Baldur's Gate Countdown Begins Again

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Baldur's Gate Countdown Begins Again

A new countdown timer is ticking away at the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition website! What could it mean?

In order to figure out what could be waiting at the end of the timer currently winding down at baldursgate.com [http://www.baldursgate.com/], it would be useful to consider what we already know. The update to the classic BioWare RPG will feature all the old content plus a bunch of new stuff - characters, quests, music - and will include the original games and the expansions, in two separate editions (one for each game), for both the PC and the Apple iPad.

What don't we know? When it will come out and how much it will cost, for two, points which are actually mentioned on the site, just above the timer. All that developer Overhaul Games has said about it is "this summer" and "not much," which is encouraging but not terribly specific. Is it a good bet that these mysteries will soon be solved? I think it is.

Also of interest is the background image on the site, which now contains two, and perhaps three, faces that I don't recognize. I won't say who - it's more fun to figure it out on your own - and the faded, dark sepia tone of the image makes it hard to judge, but from what I can see, they look good, and they look like they belong. There's a new quote in the source, too: "'Evil' is a term wept by the weak and the defeated. What have I done? I have cleansed the world of a band of treacherous dogs." Sounds ominous!

The secret will be out by Thursday afternoon but since there's not a lot of time left in the countdown and we already know about the Enhanced Editions, the platforms and the approximate release window, there's really nothing of heavyweight value left to reveal. Still, it's always fun to speculate, and so I'm calling it for real this time: Baldur's Gate 3. These are heady times, friends. Heady times indeed.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
You know Trent Oster has said he wants to do BG3 right? That it depends entirely on the success of these enhanced editions?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Hmmm.

*opens cabinet, pulls out original giant cardboard Baldur's Gate multi CD case*

*examines CDs, ponders installing*

...I really should condense these all into one dvd...

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
I'm... sorta excited. I love Baldur's Gate and I haven't played it in a while, so I'll have something to play in the long, boring summer.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
oh this is so going on my soon to be delivered ipad. right next to chrono trigger

The-Fletch

Mar 19, 2011
There are only two characters that I don't recognize on the front page. Maybe they're updated portraits for existing characters. I've got a feeling that I'll be spending some money in 36 hour's time.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Looks like five new NPCs: the woman next to Kivan, the Orc next to Minsc, the scarred man between Branwen and Montaron, and the two men in the upper right corner.

Then again, these might just be updated portraits for existing characters...

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Here's hoping that it is BG3.

"Jump on my sword while you can evil. I will not be so gentle."

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
I have only one statement for Overhaul Games and its promised product: "Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you."

Yosharian said:
I'm hoping that there will be some non-magic characters added to the game. I pretty much only have one idea left for a playthrough, and that's an entirely non-magic party. Yep, should be interesting trying to defeat Kangaxx!
Solo him with Protection From Magic Scroll plus Improved Mace of Disruption?

Palmerama

Jul 23, 2011
Really looking forward to this! Here's a question for you; What do Minsc & Whinnie the Pooh have in common?

They are both voiced by the same actor Jim Cummings! He also does the voices for Gorion & Tigger!

Can't wait!

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Looks like five new NPCs: the woman next to Kivan, the Orc next to Minsc, the scarred man between Branwen and Montaron, and the two men in the upper right corner.

Then again, these might just be updated portraits for existing characters...
The first three portraits you mention are new, whilst the other two are pre-existing. The one on the right of those two is I believe the portrait for Ajantis, a Paladin you encounter on the road to Baldur's Gate itself.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
Haagrum said:
I have only one statement for Overhaul Games and its promised product: "Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you."

Yosharian said:
I'm hoping that there will be some non-magic characters added to the game. I pretty much only have one idea left for a playthrough, and that's an entirely non-magic party. Yep, should be interesting trying to defeat Kangaxx!
Solo him with Protection From Magic Scroll plus Improved Mace of Disruption?
Waste a precious Scroll of Protection from Magic on Kangaxx!? NO!

There's a much easier way. Any +4 or more weapon, and you also require the Daystar.

Spawn Gaxx (pickpocket him as he is still non-hostile, if you can, for an extra Ring of Gaxx...), clock where he appears, start casting the Daystar's bound spell - this does massive damage and interrupts any spell he tries to cast - it usually does enough to cause his dialogue/transformation into Demilich. Now once that happens, just whack Protection from Undead on all characters you want to engage him, and hit him repeatedly. It takes a while, so oils of speed might be necessary (they last longer than the spell). Eventually he falls, and no Protection from Magic scroll is necessary!

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
The counter will reveal when the Enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast will be released and how much they will cost. Probably it will also reveal what platforms it will be initially released on and where you can download it.

The day to honour, I've updated my avatar to suite. Obviously, I'm Joos' barely contained excitement. "Magic is impressive, but now, MINSC LEADS! SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!!" etc etc.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Still, it's always fun to speculate, and so I'm calling it for real this time: Baldur's Gate 3. These are heady times, friends. Heady times indeed.
Pfft. Clearly this is Baldur's Gate 3,4, and 5. Each face represents a sequel. Also, since there are three of them, I wouldn't be surprised if we also got Half-Life 3 out of this deal.