Batman and Robin

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Okay, I'll be honest and controversial in saying this: its a bad movie, but I don't think its one of the worst superhero films ever made. Like I said, I'm not denying its a bad movie. However, I don't think its the definition of everything bad in superhero films.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I never hated it, neither do I hate Batman Forever, but the both of them are ill conceived follow-ups to Burton's movies which are, in my opinion, not only among the best Batman movies but among the best superhero movies ever made. I think Returns might very well have been my favourite live action Batman movie in general, until I saw v Superman. They were very gothic and stylicized but nevertheless they took themselves and their characters pretty seriously and then you get Joel Schumacher turning what was meant to be the same universe into this carnivalesque farce.

Now, I wouldn't usually be opposed to playing Batman as a farce and I don't think Schumacher's approach of treating his movies as a sort of revival of 60s Batman, the Adam West one,was an inherently bad idea. Batman can work as a comedy but... well, aside from it not really having been the right time for it it also wasn't nearly as witty or as creative as 60s Batman was. Again, I don't hate it, I don't think there's any Batman movie I strongly dislike, aside from maybe Dark Knight Rises and even that gave us the plane scene.

Batman and Robin wasn't good but it was by no means bad like, say, Catwoman or Suicide Squad was bad.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
And thus we come full circle. And you lectured me about Batman vs Superman.

But yes I don't think Batman and Robin is the worse thing ever aswell especially as a kid watching it, and I still think Comic Books themselves has made far worse than any superhero movie.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
It's been forever since I watched it (well, kinda; I remember just turning the TV off around the 40-minute mark), but even taken in its own terms, I can't really fathom the thought process that went into its making.

"Hey, you know what we should draw inspiration from for this sequel to the Tim Burton movies? The Adam West series!"

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I always had a soft spot for Batman Forever and & Robin, though I have to admit that after having rewatched The Animated Series a few years ago and rewatching The Dark Knight more times than I could count, it left me kinda unable to really handle the portrayals of Batman in the Burton/Schumacher films. I still don't think they're awful, but they're just not the kind of Batman that I enjoy.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Looking at the state of the film industry now, the idea that Batman & Robin was once considered the death of superhero films is hilarious in retrospect.

I personally never hated it and there have certainly been several worse comic book adaptions since though that's hardly going to affect its reputation now.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Yikes, that piece of trash is a warning against making movies while overdosing on, I don't even know, neon inhalation?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Batman and Robin is not a good movie. But I can enjoy it. It's unintentionally hilarious (at least, I think it is).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I liked it. Yeah, it's a silly movie, but Batman is inherently silly. He's a furry, and him and his furry friends fight a clown and his girlfriend. I don't have a problem with that, but I don't think it should be taken too seriously.

IMHO, Batman Begins was lucky to have been able to be dark and still not rubbish.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
And thus we come full circle. And you lectured me about Batman vs Superman.

But yes I don't think Batman and Robin is the worse thing ever aswell especially as a kid watching it, and I still think Comic Books themselves has made far worse than any superhero movie.
Again I'm fine if you liked BvS. Opinions can be different. I hated it and you thought it was meh. That's fine.

I think that's cool we can agree upon that. :)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
It had Robin. Thats a plus. Apparently you cant have Robin anymore without twisting him into...some cop with the GIVEN NAME of Robin? WTF?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Nobody remembers Fantastic 4 reboot? Or...Fanta4tic...4an4as4i4 f4u4?

The Phantom?

Halle Berry's Catwoman film?

Dolph Lundgren's Punisher debut?

David Hasslehoff's Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Captain America 1979?

Captian America 1990?

The rabbit hole goes deeper and uglier, believe me.

Steel?

Ok, I'll stop now.

*Cough*

Ahem.

Barb Wire?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
McElroy said:
I see somebody watched Nostalgia Critic.
I don't know what or who that is. It looks vaguely familiar as if somebody else has mentioned it before though. I merely have devoted an unhealthy amount of time to the film industry in all its' terrifying and embarrassing forms. ;)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I honestly don't think it was the worst superhero movie ever. After all underneath all the goofiness there is actually a decent character arc for Bruce and Dick's characters. I think the biggest problem is that it's meant to follow on from the Tim Burton movies which were completely different in tone.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I've always thought of Batman & Robin as an homage to the '60s Batman, whether Schumacher intended it to be or not. In that respect, I can enjoy the movie unironically.

On a minor tangent, for some reason I've always felt that Schwarzenegger could have totally pulled off the Victor Fries role if he had been allowed to play it straight.

Jei-chan

Inquisitor-Hierarch
Apr 18, 2011
Saelune said:
It had Robin. Thats a plus. Apparently you cant have Robin anymore without twisting him into...some cop with the GIVEN NAME of Robin? WTF?
Dick Grayson has been Nightwing instead of Robin in the comics universe for... years now. Decades, even.

Besides, in a movie that considers itself to exist in some kind of universe at least parallel to the real world, a crime-fighting teenage sidekick for Bale-Batman would have been really dumb.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Jei-chan said:
Saelune said:
Dick Grayson has been Nightwing instead of Robin in the comics universe for... years now. Decades, even.

Besides, in a movie that considers itself to exist in some kind of universe at least parallel to the real world, a crime-fighting teenage sidekick for Bale-Batman would have been really dumb.
Robin, either Dick or one of the others, or Nightwing would all be better than Joseph Gordon Levitt's "Im Robin the cop" character.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
David Hasslehoff's Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

I dunno about acting wise, havent seen the film...but Hasslehoff visually does make a good Original Fury. Just add a touch of grey.