Batman v Superman Goes Full Grimdark, Approves R-Rated Alternate Cut

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Batman v Superman Goes Full Grimdark, Approves R-Rated Alternate Cut

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's Ultimate Edition is so violent, it's been granted an R-rating.

Remember when <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7521-Man-of-Steel>Man of Steel came out after years of anticipation, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8067-The-Big-Letdown>the major criticism was how dark and violent Superman's universe seemed? Well, that's unlikely to improve with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. A close look at a bulletin from the Classification and Rating Administration reveals this superhero film has an R-rated "Ultimate Edition", presumably for Blu-Ray discs following the theatrical release.

The bulletin lists a newly edited Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition distinct from the PG-13 movie. According to the classification board, this version will be rated R for "sequences of violence". When this rating is applied for violence, it usually describes content which is considered intense and/or persistent. We don't know what the rating entails, but it might refer to anything from fight scenes with vividly broken bones to explicit blood and gore. (Since Batman and Doomsday are in this movie, it could go either way.)

Naturally, R-rated superhero films are a major topic right now, thanks to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166194-R-Rated-Deadpool-Film-Will-Get-A-Directors-Cut#&gid=gallery_5561&pid=1>Deadpool's massively successful theatrical release just two weeks ago. The question is whether Warner Bros approved this Ultimate Cut in response to Deadpool, or already had the Ultimate Edition in the works. Considering how recently the movie launched, it's pretty likely this violent material was completed and removed from the theatrical edition.

[gallery=5828]

This news will probably make Superman fans more than a little nervous, myself included. While I have absolutely no problem with violent superheroes - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comicsandcosplayreviews/12414-Injustice-Gods-Among-Us-Year-Two-Takes-Superman-To-Dark-Places>including Superman himself on occasion - Man of Steel was not a film which represented that violence well, thematically speaking. And if Zack Snyder was filming Batman v Superman with an R-rating in mind, that tone will likely leave traces in even the theatrical release. For better or worse, we'll find out when Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice hits theaters on March 25.

Source: Collider

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yay! A few extra pace-hurting minutes of running time and a bunch of unnecessary and out-of-place CGI blood! I can't wait.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
James Gunn was on the money. Hollywood is going to run this R rated shit into the ground.
Yeah, it's kind of shocking just how accurate he was. The film and game industries look identical to me sometimes. Entertainment executives sure do love their fads.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
This could be good for Batman's sequences, can just imagine that opening action scene with a little more crunch of violence...

But Superman has no need for such gratuitous violence because he IS superman :)

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Fappy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
James Gunn was on the money. Hollywood is going to run this R rated shit into the ground.
Yeah, it's kind of shocking just how accurate he was. The film and game industries look identical to me sometimes. Entertainment executives sure do love their fads.
I'm not shocked by the accuracy, but I'm utterly stunned at how quickly it seems to be happening. R-rated superhero films used to be rarer than unicorns, which was why Kick Ass was so surprising. But now...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't think that announcement says anything good about the quality of the movie. "Hey guys, after seeing the theatrical release you might think this movie sucks... so here's a reason to think about buying the DVD anyway." I mean, it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad either. But I've seen a lot of "wow, that's not a good sign" bits of news floating around BvS, and the trailers haven't been good enough to make me hopeful again.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
the.chad said:
This could be good for Batman's sequences, can just imagine that opening action scene with a little more crunch of violence...

But Superman has no need for such gratuitous violence because he IS superman :)
Was thinking the same thing, grimdark is wholly appropriate for Batsy but not the supes.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Meanwhile, the only other superhero movie we'd actually want to have an R-rating is still not shaping up to have one.

Looking at you, Suicide Squad.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Because when I think of Superman, I think of things that should get a 'hard R' rating. Jesus Christ how much crystal meth are these people smoking.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
And so it begins... As James Gunn already said: the studios think that because of Deadpool all we want are R-rated movies. Without realizing that what makes Deadpool enjoyable is the breaking of the mold.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
Meh DVD ratings are weird the 3rd Hobbit film got an R rating for the extended DVD even though no one could tell why I know in the UK they use the rewind function as the reason as people can re-watch violent bits 'out of context' that's why Starship troopers went from 15 in theatres to 18 on VHS.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Superman=gore, titties and lots of F-bombs! Makes perfect sense to me!

/s

Just because you CAN make something R-rated doesn't mean you SHOULD. There are plenty of ways to explore dark, mature content without steering into 17/18+ territory. The DCAU comes to mind:
Still creeps me the hell out...

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Marter said:
Yay! A few extra pace-hurting minutes of running time and a bunch of unnecessary and out-of-place CGI blood! I can't wait.

Hey, don't diss good digital Ketchup!

I hope this is fantastically awful, 'cos I can hardly wait for the episode of Half In The Bag that covers it. Oh god, I'm thinking about it now...

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
P-89 Scorpion said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Meh DVD ratings are weird the 3rd Hobbit film got an R rating for the extended DVD even though no one could tell why I know in the UK they use the rewind function as the reason as people can re-watch violent bits 'out of context' that's why Starship troopers went from 15 in theatres to 18 on VHS.
... please tell me this is a "nanny-state" joke. They can't be that bloody stupid, can they?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Marter said:
Eh Comic Books versions of these heroes as of late has been technically R Rated already.

I read Superman comics with blood and swear langauge and these are comics AFTER the "Dark Age of Comics".

I'm already used to the idea of a R-rated/Mature/Adult content in these Traditional Superheroes.

And Marvel is guilty of the samething in their comic books.

And lets not forget DC's standalone animated movies as of late.