Battlefield 1 Revealed in Launch Trailer

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I am not a fan. I know it's only fiction, but The Great War is a sticking point for me, and the trailer's glorification of "epic" battles makes me really uncomfortable on a moral standpoint. By all means, make your game, but I really don't feel comfortable with any of this.

Are you sure a guy who's board name is "Soviet Heavy" should be throwing shade at a game for "glorifying" a war? Where were you when the World War II genre was getting started?

OT: World War I was as close to a dieselpunk/Warhammer 40k style of war we'll ever get as humanity. New shit was being tried every day and a globalized war changed the scenario of battle so fast basic morality didn't have time to catch up.

In short, while one of the worse times to be alive in human history if you were a man, this seems like it's shaping up to be the coolest, most insane Battlefield game out there.

JohnSmirnov

May 12, 2016
Would also be interesting ot see something like Siege of Trsingtao. I mean, not everyone knows that Chinese were involved in WW1 too.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
JamesStone said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I am not a fan. I know it's only fiction, but The Great War is a sticking point for me, and the trailer's glorification of "epic" battles makes me really uncomfortable on a moral standpoint. By all means, make your game, but I really don't feel comfortable with any of this.

Are you sure a guy who's board name is "Soviet Heavy" should be throwing shade at a game for "glorifying" a war? Where were you when the World War II genre was getting started?
I was in my early teens, an idiot and ignorant of a lot of the mass atrocities committed during that time period? Kind of an odd point for you to start questioning me over my name (which I gathered more from TF2 than World War 2 anyways)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
"So I just played Battlefield 1..."
"Oh, you mean Battlefield 1942."
"No, I mean 1."
"Like, the first one?"
"No, 1."
WELL WHO'S ON FUCKING FIRST. It was bad enough with Wolfenstein, Doom, Shadow Warrior and all the other bloody titles that were just rebooted, now we're just taking the piss like a watersports fetishist.

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
JamesStone said:
Soviet Heavy said:

I was in my early teens, an idiot and ignorant of a lot of the mass atrocities committed during that time period? Kind of an odd point for you to start questioning me over my name (which I gathered more from TF2 than World War 2 anyways)
I just found it weird, especially since this kind of thing happened with all other wars yet somehow this is bad when The Great War is involved? It's weird to critizice a company for "glorifying" World War I because what happened there is an atrocity, considering much of our movie action industry until the modern era of the superhero genre is based around actionizing the shit out of history. And not just movies. Would a romatiziced history novel make you unconfortable as well? Does any of the Medal of Honor/Call of Duty about World War II make you unconfortable?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
JamesStone said:
I just found it weird, especially since this kind of thing happened with all other wars yet somehow this is bad when The Great War is involved? It's weird to critizice a company for "glorifying" World War I because what happened there is an atrocity, considering much of our movie action industry until the modern era of the superhero genre is based around actionizing the shit out of history. And not just movies. Would a romatiziced history novel make you unconfortable as well? Does any of the Medal of Honor/Call of Duty about World War II make you unconfortable?
Frankly, yes it kind of does bother me. a lot of it comes down to presentation. I don't like jingoism present in a lot of World War 2 games, and I feel like the tone of this WW1 trailer was all kinds of wrong. Which is not to say that it should not have the right to present itself any way it wants to, that's not the problem. The problem is solely with myself and my personal feelings on the conflict. I'm not telling them to draw the line and say "this is unacceptable", it's just where I draw the line for myself.

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
JamesStone said:
Frankly, yes it kind of does bother me. a lot of it comes down to presentation. I don't like jingoism present in a lot of World War 2 games, and I feel like the tone of this WW1 trailer was all kinds of wrong. Which is not to say that it should not have the right to present itself any way it wants to, that's not the problem. The problem is solely with myself and my personal feelings on the conflict. I'm not telling them to draw the line and say "this is unacceptable", it's just where I draw the line for myself.
A'ight, ain't got a problem with that. I take issue with hypocrisy, but it seems your views are pretty consistent so you won't hear shit from me.