Basement Dweller

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
RJ 17 said:
shirkbot said:
McMarbles said:
Man, all this straw being flung around. If I was a mule, I'd be eating like a king.
Silly goose, mules don't eat straw :p

But seriously, I have no idea what's going on here, so that (horrible) joke's all I've got.
Here's what I've gathered: some guy wanted to hold a rally/panel/get-together/seminar/whatever so that he could spread his belief that rape should be legal while in/on private property. Backlash ensued, naturally, and the rally/panel/get-together/seminar/whatever was cancelled.

Apparently this situation has caused everyone to once again shit their pants and start barking at one another.
That's partially the case from what I've gathered. He was holding meetings all over the world but there's no way he was actually going to be present at all of them (or any of them if he really expected this backlash), the reason for the meetings being some vague explanation along the lines of building a closer community (but nothing to indicate he'd be talking about the legalize rape thing). The media blew the whole thing out of proportion with equally vague, poorly cited articles that and led people to draw all sorts of wild conclusions and incited backlash from around the world along with possible threats of violence. Roosh, "fearing for the safety" of his site's members, cancelled the meetings. He was eventually found at his mother's where the daily mail said he was living, but then retracted the statement because they actually didn't know where he was living.

His official story is that he does not want to legalize rape and the article in question was satire, and the rape accusations are from an out of context passage in a book, and that much of what was described was fictionalized bravado that doesn't properly reflect the situation that occurred.

Common speculation is that he's backpedaling and full of shit. I personally think that, even if he were telling the truth, he still promotes rape with his pick up tactics and has likely employed them at some point, so he's still a rape-advocate and has likely raped someone himself. So basically the facehugger in the comic.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Cecilo said:
Great. So when are you going to create a comic about radical feminists?

"I feel that man-hating is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them. Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor"

"I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig. Andrea Dworkin"

"The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men. Sharon Stone"

"The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race. Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future ? If There Is One ? Is Female"

"Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience. Catherine Comins"

And I will await the inevitable "Those aren't real feminists" and the "Those are just taken out of context" or "Those are just jokes", because only women get to decide who is for what when it suits them.
To paraphrase the gamergaters, if you don't like it, make your own comic.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
It might seem weird, but seeing this one again makes me enjoy the Roosh comic a bit more... I'd prefer a more mocking look at radical feminism to balance out the PUA stuff, but at least there's something.

But it's okay, I'm beginning to think that maybe this comic just isn't for me. I'm a big fan of Erin Dies Alone so far, though (I think it's the continuous narrative and me getting in on the ground floor that I'm digging).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This is why I love the comments sections; you guys explain the jokes I miss in some of these strips. It would have helped if Grey and Corey put a few more tags under it, or a paragraph to explain who they're targeting.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
erttheking said:
Geisterkarle said:
This Roosh is a stupid jerk.
But have you actually read his article about "make rape legal"?
If you really take this seriously, could you message me? Because I have some magic beans for you to sell...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
Oh don't compare Johnathan Swift to this fucking hack. Johnathan Swift had a brain in his skull instead of extra bollocks. Johnathan Swift cared about the Irish and their plight, the point he was making was that the British was treating the Irish so poorly that they might as well just be eating babies, that is what he was satirizing. The joke moral of a Modest Proposal couldn't be farther away from what he actually thought.

Meanwhile Roosh's "Satire" of rape is suspiciously similar to his regular MO of "Women are inferior" and "women who have sex are only good as fleshlights" and "Democracy is bad because men don't have all the power anymore." All of which in articles posted on his website in the last month. So what the hell is he satirizing? That's the thing about satire. You have to actually satirize something. You can't just spew out whatever the hell you feel like and just say "Oh it was a joke," or "JK lol".

Oh and there's the fact that he only said it was satire after a massive backlash and even before that he told people not to get pissy over what he believed.
Thank you. If there's one thing that really grinds my gonads it's the "It was all satire har har don't you get it" excuse people trot out whenever they get hit with a backlash for being offensive. I don't really need to add anything because you've said it all.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Pedantry:

Facehuggers aren't male, they have ovipositers (oviposters?).

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
Some want equal pay for equal work (the fiends!).
Which they pretty much have as much as men do. When you account for education, hours worked, career choices, experience, and the fact that men are more likely to want to negotiate (and plenty of men don't negotiate or suck at negotiating too) the pay gap shrinks into nothing. This is why feminist rhetoric is sort of turning to acknowledge that and saying "Oh, well WHY do women choose lower paying professions" (not like a species with sexual dimorphism will have tendencies for different preferences).

I remember in my human sexuality class (it was either that or gym) my professor introduced it as a social justice class but she still a month in talked about how at least part of the pay gap can be blamed on women for not negotiating, related a story where her friend lost $15k a year because she just took the first offer on the table.

The message STARTED as Equal rights between Genders. And certain fractions took the idea and amped it up or dialed it down. With every movement.
The problem is the issues at this point are subtle yet when you label yourself a feminist you are already using gender-biased language , FEMinist. The kind of people who have properly dialed down their rhetoric and points to be fitting for the times don't call themselves feminists much anymore.

So you have people that see that the total number of woman workers in the country made 77% of the total number of male workers and call that the patriarchy, sometimes even pretending that is for equal work, when the real gap for equal work is 7% (which is accounted for by the difference in negotiations).

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Again, literally who? How the hell did this guy and his site get so stupidly popular? I keep thinking of Rooks and Kings every time someone mentions it.

LifeCharacter said:
So which is actually the second part? The advocating rape bit? Because, and maybe it's just different and awful wherever you live, but getting women drunk for the express purpose of diminishing their judgment so that they'll have sex with you is considered rape. And that just so happens to be what he advocates.
I gotta ask for source on that because I'm looking everywhere and all I'm hearing is accusations and not much in the way of a source that doesn't involve parroting another source saying the same thing with no direct evidence.

Jofe

Feb 3, 2010
axlryder said:
RJ 17 said:
shirkbot said:
McMarbles said:
Man, all this straw being flung around. If I was a mule, I'd be eating like a king.
Silly goose, mules don't eat straw :p

But seriously, I have no idea what's going on here, so that (horrible) joke's all I've got.
Here's what I've gathered: some guy wanted to hold a rally/panel/get-together/seminar/whatever so that he could spread his belief that rape should be legal while in/on private property. Backlash ensued, naturally, and the rally/panel/get-together/seminar/whatever was cancelled.

Apparently this situation has caused everyone to once again shit their pants and start barking at one another.
That's partially the case from what I've gathered. He was holding meetings all over the world but there's no way he was actually going to be present at all of them (or any of them if he really expected this backlash), the reason for the meetings being some vague explanation along the lines of building a closer community (but nothing to indicate he'd be talking about the legalize rape thing). The media blew the whole thing out of proportion with equally vague, poorly cited articles that and led people to draw all sorts of wild conclusions and incited backlash from around the world along with possible threats of violence. Roosh, "fearing for the safety" of his site's members, cancelled the meetings. He was eventually found at his mother's where the daily mail said he was living, but then retracted the statement because they actually didn't know where he was living.

His official story is that he does not want to legalize rape and the article in question was satire, and the rape accusations are from an out of context passage in a book, and that much of what was described was fictionalized bravado that doesn't properly reflect the situation that occurred.

Common speculation is that he's backpedaling and full of shit. I personally think that, even if he were telling the truth, he still promotes rape with his pick up tactics and has likely employed them at some point, so he's still a rape-advocate and has likely raped someone himself.
The whole thing about a massive amount of gatherings around the world was nothing more than fear mongering. There wasn't going to be any type of make rape legal discussion at that size (Can't attest to the one where he was present though, but I doubt it) or any kind of gathering at all. The whole thing about legalizing rape seems to be more related as a counter argument against the feminist idea of "teach men not to rape" with him wanting women to be more accountable of their own safety. Now don't get me wrong, seeing some of his statements I too think the guy is a giant asshole, but this is only another example of the usual feminist trend of making things look worse than they are.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
axlryder said:
Ah, so it's basically a bunch of people braying at one another when no one really knows what they're talking about with regards to the situation.

Sounds about par for the course in terms of internet controversies.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Ok. This guy has some horrible opinions about women... What's the joke? That he's depicted as a facehugger? That his mum might be angry?

I don't get it, maybe I'm missing something?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Lunncal said:
Ok. This guy has some horrible opinions about women... What's the joke? That he's depicted as a facehugger? That his mum might be angry?

Apparently it's more of a reference to a previous panel but even then the joke just doesn't really seem... there.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Lunncal said:

The context being that some newspaper found him in his mom's basement. Originally they reported he was living there (later they retracted it because they weren't sure he was in fact living there)

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I really really don't understand the appeal of this neo-masculinity bullshit, not only is it restricting what a woman could be, but also what men could be. Return of Kings really needs to widen their perspective, I understand they really really want the 30's back, but their not coming back.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
Cecilo said:

"I feel that man-hating is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them. Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor"

"I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig. Andrea Dworkin"

"The more famous and powerful I get the more power I have to hurt men. Sharon Stone"

"The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race. Sally Miller Gearhart, in The Future ? If There Is One ? Is Female"

"Men who are unjustly accused of rape can sometimes gain from the experience. Catherine Comins"

And I will await the inevitable "Those aren't real feminists" and the "Those are just taken out of context" or "Those are just jokes", because only women get to decide who is for what when it suits them.
Oh, no. They are real feminists.

And they are wrong.

Just like this guy is wrong.

There is a difference between the Followers of a Movement and the Fringes of a movement.

On the Base, Feminists want equal rights.

Then you go to the different levels of Feminists. Some think that the Patriarchy needs to be subverted for the Matriarchy. Some think all men are rapists waiting to happen. Some want equal pay for equal work (the fiends!). The message STARTED as Equal rights between Genders. And certain fractions took the idea and amped it up or dialed it down. With every movement.

I'll be very, very honest... I'm not really sure what the movement this Roosh guy is a subsect of. But I'm sure there are people more militant than he is. And I'm sure there are people in the same movement who thinks he is extreme.

So, my point is thus; Picking people who are inherently wrong to compare to another person who is inherently wrong doesn't disprove or prove anything. It just deadlocks the issue. To say all of a movement is encapsulated by those we vehemently abhor ignores the truth about humanity that there is no black or white, but every perceivable type of grey imaginable.

Brush off the loud haters, talk moderately with those who will listen, move on with life.
None of those people he listed were on the fringe of Feminism. None of those quotes were outliers. This is the core of Feminist doctrine.

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Roosh V wants media attention. The more he gets the more...you know what I think I've said this enough time before that I may as well give up on a lot of people realizing this.

The phrase no publicity is bad publicity exists for a reason and Roosh V knows this, for every 1,000 people who read this and laugh there will be 1 crazy enough to read his dogma and agree with him. People are literally(unintentionally) promoting his cult.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
PhiMed said:
ObsidianJones said:
Cecilo said:

Oh, no. They are real feminists.

And they are wrong.

Just like this guy is wrong.

There is a difference between the Followers of a Movement and the Fringes of a movement.

On the Base, Feminists want equal rights.

Then you go to the different levels of Feminists. Some think that the Patriarchy needs to be subverted for the Matriarchy. Some think all men are rapists waiting to happen. Some want equal pay for equal work (the fiends!). The message STARTED as Equal rights between Genders. And certain fractions took the idea and amped it up or dialed it down. With every movement.

I'll be very, very honest... I'm not really sure what the movement this Roosh guy is a subsect of. But I'm sure there are people more militant than he is. And I'm sure there are people in the same movement who thinks he is extreme.

So, my point is thus; Picking people who are inherently wrong to compare to another person who is inherently wrong doesn't disprove or prove anything. It just deadlocks the issue. To say all of a movement is encapsulated by those we vehemently abhor ignores the truth about humanity that there is no black or white, but every perceivable type of grey imaginable.

Brush off the loud haters, talk moderately with those who will listen, move on with life.
None of those people he listed were on the fringe of Feminism. None of those quotes were outliers. This is the core of Feminist doctrine.
CITATION NEEDED

Do you have any proof that those aren't just fringe members? Every movement has crazy people in it. Roosh is a good example of a crazy in the men right's movement (even if he claims he doesn't represent them, apparently), but no one is making that claim that he represents the entire MRA movement. He's a loon with scary views, just as the women you quoted are.