Batman v Superman Goes Full Grimdark, Approves R-Rated Alternate Cut

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fappy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
James Gunn was on the money. Hollywood is going to run this R rated shit into the ground.
Yeah, it's kind of shocking just how accurate he was. The film and game industries look identical to me sometimes. Entertainment executives sure do love their fads.
What you are going to listen to the guy that directed and screenwrote the first 2 live action Scooby Doo movies?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
And of course I am surrounded by people that will bash on DC because of following Deadpool.

May I remind you that this film was probably finished BEFORE Deadpool was released.

I am pretty certain they had this R-Rated content in Batman v Superman already.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
And of course I am surrounded by people that will bash on DC because of following Deadpool.

May I remind you that this film was probably finished BEFORE Deadpool was released.

NO! You're insane! I bet they quickly got the entire crew/cast/writers/effects department together and filmed it last weekend.

In all seriousness, I don't see why people are getting upset(other than peoples tendency to cry foul at any given opportunity). A few extended fight scenes on the DVD, maybe Wonder Woman using that sword a bit more, sounds good to me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Whoa, what the hell is this "it's R-rated so it has to mean it's grimdark" assumption? Deadpool was not grimdark, most adult comedies and over the top action films are not grimdark. Why this ridiculous attempt at fanning the internet fanboy flames? And grimdark is a real meaningless term now it is used for anything that isn't all smiles and cuddles. I would recommend not jumping to conclusions from a single rating. Or is this about clicks and comments again?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
Whoa, what the hell is this "it's R-rated so it has to mean it's grimdark" assumption? Deadpool was not grimdark, most adult comedies and over the top action films are not grimdark. Why this ridiculous attempt at fanning the internet fanboy flames? And grimdark is a real meaningless term now it is used for anything that isn't all smiles and cuddles. I would recommend not jumping to conclusions from a single rating. Or is this about clicks and comments again?
And even than what is with this backlash against "Grim-Dark" stuff anyway? When did it became an objectivly bad concept and content for a superhero movie?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Mangod said:
... please tell me this is a "nanny-state" joke. They can't be that bloody stupid, can they?
Nope that is a real reason for giving home video releases higher ratings than cinema releases the ability to see sex and violence out of context.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Xsjadoblayde said:
Yeah it's kind of an assumption... but it's one I understand. This is made by the same Snyder and Co. that "grimdarked-up" Man of Steel with a lot of emo stuff not in other versions of the Superman story.

Now whether that's bad or not... I was in my formative years in the 90's. A bit of grimdark isn't always a bad thing. I wouldn't mind such at all in a Batman film. It just really seemed kind of out of place for Supes.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:

Right but I don't think filming was done before Deadpool first announced it would have an R-rating or planned to go to lengths to get one since you receive a rating and not just say what you want it to be. so whether or not they started filming everything and cut what the MPAA would consider it an R-rating or they changed plans to add a bit of optionally R-rated added details they'd fill comfortable with cutting in case Deadpool flopped they only announced this info after Deadpool broke box-office records and not when the home version is being released because now is when the media is still talking about R-rated Comic films. I assume if talk about this gets spread wide enough by the time the BvS:DoJ is playing people will be asking if the film is PG-13 or if the R-rated version is available in theatres.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Ok, I can get Dc wanting to copy marvel since avengers showed there is massive money in a cinematic universe. But come on now, you are trying to copy Fox here this time, a studio that made R valuable again in spite of their every effort and seemingly largely because they didn't care about the property it was attached to. They lucked out with a great mix of creative content and a very driven and dedicated staff pushing it the way fans wanted it done right. Going Grimdrak R in bats v sups just to try to ape yet another popular comic movie occurrence is just terrible,. The last Sups movie was roasted for its tone, this seems poorly thought out and, yet again, like the studio is chasing every thing that got buck in hopes of pulling some for themselves (and will likely not because of the lack of actual love in the project). And this really looks like a desperate "hey look at us" thing here as an attempted cash in. Between copying the dark tone of the Nolan trilogy in sup's last cinema outing, copying Marvel with their pursuit of a cinematic universe, and now copying fox in using the R, I really have just been having more and more doubts about how the whole thing will turn out. You don't copy that many unless you really lack confidence in your actual identity.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
James Gunn was on the money. Hollywood is going to run this R rated shit into the ground.
No Shit. Gotta love the obvious stupidity of Hollywood (or the game industry for that matter).

Would love to see an R-Rated Suicide squad movie because, in reality, that makes sense. An R-rated superman vs batman? Significantly less sense. I don't see either of them saying "fuck" very often. I don't really WANT to see either of them actually fucking (each other or other willing participants). And since neither one kills people (or at least they're not supposed to) I can't imagine the violence being necessary for an R-Rating either... so aside from wanting to bank on the success of Deadpool in a way that Marvel simply can't because Disney, why the hell is this getting an R-Rating (from a narrative / thematic standpoint)?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
They might as well have said "you have no reason to see this in the theater"

PG-13 is now the sign of blandness, very occasionally do you get something great like Guardians of the Galaxy

Most everything else there really is no reason to see it in the theater

I wept for this generation after hearing the Starship Troopers remake will be pg-13

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
rembrandtqeinstein said:
They might as well have said "you have no reason to see this in the theater"

PG-13 is now the sign of blandness, very occasionally do you get something great like Guardians of the Galaxy

Most everything else there really is no reason to see it in the theater

I wept for this generation after hearing the Starship Troopers remake will be pg-13
I think the reason PG-13 is the sign of blandness is that most blockbuster directors are severely restricted in their creative freedom because studios are afraid of altering the formula and also have to sell to as wide an audience as possible. Directors of smaller films are more free to experiment, and are also free to go R if they want since it's easier to recoup on investment. This is silly, since a movie with big stars, blinding special effects, a newsworthy budget, and are not comedies are almost guaranteed not to lose money regardless of what's in the film.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Avengers got an initial R rating because the Coulson death scene was a little bit more graphic (you could see some blood or something from the wound iirc) and this isn't "a superman movie", but a BvS with a Batman inspired by frank miller's version. So it would be nice if people stop getting their panties in a bunch (too late for that though...)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I really can't express in the english language, how few fucks I give about this. This movie is nothing but a fanboy dream fight that will have zero actual repercussions, the fact that they've added more cgi blood to it means jack shit to me.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Ruisu said:
Avengers got an initial R rating because the Coulson death scene was a little bit more graphic (you could see some blood or something from the wound iirc) and this isn't "a superman movie", but a BvS with a Batman inspired by frank miller's version. So it would be nice if people stop getting their panties in a bunch (too late for that though...)
I agree actually. This is clearly based off The dark knight returns which was really dark to begin with. I really like that DC has taken the more serious dark approach to their movies instead of just copying Marvel. The irony here is people would be annoyed with them for copying Marvel if they went light hearted and they complain that it is too dark when they do their own thing. There is no winning for DC people just want to hate because they can.

I also love that people are acting like the movies going to be R because of deadpool as if this movie hasn't been in production since deadpool started production itself (likely even before). There is no way they could have planned this entire film around deadpool when they essentially started and finished production in the same time frames. Not to mention while they are both R they are completely different tones.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fanghawk said:
I'm not shocked by the accuracy, but I'm utterly stunned at how quickly it seems to be happening. R-rated superhero films used to be rarer than unicorns, which was why Kick Ass was so surprising. But now...
You shouldn't be surprised, when Deadpool became the prefacing word to the phrase 'breaks all records for' they were going to latch onto the silly minutia in double quick time.

Batman V Superman is all about the knee jerk reaction, it's a reaction to the success of MCU Avengers, a reaction to the relative poor response to Man of Steel, a reaction to lack of hype surrounding DC movies not starring Batman and now a reaction to Deadpool's R Rated success.

Low budget ultra violence is the future! Source material appropriate writing and tone? Never heard of it mate.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
That was my exact reaction. I was like, "one successful R rated superhero movie and now we will get more because that is what made Deadpool good, the R rating".

OT: Every single time I see shots with Superman I am reminded with how much better it looked when they restored color to it and how much better the movie would be for it.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
DC's thought process is as follows;

Avengers makes all the money; clearly we need a superhero mashup! It doesn't matter if we haven't established anything! More heroes clearly means more money!

Deadpool makes all the money: Let's release an R rated cut of our movie! Clearly people want to see more violent superhero movies, and blood and gore will fit perfectly with The Big Blue Boyscout and the man who refuses to kill anyone!

I'm starting to think this movie was entirely designed by committee.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
DC's thought process is as follows;

Avengers makes all the money; clearly we need a superhero mashup! It doesn't matter if we haven't established anything! More heroes clearly means more money!

Deadpool makes all the money: Let's release an R rated cut of our movie! Clearly people want to see more violent superhero movies, and blood and gore will fit perfectly with The Big Blue Boyscout and the man who refuses to kill anyone!

I'm starting to think this movie was entirely designed by committee.
Well, considering the movie is nothing more than the unkillable internet fanboy debate of "Who can win in a fight, Superman or Batman?" made into a feature length movie, yeah, it was probably designed by committee.