Badder-Ass Raiden Revealed For MGS: Rising

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
generic gamer said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
generic gamer said:
Furburt said:
God, they really took all those "Raiden was a pussy in MGS2" comments to heart, didn't they?
It's a pity, I liked Raiden. Raiden was someone who's entire life was spent fighting for other people's ends and being forced to be something he's not. He knew he was being used but felt it was all he deserved basically. People fail to appreciate the difference between 'emo whiny *****' and 'understandably traumatised'.
Oh dear god, THIS.
Another example is Hope, from Final Fantasy 13. They complain about the angst and emo-ness but, the kid watched his mother plummet to her death for god's sake.
Cloud Strife gets it in the neck a bit too, but in chronological order:

He failed at the one thing he wanted to do in his life.
He failed to protect the woman he loved.
He watched his village burn to the ground, including his mother and everyone he'd ever known growing up.
He was injected with a virus that began to aggressively over-write his mind.
His only supporting friend was killed protecting him.
He fails to protect the OTHER woman he loves and is mocked about it over her corpse.
He is told he has no free will and has it proved, his memories exposed as false.
He ends up crippled, immersed in the screams of a dying planet...

Then he comes back from all of that and succeeds. That's not emo, that's the opposite if anything!

So yeah, Raiden is an ex child soldier who's been used more times than a Woodstock urinal and is told that his entire life has been a massive test-run at producing super soldiers. His very name is a joke! His pregnant wife was manipulating him to make him play along and his commanding officer has nothing but disdain for him. That alone'd be enough to tip most people into therapy forever, but he comes back and wins.

But apparently that's just whining. This is what I say about the futility of trying to write complex characters for gamers, we say we want it but do we fuck!
I'm quoting you all guys, because lots truth there. Seriously, maybe some people spent all their time locked up in one room playing video games, but in real life you face real problems which really affect you, and all the characters that were mentioned here really faced some incredible problems so they kinda *have* the right to be whiny, to an extent of course, and yet to stay strong and keep fighting for what they believe in.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I... I thought it was an electro-shrimp.

I was hoping MGS: Rising was going to be a fishing sim.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Treblaine said:
Gladion said:

Treblaine said:
I'm sorry but MGS2 does make sense. The Patriots choose Raiden to test of GW they made the Big Shell aka "memories of shadow Moses"

Back in MGS1 Snake asked a lot question when Liquid was explaining the Human Genome project. Snake was just as clueless as Snake was on his mission as well
"The Patriots choose Raiden to test of GW they made the Big Shell aka 'memories of shadow Moses' "

that does Not make ANY sense. GW makes no sense, why do they need some (supposed) ex-child soldier to "test GW"

Who makes an ENTIRE FACILITY just to recreate the "memories" of a character for a completely different character who has no memories of said thing? They build Big Shell on top in a retarded attempt to conceal the assembly of Arsenal Gear (oh god the stupidity of locating a building project so close to a major population centre and amongst such a high profile clean-up... so dumb)

MGS2 is full of bullshit that makes no sense only seeks to hide it amongst the confusion of endless exposition:
Like Snake letting Ninja/Olga electrocute and capture Raiden only to release him later, don't tell me that was to get him onto Arsenal gear, Snake got on just fine: Lazy Writing. Couldn't be bothered to code for an infiltration scene onto arsenal. And how did Olga and Snake come to work together?!? Last time they were trying to kill each other.

GW is the bullshit idea that one supercomputer can control all information to control a country, that is such an unmitigated bullshit anti-climax that I want to break my PS2 when I heard it. it's some bullshit that an artist like David Hockney would come up with and absolutely NO ONE takes remotely seriously nor even bothers to entertain the thought.

Another thing: if the Colonel Campbell is a virtual reality construct by GW over codec... who did Raiden know in real life? Who PHYSICALLY sent him on this mission? If he has not really been in Foxhound, where has he been?! MGS1 explained all this with the "Briefing" option as Solid Snake has a recorded conversation with the Colonel to ask all the questions he likes and in the process drop in how he ended up in a nuclear submarine speeding towards an Alaskan archipelago and what he was going before.

MGS1 stayed just on the right side of "dumb but serviceable" with the human genome project as it was just Liquid's insane ranting about "recessive genes" at least it served to explain their common lineage and was justification for Liquid's antagonism to Snake.
Mut MGS2 just goes too far, they say that even though the human-genome project only found 30-40 thousand genes the script retardation says "no actually there are 100 thousand genes". WHY?
-Because an early ESTIMATE a wild guess by scientists thought there would be 100-thousand (truth is many genes have double functions hence the discrepancy between predicted and actual)
-the remaining 60-thousand genes were "suppressed" an the scientific papers "subtly altered" to the point that the thousands of scientists around the world all accept that 60% OF THEIR FUCKING DATA IS JUST GONE!!!! Are you fucking kidding me?!?!
-The justification: "Well, are YOU a geneticists? have you counted the genes yourself" HO-LEE-FUCK! That is the most retarded thing to say in the world, that's like saying "9/11 it was all a hoax, oh yeah how can you contradict me WHERE YOU THERE?"
-Oh and they imply that those 60-thousand genes contained genes "The Patriots didn't want the world to know about" which is just shamelessly stupid and shows an incredible amount of ignorance on how genes actually make a phenotype. Genes just make proteins, a couple proteins or another won't make you a super soldier nor super-anything, it's the combination of ALL the genes in the right balance.

The gene/meme thing was a lame subplot but then it became THE plot. Mainly because Kojima has no clue about the significance of memes and the idea he does have is boring as some 13 year old's philosophy thesis that is more interested in word plays than actual conundrums.

MGS1's plot was ALWAYS on course and clear, it was all about nuclear blackmail to build a genome army. That was the plot and the theme, stop the terrorists, save the world, hopefully get the girl.

Rule number 1: the plot is ONLY THERE for the characters, to give them motivation and bring out aspects of them-self. If the characters are lame or poorly fleshed out, the plot is pointless for the audience.

The worst part is The Patriots are a completely unseen and completely unbelievable foe, all you have is a bunch of very crazy characters rabbit on about what they may or may not have done, they seem more like a figment of the conspiracist imagination. And I'm sorry but it is 100% BULLSHIT that democracy is a massive facade set up by The Patriots in America. Or at least if you say that you have to offer some compelling proof than a totally unbelievable president simply saying so, that is NOT ENOUGH. Just because it is stated in banal exposition doesn't make it remotely believable.

That's the problem with MGS2's plot... endless... endless... dry exposition. The plot is LITERALLY told to you by the characters, often even more lazily if two people are in the same room they'll switch to codec - using the bullshit excuse that "oooh, someone could be listening". Bullshit.

And don't tell me MGS2 was carefully constructed as the final justification for Raiden fighting Solidus is:
"Yeah, you better fight him coz we got your real girlfriend and we'll kill her. Also we got the baby of some woman that you barely know, we'll kill the baby too."

Oh yeah, it all comes down to some bullshit like THAT!?!? Dastardly shit like that?

The final confrontation is beyond ridiculous, everyone is revealed to be a Patriot double or triple agent. The problem is this is devoid of reason as no one had any idea what they were supposed to be doing in the first place let alone what they actually were doing.

It is a fucking mess of bullshit, the S3 program has two different contradicting explanations and absolutely no proof it really exists at all and again, to spite all this mess... where is the drama? I have no idea what they are fighting for and it is just a mess

MGS1 had a neat plot to centre around the homicidal sibling rivalry, with the practical plot being nuclear blackmail with a superweapon.

but Raiden's supposed paternal link to Solidus is paper thin. He was adopted at quite an old age (not a baby) and was used as a child soldier (sound more like just plain old kidnapping to me) which he doesn't remember anyway. So, no blood link + no memorial link = no fucking link between those characters! If there was, there is no way an audience can feel it, it's just mentioned in banal exposition and delivered with such lack of emotion or context.

The "I am you Father... kinda" is just SOOOO blatantly tacked on at the last minute, it was not built up to at all. I mean when Solidus met Raiden before the torture scene (rip-off from MGS1) there was NO RECOGNITION, no acknowledgement nor even hint of any connection from either of them. Just villain A vs "hero" B.

The reason for the final fight with Solidus is pointless and makes no sense "Huahh lets dual to the death, for no reason", The Patriot's exposition/explanation is contradictory and makes even less sense. It's not clear what happened, nothing makes sense, a gigantic ship just crashed through New York to likely kill millions and people are just milling about as if going to work like normal, ignoring the two commandos strapped with guns and swords. And how DID Snake get there if he dived off the side of the ship? Did he swim that far just to high-five Raiden and tell him some bullshit about doing what he wants with his life?

Actually, when Raiden had the ridiculously easy fight with TWENTY FIVE metal gear Rays (I thought each one was supposed to beat the original Rex?) it happens in some strange endless dream-scape, it looks like virtual reality. Then a platform rises up and they're on top of the ship... WHAT THE FUCK!?!?

The game was boring after the tanker and it became trite and surreal at the ending on Arsenal Gear. The retardation and stupidity sets up such an incredible mess the fact that MGS4 had to somehow explain and simultaneously ignore huge parts of MGS2 doomed it to be a mediocre story at best.

So in conclusion:

Worst. game. Ever.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Treblaine said:
fucking snip
I suppose you're doing a comedic performance, a satire on angry nerds all over the world getting upset over nothing. You succeeded, it was very funny :)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Gladion said:
Treblaine said:
fucking snip
I suppose you're doing a comedic performance, a satire on angry nerds all over the world getting upset over nothing. You succeeded, it was very funny :)
Well, I'm a big fan of Red Letter Media's "review" of the Star Wars prequels trilogy.

Yeah, it's a self-parody but even though it's funny... it is still all very true. MGS2 really is the Worst. Game. Ever.

I'd really love to do a Let's Play of MGS2... so who knows, if I ever find the time and the recording equipment. It a LOT of fucking cutscenes to get through, might try a fusion Let's-Play/Speedrun/team-4-star-style-Abridged-cutscenes.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
hmmmm MSG4 was a little too action packed for me

it was like "oh no a guard spotted me, i'm just gonna crouch in this corner and shoot everything until i have "escaped""

this is gonna be like

"BESERK WITH THE SWORD"

bye bye stealth :(

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
thenumberthirteen said:
So he's MORE powerful than MGS4? The guy who spun 2 Gekkos in the air and STOPPED A GIANT OCEAN LINER WITH ONE ARM. Damn.
You know if he's anything like his MGS4 self then this game is going to be a lot less stealth and a lot more Devil May Cry.

Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. I mean if your controling I cyborg ninja you want to be able to do that stuff, right?
Or a lot more Zone of the Enders concidering the company. Again, still possibly not a bad thing. Kojima can make fast paced action, he's proved it before with The Second Runner.

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
Ghostkai said:
SteinFaust said:
Ghostkai said:
Furburt said:
God, they really took all those "Raiden was a pussy in MGS2" comments to heart, didn't they?
Exact thoughts crossed my mind.
It's like they said "Fine, you want a badass? HERE! Now he's got spikes and is holding a dude's spine - THAT HARDCORE ENOUGH FOR YOU?"

To which I chuckle and respond "Where is Snake?"
i ,on the other hand, reply: "Raiden leaks copious amounts of semen when 'shot' or 'stabbed'-- Snake>Raiden."
Good lord.... My eyes!
You've offically scarred my mind SteinFaust lol.
boom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61cCBUWNQM

lol btw the end of my last post reads as "snake is greater than raiden". it has nothing to do with the theme of the prior sentence in that post.