Battlefield 3 on Xbox Looks Awful Without HD Texture Pack

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
snipped

For fuck's sake people, it's a 1.5GB installation... -_-
XD admit it, it was 'ye olde royal voice' that got yer attention. buy yeah :/ its stupid a argument, but I'm done with it, if he wants to keep rambling he can, but I'm a go stab something, or beat something to death with a pillar, or something .. else -.-

edit: yay ... quote fail -.-

arealperson

Oct 1, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
arealperson said:
For one, you're measuring the tertiary platform of one game versus the primary platform of the other. And CoD doesn't need an HD texture pack, because it's on a 10ish year old engine. BF3 is the first game to use Frostbite 2.0. It might need more space, to you know, stretch it's legs. Space a DVD clearly wasn't going to provide.

Saying you can't include the HD texture pack in the comparison is like saying to compare BF3 and CoD but saying you can't count the CoD multi-player in the argument.
Sorry, but unless I can be provided with a technical analysis that proves the Xbox 360 cannot run appreciable assets from the disc, I can't accept this assertion. We don't have a game quite as demanding as this yet to compare with, so perhaps it would be unfair to dismiss it with an answer affirming that other PC developers were capable of providing ports with better standards than this. That said, it appears to me the problem would be solved if they had chosen to provide a third disc (two for the campaign, one for multiplayer) as the best explanation seems to be that one disc could not provide the capacity necessary for par visuals. And truly, the non-"HD" visuals are in such a sorry state I would have to say they just didn't create a separate set of art to fit the size budget they gave themselves (they appear compressed and artifacted rather than simply lower-res). Given the pedigree and likely sales, frankly, that's inexcusable.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
I didn't know they ported Battlefield 3 to the PS2!

Good to see that they're still supporting the platform.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
right so not only is the singleplayer rubbish it looks like rubbish to thay should have just skipped the single player and left the multiplayer because the single player is not worth the space it takes up

But the elitests will take this as some small victory I guess but I still cant work out why it looks that bad surely they could of tried a little harder

-2 respect to dice

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Tin Man said:
Sorry, not having a go, but would you mind elaborating on who 'EVERYBODY' is? I've seen a serious amount of top tier games released this year, and we're currently in the middle of one of the biggest and most varied floods of AAA games I've seen in years. Who's struggling?
Maybe I exaggerated just a tad, but think of the possibilities if we had more powerful hardware across the board! At the moment the PC is the vanguard, but as the markets are bigger for consoles most companies aren't willing to tap that potential. We're already pushing the limits of graphical improvements so the extra hardware would give us room to expand into more interesting, capable and powerful engines without sacrificing graphical quality. Every game could run an engine as capable, if not more capable than Frostbite 2.

Kitsuna10060 said:
i take issue with how lazy they're being, all that time, and that's all the better it looks? really? its pathetic, it should look better then that regardless of the platform, period.
Kitsuna10060 said:
its not about 'keeping up', your making the mistake in think 'just cause its older and thus under powered it has to look like shit with out this texture pack' which is laughably wrong and ignorant. I've seen Nintendo field some jaw dropping graphics on their underpowered systems, i see ZERO legitimate reason they could not mange to make the game just look good.
Dude, this IS a hardware issue. You simply cannot fit the entire game onto one DVD. The HD pack adds in texture which are not necessary to play the game. The engine and essential content are all on the main disc with the HD textures on a second disk. This is because the textures take up massive amounts of memory. Your argument about Nintendo is completely irrelevant to the current situation.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I bet Microsoft are smarting that HD-DVD didn't take off all over again now huh?

What with their consoles primary game medium now hitting the limits of its capacity. I'll bet you they were planning originally to have that addon HD-DVD drive become mandatory for old 360's and the Slim to come with an HD-DVD drive as its standard drive. That way they could have released games on a larger capacity disc and not had this issue.

Why the hell didn't they just bite the bullet and release the slim with a Blu-Ray drive? It would have required more investment for them to get it up and running, and made any games that had to use the larger capacity format incompatible with the old 360 (Unless they did a download version anyway) - I recognise both those points. But they would not have had to confront media capacity limits as its quite clear they are now facing.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
snipped
Dude, this IS a hardware issue. You simply cannot fit the entire game onto one DVD. The HD pack adds in texture which are not necessary to play the game. The engine and essential content are all on the main disc with the HD textures on a second disk. This is because the textures take up massive amounts of memory. Your argument about Nintendo is completely irrelevant to the current situation.
that's nice, don't care, after that last post i had this kinda revelation, i just wasted 5ish posts, on graphics, for a game i generally look down on, and for a system i dislike -.- and for the life of me i can not figure out WHY -.-

so yeah, if a mod wants to go in and delete ALL my posts after the first, go for it, biggest waste of my time on this site :/

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
It seemed fine in the Beta......Weird.

Ahh well i'll cope ^^ as long as it plays fine i aint arsed...

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
w....wow... i mean.... really? i can understand low resolution, you know, as a setting - to have low resolution.... but that looks like crap we had back in 2000..... i mean with that texture pack it looks good, but that? frankly i would be ashamed to release it in this state. i would just call it a bug and call the texture pack a patch

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
At first I was like... uh huh, okay whatever... then I read the last line of the story and I was like :0 ... you mad Escapist writer broette?

I think they might want to get themselves more disks for their game if texture are proving to be an issue. Them again maybe these textures are just cherry picked.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Well with Blu-ray Sony did take a risk it did cause them to be late on the market. And yet they had to win the Blu-ray versus HD-DVD. Yet Sony

Yes even the new DVD formatting that Xbox 360 uses, the one that removes some of the DRM padding. That one still doesn't really offers that much space. It is sad!

It really seems time that we do get new console. Yet maybe just maybe they should have made HDD's standard.

Jun 11, 2008
As much as I would love a new gen hardware wise because of reasons like this I would rather to stick to the current gen and wait for dev costs to come down and see more last gen crazy ventures.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Sectan said:
I don't understand why they even have these two different texture packs. Why not have it default for the game?
I'm guessing it is because of disc space constraints.

DVDs are very outdated now.
On the 360 Battlefield 3 is already on two disks without the texture pack, which is about 1.5 gigs to download. Despite what others say, the 360 has definitely started to reach its limits. While the PS3 could still go on for a couple more years, the 360 cannot. Microsoft needs to come up with a new console or it will start getting its ass handed to it. The kinect is a decent idea but it just doesn't have the power to accomplish what it needs to in order to be successful.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
Baneat said:
Sensationalism on the news titles is really, really getting out of hand.
Indeed. The real story should be about how the single player campaign was COMPLETELY half-assed and terrible. What a waste. The characters were completely undeveloped and the constant flashbacks to all over the place was just confusing and served to make the story rather incoherent. One could still follow the plot, but all the events seemed disconnected and random. It introduced characters who were completely irrelevant in order to kill them (gee I wonder where I've seen that before?) But it didn't provide any memorable death sequences like CoD did. And don't even get me started on the quick time events, they were some of the most arbitrary and annoying QTEs I've ever experienced and they seemed to serve no real purpose whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is completely awesome, it just seems like the single player campaign was just tagged on as an afterthought. It came off as a corporate decision made by some accountant in an office that doesn't know much about video games:

"Sir, this game is going to blow CoD out of the water, we have tanks, jets, helicopters and about ten times more depth!"

"Yeah, but does the single player campaign have big explosions and cinematic events? That's what people buy video games for!"

"Um..."

"Yeah, it needs a campaign like Modern Warfare, BUT WITH MORE QUICK TIME EVENTS!!!!!!!!!"

"*Sigh* Yes sir, I'll get right on it."

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Um i'm sorry but why is everyone flipping their shit over this again? It looks perfectly fine without the texture pack!

Absolutely no one is gonna notice that some textures are a bit grainy and say "fuck it i'm out" turn off the 360 and write a hate filled letter to DICE. They're just gonna shrug and move on. But for some perculiar reason you really are fucked off about it then hey have a free texture pack!

It's not like it's suddenly regressed back to PS1 graphics anyway, i'd say early 360 graphics at the least.

/rant