Batman is exactly why I don't PC game

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
A good gaming PC. Which is what I was saying mate :p

A good gaming PC > PC + console combo.

It is not just that. Physics, certain special effects, weather, wind... all those things add in to immersion and the overall experience. And hammer the hell out of the CPU.
Do games need better AI? Yes. I have ranted about that. Witcher 3 does reasonably well though. And with the things CDPR fixes it may (and probably will) get quite a bit better overall..
You still miss out on content with just a gaming PC. Same thing with a low-end PC + console too. A low-end PC can still play lots of great PC games though like Shadowrun, XCOM, Papers Please, This War of Mine, Shadow Warrior, etc. Hell, Bayonetta 2 might be the best current-gen game that's come out and I don't have access to it and neither do you. I guess, it just comes down to which content you miss out on that you care the least about.

Games don't use the CPU nearly as well as they could. For PC gaming, there's pretty much no reason to even buy top-of-the-line CPUs because games don't take advantage of them. Hell, until PS4/Xbone games didn't even really use multiple cores that well. I know games use CPUs but they could use them A LOT more. Witcher 3's AI has broken immersion more than anything else in the game.

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
I'm inclined to agree that you really shouldn't blame the platform for the shady behavior of publishers (it's not entirely the dev's fault when WB knew there were issues with the PC version and instead focused attention on creating DLC instead of fixing problems). Consoles aren't exactly the vestibules of gaming you're making them out to be. Let's not forget the complete bullshit that surrounded the xbone's launch, the fact that sony is still refusing backwards compatibility in favor of a monthly subscription based service to play games, not to mention how they "give away" "free" games through PS plus, but immediately take them away if you end your subscription (that's hardly free). And it's true, quite often do console games not work at launch or even months after it. We all remember how long it took Skyrim to work functionally on consoles, and I still see extreme glitches on my console version of fallout 3 and New Vegas. Not to mention that Witcher 3 is still bugged up the butt after like 4 patches. It's never a good thing when companies ship out broken products, but it's hardly fair to say every PC game is broken at launch, and the only difference is that if something is broken you have the ability to try and fix it. If a console game is broken and bugged, you have to hope and wait for the devs to fix it, so you're just at their mercy. Honestly, I would say stop complaining, because the way the medium is evolving it's making less and less sense to own a console.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Bayonetta cant be the best when STALKER exists :p (to be fair, I dont give a f*ck about that type of games, so you can disregard my opinion on it).

You miss out on content either way really. I know that even a bad PC can play some of the PC's best games, as it, unlike the consoles, has backwards compatibility.

I know games dont use the CPU very well. Witcher 3 uses it well, as in it uses all cores equally. But it does not need it for anything all that great anyway.
That is bad for you I guess. Nothing that cant be fixed (maybe it has issues on the PS4? Like how Metro AI had problems on the PS3).
But if AI is so important... well why are you not playing STALKeR :p?

The PS4 and Xbone CPUs are anemic.
Consoles will have BC as they will likely stick to x86 architecture. Also, PS has done BC in the past as both PS2 and PS3 play PS1 games. And PS3 did have models that played PS2 games. I don't see why PS5 won't be able to play PS4 games.

Because Stalker doesn't interest me.

The PS4's GPU is more limiting than the CPU.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ninja-Jordan said:
I'm inclined to agree that you really shouldn't blame the platform for the shady behavior of publishers (it's not entirely the dev's fault when WB knew there were issues with the PC version and instead focused attention on creating DLC instead of fixing problems). Consoles aren't exactly the vestibules of gaming you're making them out to be. Let's not forget the complete bullshit that surrounded the xbone's launch, the fact that sony is still refusing backwards compatibility in favor of a monthly subscription based service to play games, not to mention how they "give away" "free" games through PS plus, but immediately take them away if you end your subscription (that's hardly free). And it's true, quite often do console games not work at launch or even months after it. We all remember how long it took Skyrim to work functionally on consoles, and I still see extreme glitches on my console version of fallout 3 and New Vegas. Not to mention that Witcher 3 is still bugged up the butt after like 4 patches. It's never a good thing when companies ship out broken products, but it's hardly fair to say every PC game is broken at launch, and the only difference is that if something is broken you have the ability to try and fix it. If a console game is broken and bugged, you have to hope and wait for the devs to fix it, so you're just at their mercy. Honestly, I would say stop complaining, because the way the medium is evolving it's making less and less sense to own a console.
I'm not blaming the PC platform at all. I'm merely saying PC games have more issues due to the PC version being a low priority and having millions of different hardware & software configurations. The biggest issue I've seen playing probably 30 hours of Witcher 3 on PS4 is occasionally I see just a piece of clothing moving around and the character model eventually loads in, but that's been like twice or thrice. You still have large amounts of gamers that game on consoles for simple reasons; the games have less issues, and the console is put next to the TV and sound system in the living room where you can comfortably game from your couch/recliner whereas the PC is at a computer desk.

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Ninja-Jordan said:
I'm not blaming the PC platform at all. I'm merely saying PC games have more issues due to the PC version being a low priority and having millions of different hardware & software configurations. The biggest issue I've seen playing probably 30 hours of Witcher 3 on PS4 is occasionally I see just a piece of clothing moving around and the character model eventually loads in, but that's been like twice or thrice. You still have large amounts of gamers that game on consoles for simple reasons; the games have less issues, and the console is put next to the TV and sound system in the living room where you can comfortably game from your couch/recliner whereas the PC is at a computer desk.
But that's just baseless conjecture. Not every PC game is low priority, and the ones that are are from short sighted publishers who don't understand that the same amount of gamers play on PC as well as on consoles. And you're lucky cause from having my signs not work, to having the game crash completely during the fight with the ice giant (yes, on PS4 the game completely crashed for no reason and booted me back to the PS4 menu), from improper modeling so trees start 5 feet in the air rather than connect to the ground, I've seen a lot of bugs. And your point about consoles being hooked up to TV's is kind of baseless conjecture because most PC's have HDMI ports and most PC games have controller support, so they could very easily be hooked up to a TV or sound system in a living room and played comfortably. And you don't even have to go that far, just get a comfortable chair to sit on while playing at your desk. No one is forcing you to be uncomfortable while gaming from your PC. Point and click games? Gotcha covered, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, then you're gaming from your living room with ease.

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
Ninja-Jordan said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Ninja-Jordan said:
And you're wrong. Console games have the exact same issues as PC games. For example: Witcher 3's bugs. Bloodborne's exhausting load times. Splatoon's lack of content upon release (though kudos to Nintendo for continuing to update, but still, 4 maps at launch give me a fucking break) and that's to say nothing of Splatoon and Smash Bros shaky online stability. Assassin's Creed Unity's pathetic console release, Sonic Lost World being a completely broken, rushed to make the holiday release date mess of a game. There are tons of examples where console games came with just as many problems as PC games, the only difference is while the PC community works together to iron out bugs, console games you either have to deal with the shit, or take it back and have nothing.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
"Will" have are VERY strong words. They already lost 40 years of gaming.

So the PS had limited BC that it dropped. And now wants to milk money :p...

Well fair enough. But it IS the AI you are looking for. (and the best game ever made :p )
It's obvious Sony has made the effort for BC in the past, why wouldn't they continue in the future if it's possible on a technical level? Playing PS3 games on PS4 isn't possible. Plus, you can play all those old games on a shitty ass PC, which everyone has anyways. And gaming is a much different medium where there's not many games that are wanted to be replayed because game mechanics usually get better (thus older games are dated in gameplay) and games are much longer than a movie or music album, you can't just replay them in a couple hours.

The world of Stalker doesn't interest me. Most medieval fantasy RPGs don't either; I'm tired of the same races and usually shitty combat systems. That's why I haven't played an Elder Scrolls game or a Dragon Age. I'm anticipating CD Project Red's Cyberpunk a lot more than Witcher 3 because it's not medieval fantasy.

Ninja-Jordan said:
But that's just baseless conjecture. Not every PC game is low priority, and the ones that are are from short sighted publishers who don't understand that the same amount of gamers play on PC as well as on consoles. And you're lucky cause from having my signs not work, to having the game crash completely during the fight with the ice giant (yes, on PS4 the game completely crashed for no reason and booted me back to the PS4 menu), from improper modeling so trees start 5 feet in the air rather than connect to the ground, I've seen a lot of bugs. And your point about consoles being hooked up to TV's is kind of baseless conjecture because most PC's have HDMI ports and most PC games have controller support, so they could very easily be hooked up to a TV or sound system in a living room and played comfortably. And you don't even have to go that far, just get a comfortable chair to sit on while playing at your desk. No one is forcing you to be uncomfortable while gaming from your PC. Point and click games? Gotcha covered, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, then you're gaming from your living room with ease...

And you're wrong. Console games have the exact same issues as PC games. For example: Witcher 3's bugs. Bloodborne's exhausting load times. Splatoon's lack of content upon release (though kudos to Nintendo for continuing to update, but still, 4 maps at launch give me a fucking break) and that's to say nothing of Splatoon and Smash Bros shaky online stability. Assassin's Creed Unity's pathetic console release, Sonic Lost World being a completely broken, rushed to make the holiday release date mess of a game. There are tons of examples where console games came with just as many problems as PC games, the only difference is while the PC community works together to iron out bugs, console games you either have to deal with the shit, or take it back and have nothing.
It's not baseless conjecture. Witcher 3 sold more on PS4 than PC. Witcher is series that originated on PC with a strong user-base and a developer that cares about the PC who doesn't release bad PC versions. You think most other multiplatform games that are much more well-known on a console even have the slightest chance of selling more on PC if even Witcher 3 cannot? You do have more console gamers than PC gamers, it's not conjecture. Skyrim's interface was designed for the console first and foremost and sold way more on consoles. Why would Bethesda design the interface for consoles if the PC version was going to sell more? Even Diablo 3 was designed so it would play well with a controller. The PC version does get the lowest priority while having more inherent issues as it has to run on so many different hardware/software configurations.

Most people don't have their PCs located close to their TVs. It's not that you can't hook up a PC to a TV (as TVs & monitors are literally the same, it's just that TVs need speakers and a tuner to be sold as a TV). When I went to hook up my PS3 controller to my computer to play Dungeon Fighter Online so many years back, I had to download some Japanese drivers for it to work, it's just not plug and play. If you do want to play with a keyboard and mouse, you can't really lean back in a comfy chair and play that well, you'll want have the KB/M on a computer desk. The convenience factor is a huge factor. Most people know that the PC version is usually better yet they choose the console.

Game bugs (bugs on all platforms) and version specific bugs are different. Games have bugs, but you'll encounter more PC-only issues than console-only issues. I'd be guessing most of Witcher 3's bugs are game bugs as open world games usually have quite a few graphical bugs, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more bugs. Bloodborne's load times were fixed plus From is known for being horrible at coding (both on console and PC). How is a game launching with low content a console issue, that makes no sense. For every console example, I can give like 10 PC issues at least.

Ninja-Jordan

Dec 20, 2010
Phoenixmgs said:
Charcharo said:
"Will" have are VERY strong words. They already lost 40 years of gaming.

So the PS had limited BC that it dropped. And now wants to milk money :p...

Well fair enough. But it IS the AI you are looking for. (and the best game ever made :p )
It's obvious Sony has made the effort for BC in the past, why wouldn't they continue in the future if it's possible on a technical level? Playing PS3 games on PS4 isn't possible. Plus, you can play all those old games on a shitty ass PC, which everyone has anyways. And gaming is a much different medium where there's not many games that are wanted to be replayed because game mechanics usually get better (thus older games are dated in gameplay) and games are much longer than a movie or music album, you can't just replay them in a couple hours.

The world of Stalker doesn't interest me. Most medieval fantasy RPGs don't either; I'm tired of the same races and usually shitty combat systems. That's why I haven't played an Elder Scrolls game or a Dragon Age. I'm anticipating CD Project Red's Cyberpunk a lot more than Witcher 3 because it's not medieval fantasy.

Ninja-Jordan said:
But that's just baseless conjecture. Not every PC game is low priority, and the ones that are are from short sighted publishers who don't understand that the same amount of gamers play on PC as well as on consoles. And you're lucky cause from having my signs not work, to having the game crash completely during the fight with the ice giant (yes, on PS4 the game completely crashed for no reason and booted me back to the PS4 menu), from improper modeling so trees start 5 feet in the air rather than connect to the ground, I've seen a lot of bugs. And your point about consoles being hooked up to TV's is kind of baseless conjecture because most PC's have HDMI ports and most PC games have controller support, so they could very easily be hooked up to a TV or sound system in a living room and played comfortably. And you don't even have to go that far, just get a comfortable chair to sit on while playing at your desk. No one is forcing you to be uncomfortable while gaming from your PC. Point and click games? Gotcha covered, get a wireless mouse and keyboard, then you're gaming from your living room with ease...

It's not baseless conjecture. Witcher 3 sold more on PS4 than PC. Witcher is series that originated on PC with a strong user-base and a developer that cares about the PC who doesn't release bad PC versions. You think most other multiplatform games that are much more well-known on a console even have the slightest chance of selling more on PC if even Witcher 3 cannot? You do have more console gamers than PC gamers, it's not conjecture. Skyrim's interface was designed for the console first and foremost and sold way more on consoles. Why would Bethesda design the interface for consoles if the PC version was going to sell more? Even Diablo 3 was designed so it would play well with a controller. The PC version does get the lowest priority while having more inherent issues as it has to run on so many different hardware/software configurations.

Most people don't have their PCs located close to their TVs. It's not that you can't hook up a PC to a TV (as TVs & monitors are literally the same, it's just that TVs need speakers and a tuner to be sold as a TV). When I went to hook up my PS3 controller to my computer to play Dungeon Fighter Online so many years back, I had to download some Japanese drivers for it to work, it's just not plug and play. If you do want to play with a keyboard and mouse, you can't really lean back in a comfy chair and play that well, you'll want have the KB/M on a computer desk. The convenience factor is a huge factor. Most people know that the PC version is usually better yet they choose the console.

Game bugs (bugs on all platforms) and version specific bugs are different. Games have bugs, but you'll encounter more PC-only issues than console-only issues. I'd be guessing most of Witcher 3's bugs are game bugs as open world games usually have quite a few graphical bugs, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more bugs. Bloodborne's load times were fixed plus From is known for being horrible at coding (both on console and PC). How is a game launching with low content a console issue, that makes no sense. For every console example, I can give like 10 PC issues at least.
Well it's funny that you bring up skyrim, because what I remember seeing most on reddit and neogaf when that came out wasn't anything to do with the console version, it was all the amazing PC mods that were being designed for it. And speaking of the clunky stupid interface that Skyrim had, remember when that guy made that awesome PC mod that organized and optimized the menus better? I sure do: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1221976p1.html

I don't think you can confidently say it gets low priority, while having the most issues probably having never talked to any devs or anyone who codes for PC versions of games, (I myself haven't) I say we meet in the middle and say any dev/publisher who creates a game for all platforms gives equal priority to all, while trying to work out all the issues, lest they look like a bunch of shady pricks, much like Warner Bros. It's not like it's an inherent thing that when a game comes out on PC it's going to be rife with problems. And if it does, it happens equally on consoles.

And whether or not people are going to do it or not, the fact remains that you can, so the convenience of consoles is really neither here nor there. And I'm sure it was a real drag to download a few drivers, but most games that come out to steam these days have basic controller support, so that's hardly an argument. And I don't know about you, but I've played PC games from the comfort of my bed a bunch of times. Laptop on lap, mouse at my side, and I don't imagine I couldn't do that from a PC.

And I'm pretty sure people chose consoles over PC because they don't have $1500 to invest in a dedicated gaming PC. While I'll admit that the convenience factor does come in a little, it's really a numbers game. That might be why games sell better on consoles, they're easier to attain than PC because your average gamer doesn't want to have to go through the rigmarole of building a competent gaming PC, and anything out of stores is always going to cost more than a console. So it's not that people WANT consoles more than a PC, it's just that people can afford consoles over PC.

But really, a comfortable, semi-reclining office chair and a footrest and you're good to go.

And I always thought bugs come from improper coding, so console and PC versions would share the same bugs if they shared the same code, which they do for the most part. PC specific problems, I imagine, arise from improper or outdated sound cards, graphics cards, drivers etc, which isn't even that big of a problem. But I'm no coder so I don't really know.

What I don't get is, this whole thing started with you saying batman's shitty PC launch was why you don't PC game, but it wasn't the fault of PC owners it was the fault of Warner Bros. The game under performed on PC's that had the highest specs, as Jim Sterling pointed out on his playthrough of it. But Batman doesn't reflect every game. Can you confidently say, that almost every game on PC is more likely to have problems? What I don't get is why you shrug off problems with console games, sure Bloodborne got fixed, but it never should've launched like that in the first place. Same with Splatoon. For an $80 game, a lack of content is a SERIOUS PROBLEM. You wouldn't be happy if you paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house, then only got 1/3rd of a house. All I'm saying is, don't act like console gaming so so innocent, when the problems are exactly the same. Buggy, broken games get released on consoles too.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Because it is a much better idea to just milk money from people for remakes or remasters. Why go the extra mile and protect gaming legacy when you can milk the poor uninformed console gamers for money...
Sony are not good people (neither are MS or Nintendo). Why work for little or no pay?

The second part is heresy to me and I wont comment on it.

STALKER is somewhat realistic Science Fiction. Kinda the way Strugatsky do it. Cyberpunk 77 is not really a realistic Science Fiction :p.
Witcher is a "realistic" fantasy series. In all the classic tropes and stuff EE authors use.
Remasters do make the game better though. Remakes can be good and are rather rare. I have zero interest in ever playing FF7, although its remake with a possibly good combat system and no random battles would interest me. I've only ever bought one remaster of a game I've already played and that was the Team ICO collection as those are some of the best games ever made. I'm not a fan of remasters as I've said before if I was interested in playing the game, I would've played it when it came out anyways. You can play old console games on a shitty old PC as well.

Some games just aren't worth playing anymore like how Syphon Filter is such a shitty TPS both in gameplay and story compared what's out now. There's literally no reason to have anyone play it outside of showing them what a good TPS was on PS1 and how far the genre has come. Nothing against preserving games or anything, it's just that the medium is definitely unique and different like how you tell someone you HAVE to watch these 10 movies, you can't do that with games as playing 10 games could take someone a whole year.

I really wouldn't call any "fantasy" game realistic. I really don't care about realism, I really only care if the world is interesting.

Ninja-Jordan said:
Well it's funny that you bring up skyrim, because what I remember seeing most on reddit and neogaf when that came out wasn't anything to do with the console version, it was all the amazing PC mods that were being designed for it. And speaking of the clunky stupid interface that Skyrim had, remember when that guy made that awesome PC mod that organized and optimized the menus better? I sure do: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1221976p1.html

I don't think you can confidently say it gets low priority, while having the most issues probably having never talked to any devs or anyone who codes for PC versions of games, (I myself haven't) I say we meet in the middle and say any dev/publisher who creates a game for all platforms gives equal priority to all, while trying to work out all the issues, lest they look like a bunch of shady pricks, much like Warner Bros. It's not like it's an inherent thing that when a game comes out on PC it's going to be rife with problems. And if it does, it happens equally on consoles.

And whether or not people are going to do it or not, the fact remains that you can, so the convenience of consoles is really neither here nor there. And I'm sure it was a real drag to download a few drivers, but most games that come out to steam these days have basic controller support, so that's hardly an argument. And I don't know about you, but I've played PC games from the comfort of my bed a bunch of times. Laptop on lap, mouse at my side, and I don't imagine I couldn't do that from a PC.

And I'm pretty sure people chose consoles over PC because they don't have $1500 to invest in a dedicated gaming PC. While I'll admit that the convenience factor does come in a little, it's really a numbers game. That might be why games sell better on consoles, they're easier to attain than PC because your average gamer doesn't want to have to go through the rigmarole of building a competent gaming PC, and anything out of stores is always going to cost more than a console. So it's not that people WANT consoles more than a PC, it's just that people can afford consoles over PC.

But really, a comfortable, semi-reclining office chair and a footrest and you're good to go.

And I always thought bugs come from improper coding, so console and PC versions would share the same bugs if they shared the same code, which they do for the most part. PC specific problems, I imagine, arise from improper or outdated sound cards, graphics cards, drivers etc, which isn't even that big of a problem. But I'm no coder so I don't really know.

What I don't get is, this whole thing started with you saying batman's shitty PC launch was why you don't PC game, but it wasn't the fault of PC owners it was the fault of Warner Bros. The game under performed on PC's that had the highest specs, as Jim Sterling pointed out on his playthrough of it. But Batman doesn't reflect every game. Can you confidently say, that almost every game on PC is more likely to have problems? What I don't get is why you shrug off problems with console games, sure Bloodborne got fixed, but it never should've launched like that in the first place. Same with Splatoon. For an $80 game, a lack of content is a SERIOUS PROBLEM. You wouldn't be happy if you paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house, then only got 1/3rd of a house. All I'm saying is, don't act like console gaming so so innocent, when the problems are exactly the same. Buggy, broken games get released on consoles too.
The fact that Bethesda didn't alter the interface for PC means they really didn't care (and made the PC community do it for themselves), they prioritized the console versions. There aren't enough Skyrim mods to make the game worth playing for me. I hate Bethesda's writing and the combat isn't very good at all.

The PC version of lots of games gets the lowest priority, the version that will sell the most will get the most priority and the PC version rarely sells the most. It's just that simple. I never said every PC version inherently has more issues but overall you will encounter more issues on gaming on PC. I was able to play Batman just fine whereas I wouldn't on PC. Same goes for Splinter Cell Blacklist and its massive PC issues. Mortal Kombat X had a Steam issue where it couldn't even run.

It's rather inconvenient to have your PC within cords reach of your TV. How many people do you know of where their PC is located next to their TV? PC gaming on your TV can easily be done but it's not convenient. Even gaming with a laptop and a mouse isn't very convenient; the laptop is on your lap (vs nothing on your lap with a console) plus you have to be sitting with table or something flat next to you to use the mouse properly.

A gaming PC doesn't cost that much. You can buy an AMD 6-core desktop for about $400 and spend $100-$150 on a video card and it's a gaming PC. A lot of people are moving away from desktops entirely though and prefer a laptop or even a tablet with a keyboard. People have money to spend as they buy consoles, expensive phones (for whatever reason, makes no sense to me as $100 phone does everything), tablets, etc.

I'm not blaming the PC for anything. It's that there's quite a few major PC-only issues that do occur each year from major releases. Yeah, most PC games don't have serious issues. I buy the console version because I know it's going to work outside of a rare anomaly.

-Bloodborne worked just fine. If the worst thing about a game is the loading is too long, that's much less of an issue vs a game not working or serious framerate issues. And, you can put a SSD in a console just like a PC if you want faster loading.
-Any game can have a lack of content. If Splatoon had a PC version, it would have the same content. How is that a console issue? It varies from gamer to gamer how much content is worth full price as some won't buy a really good 8-hour shooter just because it's 8 hours long. Lots of people won't buy that 8-hour game until a price drop because something like Witcher 3 offers them over 100 hours of content at the same price. You kinda know how long a game is, what is included, and whatnot before buying a game. Splatoon wasn't a bait and switch.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So what, console games are never buggy ever? I would like to point out every Bethesda game ever made, every game ever reviewed by the Angry Video Game Nerd, Brink, Dark Souls on blighttown where the framerate chugs like hell, the horrible load times on Bloodborne, and many other things. PC and console both have drawbacks, let's stop pretending one is superior to the other.

Also call me back when you can play Sunless Sea on Xbox.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
erttheking said:
So what, console games are never buggy ever? I would like to point out every Bethesda game ever made, every game ever reviewed by the Angry Video Game Nerd, Brink, Dark Souls on blighttown where the framerate chugs like hell, the horrible load times on Bloodborne, and many other things. PC and console both have drawbacks, let's stop pretending one is superior to the other.

Also call me back when you can play Sunless Sea on Xbox.
Why do people assume the thread is about consoles being better than PCs? I don't run into any major issues playing games on consoles because they just work (outside of the very rare anomaly). I didn't have thought that Batman would possibly not work when I bought it. Game bugs (that are across all platforms) are different than version specific issues like Batman. I didn't have any issue with Blighttown, the framerate was probably like 5fps less there, it's not like the area was even hard just annoying with the stupid flies and dart guys, take it slow like any area in a Souls game and you probably won't die. If loading times are the worse part of a game, then the game must not be too bad, and you can always put a SSD in like a PC for faster loading. From Software are horrible coders, you kinda know what to expect from them at this point.

I console game because I spend more time gaming in my gaming time.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Playing 10 games can take a year if you are a pathetic gamer. No, the medium is not unique in that aspect. By your logic, simply because Witcher 3 has better characters and story than any other game out there, all those that have their own themes and or attempts to show evolution do not matter?
So War and Peace means that the Illiad is irrelevant? God Damn...

The medium is the same as the others. Not protecting it is vandalism as far as I care.

Here is a video about fantasy and realism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsqAmuxjNk

Cyberpunk is not such a genre btw :p. At least not by default.
If they are 10 RPGs, it could take someone over a year to play given their free time. I wouldn't be able to play 10 Witcher games in a year even if I wanted to. Tell a person to watch 10 movies and they'll probably be able to do that in a month or so at most.

Writing is completely subjective so you can't have one game that has better characters and story than another. That's why books or movies are good forever, a new book/movie isn't going to make another obsolete. Game mechanics become archaic though. There's literally no reason to go back and play Syphon Filter, which couldn't be said of a book or movie. And Witcher 3's writing is good but nothing special.

That video doesn't make much sense because we've had heroic storylines in real life. Just because you make your story on a smaller scale and more intimate level doesn't make it any more realistic. I'm all for more RPGs that aren't about saving the world because that has been done to death. It's about getting variety and role-playing very different characters in very different situations instead of the same situations (even the same races, classes, and worlds over and over again). It's the same reason why people want more varied protagonists other than standard white male with a gravelly voice, which Geralt fits into himself. It's not that heroic storylines or white males with a gravelly voice are bad, but that's pretty much all we get.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Good writing is subjective. Yet some people on these forums dont think so (not talking about you). Some would argue (with logic) that the eldest pieces of literature are overall less complex than many of the more recent pieces.

Nope. As I said, to me that train of thought goes against axioms. Cant even humor you about that part of gaming.

Witcher 3's writing is the best I have seen in a video game. By an extraordinary margin.
It actually makes good on its original source. And that means a lot to me.

Actually it makes perfect sense. In Real Life, it is NEVER just that simple. Being a hero in the "classical" sense simply means that you will accomplish nothing. You cant save the world alone. No matter how hard you try. That is impossible.

But that is not really the point of that clip...
If Geralt is a stereotypical protagonist to you... well... I dont know what to say...
A more complex story isn't inherently better.

At least based on the point I am in Witcher 3 (as I haven't finished it), several games have better writing than it. The Walking Dead, lots of parts of Mass Effect (I say parts because on the whole it's just decent), Prince of Persia SoT, MGS2, Deus Ex (could be nostalgia and being much younger when I did play it), Portal 2, TLOU, and Arkham City off the top of my head. I'm disappointed in the low amount of decision making in Witcher 3, it's not much of an RPG to me (most video game RPGs are not RPGs IMO). I said Geralt fits into the "white male with a gravelly voice" protagonist that we get way too much of and not that those characters are bad but it's kinda all we get.

Alan Turing basically won WWII.