Batman is exactly why I don't PC game

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Of those that you listed none are on the same level. And I played all of them except Prince of Persia SoT and MGS 2.

No individuals won it. Arguably Hitler won it for the allies by making... questionable decisions. What Turing did was great for the war effort. Not the biggest nor the only contribution though.
I very much doubt even 5% if gamers would say Witcher 3 has the best writing in a game. Make a poll, see what happens. I'm guessing Planescape Torment would win even though I haven't played it.

Knowing what you're enemy is going to do before they do it kinda seals the deal on victory.

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
OP, you're really not going to like where the gaming industry is headed as it most certainly is not towards consoles.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Interestingly, the USSR was already winning. And the major strategical stupidities that sealed the war already happened. Sure did save a few (allied) lives though.

People will vote for what they like or what they want to win or what is aligned with their worldview. Most havent played Planescape. They just know it is from the "golden days" and was a "classic" .
The USSR was already winning the war in 1940?

Ditto for you.

3asytarg3t said:
OP, you're really not going to like where the gaming industry is headed as it most certainly is not towards consoles.
It's not going towards PC.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
Turning cracked the code before the war even began and alies just bid their time sending millions of their soldiers to die just to make it intersting

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
You still think real life works like a standard fantasy plot where one man decides the fate of the world?

I suggest rewatching that video.
There's been very few, if any, situations in real life where the fate of the world was in jeopardy so knowing "realistically" how that would/could play out is kinda impossible. One man could've easily decided that fate of the world during the Cuban Missile Crisis. The select few already pretty much decide everything now. Realistic fantasy is an oxymoron.

Outside of the very end of Mass Effect 3, the Mass Effect series presents a rather realistic version of a galaxy fighting against a most powerful force yet the guy in the video includes Mass Effect as being "heroic". Shepard must work with and try to sway the many political institutions of the many different races and Shepard fails quite often in trying to do everything. Just because Geralt's conflict is on a much smaller scale doesn't make it "realistic" by default either. You want me to believe that with Geralt's skills and powers and lifespan, he'd be struggling for money?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Fate is not just in jeopardy. Deciding =/= jeopardy. At least no only.

Realistic fantasy and science fiction is a real term mate...

ME does decently. If it has to be nitpicked, it will be easy. But that is not what I want to do.

Geralt's quests are not always on a smaller scale. And that is not what I am saying :p...

Yes, Geralt IS struggling for money. In the books he is often broke. Completely. Poor as hell.
If it wasnt for Yennefer "modifying" his pay behind his back, he would die of starvation. Witchers simply dont get payed enough. Less there is a war. And then it is even more dangerous to work.
Science fiction makes sense, realistic fantasy really doesn't.

That's what the guy in the video was saying.

Someone with a skillset in very low supply with high demand makes lots of money. It really doesn't make "realistic" sense that Geralt would struggle for money. Plus, with Geralt's mind power thing, he could get money from anyone. Part of the reason Geralt doesn't come off as realistic is because he's overpowered as fuck, he's the fantasy version of Batman with actual powers instead of technology.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
When someone releases a bad game you don't blame it on the system, you blame it on the devs. I switched earlier this year and am enjoying all the "complete" games that were on consoles that modders have given a new life. Now I will wait a year or so to play the complete Arkham Knight on Steam summer sale for like 25 bucks and get the great mods.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Uhm... your standards for Sci Fi must be quite low and very high for fantasy. That is why.
Most of the time both are just impossible. OR at least not believable.
That is not QUITE what the guy was saying :p :p ...

Anyways, this second video may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_Lp5bO1U8

In the game you have a lot of quests and contracts. Partially explained by the fact that there is a war going on (that makes monsters much MUCH more active). Still, gameplay reasons.

In the books he often goes around for months on end without ANY job at all. Months.

His "mind power thing" will end up with him dead. Not everyone can be affected by it. Try that on a mage and he IS dead. Or someone with a strong will or who knows at least a bit about how to "defend" themselves from such a thing.
It also cant be used in groups. At all.

In other words, it may works a few times. But only a few. And in a few days, the people he used it on would remember what happened anyway. And get people to kill him. Or report to authority.
Try it on the wrong person? Wont work. In front of many people? Wont work...

Geralt is fairly low power in the universe. The game lets you do some amazing things, but the truth is that Yennefer for example is simply MUCH more powerful than him. She has REAL mind control, reading minds and blowing up castles powers... Almost all named mages are OP.
Actually most sci-fi I don't really care for. I'm not a fan of Star Trek or Star Wars (not really sci-fi though). Sci-fi already has "fiction" in the term adding realistic to it is just dumb like "realistic" fantasy. You either buy into the world, whether sci-fi or fantasy, or you just don't. I don't feel making a conflict smaller scale necessarily makes it more realistic or believable. The world has to "feel" right and there's lots of intangibles there that make it feel right. You can make a very intimate sci-fi show like Firefly and make it "realistic" but you can also do sci-fi on a big scale and make it feel just as realistic as well. Most fiction (science or fantasy) involves characters that have great powers (that we've never had in the real world) so you can believably have a character that could alter the fate of the world by themselves (like Superman). Saying that is something that's unrealistic is just wrong.

Geralt is one of few people with his skills, which are needed. Even in peace time humans will be expanding to new lands and will encounter monsters and need a person like Geralt. He can charge a lot due to low supply of his skills and the fact an entire village or city will likely want to chip in to get rid of monsters so monsters don't kill them. Geralt's mind thing works on any human as far as I can see. Plus, Geralt does find himself alone with rich people quite often, making them reveal their money stash and then killing them is easy money. Morally Geralt shouldn't have issue since there's always lots of bad people that are rich. Geralt should really only be poor if he just doesn't care about money. It's not believable or realistic for Geralt to be poor unless he so chooses to be.

Geralt is fantasy's Batman, he can prepare to defeat just about everything like Batman. Not to mention he has powers that Batman doesn't have. I'm guessing his magic doesn't work like it does in-game because certain things are just broken like the shield and mind power (in battle).

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Kinokohatake said:
When someone releases a bad game you don't blame it on the system, you blame it on the devs. I switched earlier this year and am enjoying all the "complete" games that were on consoles that modders have given a new life. Now I will wait a year or so to play the complete Arkham Knight on Steam summer sale for like 25 bucks and get the great mods.
I don't blame the platform. The fact is if I buy multiplatform games on a console vs PC, I'll have less issues. The console versions are prioritized and the PC has millions of different hardware/software configurations it most work on. Those 2 facts make it so console games have less issues. Arkham Knight is a game I didn't want to wait on nor do I really care that much for extra content as I have like 4 things to redeem and I haven't even done that. I doubt there will be many mods of Arkham Knight as there's only a few Arkham City mods (that don't do much at all). And, I'll also end up probably only spending $25 or so on the game as well as I'll sell it in a couple months.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
I was not envisioning the Star Trek or Star Wars... more like Strugatsky... you know...
Again, you repeat things I already know.
No, in the real world, one human cant simply change everything. That is not how it works. Superman, in his universe even, often cant do it. Part of the point of his character in recent incarnations...
Realistic fantasy is probably not the correct term. I will have to check. Gets the point across though.

Geralt's skills are NOT that impressive. Everything he can do, a mage can do better. Often soldiers kill the monsters themselves. Hunters and magicians work together to achiever results equal to those a "professional" achieves.

He CANT CHARGE a lot. He is a BEGGAR mostly. If he charges more than a mage or mercenaries... well he is useless.
Geralt's mind thing does not work like that. I already explained Axii to you.
Many rich people are not those that can RESIST it. Why does he never try that shit on Triss or Yen? Or on Vilgefortz? Or on Emhyr?
It WONT work.

That is exactly why Geralt gets the floor wiped with him by Vilgefortz. Twice. All that preparation and GG...
Or why in his first encounter with Yen, all 80 years of combat and experience fly out the window and his mind gets "scanned", all his resistances fly out and he is knocked out and turned into a slave in just a minute...

You are a person that has yet to complete Witcher 3. You are arguing against someone who has read the books and played all 3 games. This is not a topic you have any hope of winning.
If the world is believable, then it is realistic. One human could've changed everything during the Cold War. There are always hypothetical situations that could arise where one person could change everything. Are those situations unlikely, most definitely. Most of these fantasy stories deal with situations that are indeed very unlikely to happen even in those fantasy worlds (like end of the world scenarios). It's not like end of the war scenarios happen on a weekly basis in fantasy worlds, it's either the 1st time something like that has happen or it happened so long ago that no one remembers (or refers to it as fiction).

I said Axii has worked on every normal human Geralt has tried it on.

If mages do what witchers do, then what's the point of witchers?