Battlefield 3 on Xbox Looks Awful Without HD Texture Pack

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Irridium said:
So I'm fucked if I get it on the 360, then.

Got the old 12gb hard drive.

And no, I will not buy a bigger one, because it will be a cold day in hell when I pay $100 for a 120gb 360 hard drive when I can buy a 1tb hard drive for my PC for $60.

Microsoft can shove their over-priced hard drive where the sun don't shine.
You can actually just buy a cheap 1TB drive off the net and plug it in.
It's just a normal HDD.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Mmm having looked more into it I would agree that .. erm you know this looks like a PS2 games.

I might not like having to always install things on the PS3. Can get very naggy! But.. you know at least you get the game at its full ability.

It is a wonder that they have been able to even make PS2 level image quality these days. Maybe they should make an ANIME pack so that instead of fugly PS2 you get sharp lined Anime look. You always can go that route!

Also for those who belief it shouldn't matter. Well not every xbox 360 owner has a HDD. Oh sure the serious gamer has one but Microsoft does prices their HDD's rather expensive so I understand if someone doesn't.

Yes there is the 4G... but many people still own the older model that DOES needs a memory card or an USB stick or yes a HDD.

AssassinFisH

Jun 12, 2011
I must be going blind as I can't notice much difference. I started by playing with standard textures. After getting to level 15, I went out and bought an official xbox HD (much to my annoyance, thank you EA!). After installing it, the only real difference I notice is the smoke!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Valagetti said:
Yeah another point for the PC master race! We have to celebrate our wins whenever we can, because they're so rare now!

Wow, now I realise I'm not sure if my machine can play this game on max setting?
Celebrating someone else getting screwed? Huh.

Dahaka27

Apr 20, 2009
Glad I decided on the PC version then since I wasnt sure that my gtx 460 could run it that well, then I remembered I have a beast of an overclock on it so I wont have much of a problem aside from the obvious bugs to be encountered on day 1.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
MajorDolphin said:
God, I hate Microsoft. In an attempt to crush Sony they sell ridiculously cheap systems with tiny harddrives and only bothered to have dvd drives in the 360. As such, games ship on multiple discs (RAGE came on 3?), require insanely huge installs for a decent gaming experience, and impact the overall game with their policy to shut out any game that isn't "equal" to other consoles. Uhg, disgusted and off topic. :)
Actually in the begin of the xbox 360 it didn't have a HDD. Very odd since the original Xbox did have a HDD!

Instead you had to use memory cards. But not normal ones oh no special ones you had to buy. And no the old Xbox memory cards didn't work on your new Xbox 360.

Yes they did offer you HDD's.. in their expensive package. And that was only a 20Gbyte one of what 7Gbyte was lost due to well formatting and of course installed files. Hence why people call it the 13 or 12Gbyte.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
I have an old hard drive with only 5.4GB left so how much space would this need?
The whole thing takes up about 1.5gb, so it's not that much. The writer of the article should of pointed that out to avoid a lot of confusion.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
The whole 'Design on PC, make it work on consoles' is really only a good idea when you can optimise worth a shit.
masticina said:
Seems 2007 called, or more 2006. Eh!

Very odd just very odd really! Why such well weak graphics standard. Lets just hope the HD pack is on the disc.
Half Life 2 had better textures than that. It's not even textures on some places, that tire on the Low Definition one has probably 1/3 of the polygon count as the High Definition one.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
The point that the article tries to make is stupid. If PC is being the lead platform is the problem for this, then how come PS3 doesn't effect with this problem. It's all about limitations in hard disc space in 360 and don't forget about Blue-Ray issue. Do your research next time before writing articles.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
im sorry, reading through a couple of posts...people, please atleast read the original post.

xbox actually still wins out over pc on this one, the xbox HD texture pack is 1.5GB to install the content, and how many gigs is it to install the game on the pc? i can guarantee that you cant play off the disc, and it takes longer to install than the few seconds it took me to put the textures on my HD.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
have to say i'm surprised on how bad the game looks without it. it seems unless you install the HD pack it will be unplayable.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
masticina said:
Seems 2007 called, or more 2006. Eh!

Very odd just very odd really! Why such well weak graphics standard. Lets just hope the HD pack is on the disc.
It might just have something to do with the fact the hardware is six years old now. This generation has well outlived its cycle and really needs to progress. Graphic cards turn "old" after just six to twelve months, so the fact they can squeeze anything that looks even remotely good out of six year old hardware is close to phenomenal - and even if you discount the outdated hardware being a major issue for console development, the xbox just doesn't have the disc space required for all these high production value releases. Apparently Battlefield 3 shipped with 2 discs and we're seeing more and more of this lately. Just look at RAGE with its 3 discs for xbox. PS3 doesn't really have this problem, since it takes blu-ray. But people have said that in around 20 years physical media will become much less prevalent. I think in the next generation of hardware, or at least the one after we'll see home consoles that no longer have to worry about HDD limitations and won't have to mess about downloading texture packs just to play what really should come as standard.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
sravankb said:
BTW, do you guys even know how large the texture pack is?

1.5 GB.

Anyway you look at it - that is really not much. Even a 4GB Xbox will be able to run it.

Good job at making it a sensationalist article by holding back details, dude.
What is the size of the base install on the 360? Ps3's install was 2gig or so, we probably got the texture pack whether we wanted it or not. I wish they had just used the BC 2 engine.

Dreamerdude26

Mar 2, 2008
And this is why I won't be getting the game. Not because I wouldn't love to have it, but because I don't have enough room on my old school grandpa drive to install the game and those high res textures.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Really, I dunno. Without textures it's not as good, but it feels like a big deal over nothing. I think we've been spoiled with graphics.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
yookiwooki said:
Yeah, my roommate and I bought battlefield 3 today, but we never got a hard drive for our xbox. Hes been looking forward to this game for months and was so psyched to play it, but halfway through the non-HD first level, it was so bad he had to turn it off. Seriously, on a big screen tv it looks like PS2 graphics. I thought he was gonna cry haha.

Now we gotta wait for our new hard drive to be delivered; we weren't expecting to drop 120 dollars to play this game.
How have you been playing games with your 360 making sounds like an automobile engine?

No seriously, how have you been dealing with ridiculous load times?!

OT: Look like your SOL buddy, get an internet connection maybe? Stop blaming EA/DICE for not being able to fit their game on outdated storage mediums. PS3 doesn't have that issue, pc doesn't have that issue.

Wasn't everyone complaining about RAGE the other day because you had to switch disks and install 20 gb of data?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Valagetti said:
Yeah another point for the PC master race! We have to celebrate our wins whenever we can, because they're so rare now!

Wow, now I realise I'm not sure if my machine can play this game on max setting?
Celebrating someone else getting screwed? Huh.
It was obviously a joke. See the self-deprecatory bit where he says the master race's wins are 'so rare now', and the bit where he realizes his PC won't be able to run it.