Bass in music

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My boyfriends a bassist... He's always like "blah blah you can hear the bass is too loud in this song blah blah, it's out of tune slightly blah blah etc" or something.
His ex nearly broke up with him when he took up bass because "no one dates the bassist." One more thing to fuel my anger if I meet her to be honest.
I pay more attention to it since I've been with him, every instrument has it's place in a song.

Gloomsta

Oct 27, 2011
If people seriously think Bass isnt important, then they know shit about music.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
Bass is not important at all. Just ask Paul McCartney, Flea, Lee Rocker, Les Claypool or the guys from Sublime or Cake (don't know their names and I'm too lazy to look them up), or Brazilian bands Skank, Autoramas, Jota Quest etc. Or any jazz musician. Or any other bassist really, they will all tell you the same: bass is worthless!

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Bass is extremely important, it ties the rhythm to the notes...it's what you get when you give the drums a melody.

It also gives the band...well...bass.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Yes, bass is important. I'd go as far as to say its central to a song, along with drums. The bass and drums are what carry and hold the song - they are the heart or bedrock. Sometimes, they are the attraction to the song.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'm a bassist and a guitarist (but a bassist first!), and of course, I love the bass. It's not even that it has to be complicated, like The Pixies'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxytSH_piRQ

You just can't make shit sound as good without the bass. It's so brilliantly versatile without needing to be complicated. It's not that it's necessarily simple or even easier than a guitar, it's just usually horrendously underused. Besides, it's more fun to play than a guitar.

FilipJPhry said:
Best bass players alive:
Cliff Burton(Metallica),
Uhhhh... You sure about that?

StevenSuffern

Feb 1, 2011
If you don't have bass, your music will sound like it's being played from a 1940's stereo. Admittedly I listen to a shite-ton of electronic dance music, so yeah bass is HUGE for me XD. But if you took bass out of other types of music, it would sound incomplete

CScuff

Jan 14, 2011
Roger Waters. Flea Balzary. Victor Wooten. Geddy Lee. John Myung. No. No, bass is definitely necessary. Sure, it isn't often a foreground instrument, but most music would sound like shit without it. You can argue that there are bands that don't use a bassist, and just feature MOAR GUITARS. However, look at the Crash Kings. They feature a bassist, a drummer, and a pianist. And they don't need a guitarist one bit. The bass holds the whole thing together while the piano plays melodies and the drums keep time.

I play bass too.

It isn't ALWAYS necessary, but I can think of more occasions where it is.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Bass is incredibly important to the composition and performance of a song. It can be difficult to distinguish a bass line but you'll immediately realise when a song doesn't have one.

It really is a shame that drummers and bassists are considered unimportant, when, really, they provide what I consider to be the most crucial elements. They provide the foundations of a tune, establish how it paces itself and fill out everything in between.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
The bass acts like a mix betwen drums and guitars to help hold the band together and harmonize. I for one love shredding on my bass and laying down some funky noise!

bass rocks and is probably the most difficult instruments in a rock band (in my opinion) to get down to find the perfect tune to blend the music, if you fail, you sound off or cheap. (note, punk bands not withstanding)

also, Cliff Burton (metallica) -Anesthisia.......nuff said.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Grimsinger said:
necromanzer52 said:
I'm a bassist myself. I really dislike all that slap & pop stuff though. The ox never needed any of that bullshit.
Just outta curiosity, what don't you like about it?
Hard to say, really. I just don't think it sounds good.

JFrog84

Jan 13, 2011
Bass is one of the most important instruments in a band it sets the groove and is the driving force behind the whole song.

6SteW6 said:
Dude just listen to some RHCP, listen to Flea's awesome bassing and you will know that bass can be a hell of an instrument. People don't see it as an important instrument but it's not about what you play it's how you play and the energy you produce while playing that will get others into it.
I really wish people would stop using flea as a case for bass being a good instrument he's not even that good really. If you want one the best bassists check out James Jamerson he is essentially Mr Motown http://youtu.be/5pVM00eoohI

or Jack Bruce Clapton described him as playing lead on bass http://youtu.be/L3GIQ86eu6c

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
EeveeElectro said:
His ex nearly broke up with him when he took up bass because "no one dates the bassist."
What?
I've always heard that bassists get the most girls.
Maybe except for singers.

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
Grimsinger said:
I was curious how important people though bass, as in bass guitar, was in music. I play bass, and I've had a lot of stabs taken at me from friends and roommates telling me that 'bassists don't matter', or 'no one listens to the song for bass'. While I know this isn't true, I was curious as to what everyone else else though. I'd like ya'll to be honest as to weather or not you care/think its important/listen for it/ect.
I like the sound of the bass guitar more than a regular guitar.

drumguy818

Oct 12, 2011
Tell these people to listen to Rush, Primus, The Who, Yes, RHCP, and Led Zeppelin (there are a lot more, but I don't feel like listing every single one right now). If they still think the bass is unnecessary, congratulations, you officially gain the right to smack them with a baseball bat.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
The bass is extremely important. The notes that the bass player uses essentially sets up the harmony for the rest of the band.

And since we're talking about bass...

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Vivi22 said:
I just thought of rush as good example, In my school, they had an obesssive fixation on the choir and piano so most other instruments and genres were neglected, a shame since it resulted in a lack of interst of music beyond singing hymns/pop song/trad music.

Rush is a great example since they are fantastic musicians yet still widely known.
Ahhhh, a fellow Rush fan.

Alas there are far too few of us in this world.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Bass isn't a glamorous instrument, it's true, and an average bass player is completely forgettable.

But sometimes in a band I'm drawn more to the bass/bass player than any other instrument. RHCP and Phish are two big examples.

The problem is that if a bass player tries too hard, he can be distracting.

NubiJuan

Aug 1, 2010
There was a time when I didn't understand what the bass was or what it sounded like. Then I ran into this band and this song and I fell in love with the base. I have so much respect for the base now particularly because it has to fight to be heard making it all the more awesome when you hear it. And i have a special place in my heart of metal songs in which you can hear the bassist grooving out on top of twin guitar riffs. Also love that rattle thing that some bassists do

<youtube=BLhWa9eyQ_k>
<youtube=6O9zMnwD65Q>

so yeah what was that about the bass not being important?