Battlefield 3 Will "Probably" Use Online Pass

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Online passes, more useless then a dogs shit thats been vomited on by a homeless man who ate it as substiance which then killed the man from a heartattack at the realization of NO WORTH!

Since I'm not buying it, also, gamers SHOULD hate it, because their being treated like pirates.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Aren't most of the servers paid for through third party users and clans? How is that costing them any money? I'd rather be able to host my own games like the old days anyway. If I want to play with friends, its a gigantic pain or I have to drop like 60 bucks a month for a server. Its absurd.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Interesting. I would think that a game like this would have a more rare pre owned market. The game should have nearly infinite replay, I mean, I still play BF2 sometimes. But, whatever.

And as for the comments about buying new to support the developer, stop the shenanigans. The market is all about getting goods to as many people as is possible at a reasonable price. You hurt a wonderful capitalist market by harping on people for not buying new. Blah blah blah, support the developer. How about developers support their customers by making games that are worth having a little bit down the road. No, instead they try to make shovel ware for $60 and then ***** and whine when there are used copies all over the place. People certainly do like to put their heads in their asses. =p

Clive Howlitzer said:
Aren't most of the servers paid for through third party users and clans? How is that costing them any money? I'd rather be able to host my own games like the old days anyway. If I want to play with friends, its a gigantic pain or I have to drop like 60 bucks a month for a server. Its absurd.
Good point, while there are official servers, anyone can pay for and host a server of their own. Many online groups do it, as well companies like EVGA.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Arehexes said:
Lets get back to the basic idea of your post then. Because you have to pay, everyone should have to pay. That's the logic of a two year old. "I'm getting punished, so everyone should too! Regardless of what they did!" (This is a very eloquent and well-spoken two year old.)

And you certainly act like someone who hasn't played a PC game before and doesn't know what this thing called a 'CD key' is.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Arehexes said:
Lets get back to the basic idea of your post then. Because you have to pay, everyone should have to pay. That's the logic of a two year old. "I'm getting punished, so everyone should too! Regardless of what they did!" (This is a very eloquent and well-spoken two year old.)

And you certainly act like someone who hasn't played a PC game before and doesn't know what this thing called a 'CD key' is.
I know what a CD key is, but it doesn't limit me from playing parts of my game. Just the whole thing, which is fine because when I transfer my game and key to someone THEY CAN USE IT TOO. If I did that with a online pass nope EA you have to buy a slot, and now they have slots for two players but out of those two players only one has the disc to play said game...So yeah, also I love how your just ignored my two points, to embarrassed to admit you were wrong are ya?

If I gave my friend my copy of Neverwinter Nights 2, with the CD keys and everything he can still play it. If I gave him Bad Company 2 on the Xbox he would be missing out on features, hell if I let him have mass effect 2 he would be missing out on on disc content because THE ONLINE PASS CODE WILL BLOCK IT.

Again if your so gung ho on having people support the servers if they buy it used, but not dropped online pass and EVERYONE pay a monthly. That way everyone who wants to play can support the servers and the devs get all that money they most not be getting.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Cleril said:
Arehexes said:
Well this sucks, since I'm refusing the buy any game that uses online passes (I hope people follow me in this because if we let this go on we won't own the games we buy). So while I love battlefield I'm not buying this, I refuse to support online pass's period.
But they're not saying you don't own the game, they're saying you don't have the right to use their servers. I find that to be pretty damn reasonable. If you buy used, they don't get any money. Why should they let you, who has given then nothing, be allowed to cost them additional money with the bandwidth you take up?
It's not costing additional bandwidth if you sell a game. Lets go through this step by step

I buy a copy of Battlefield 3 on a system, that's one slot using up band width.

I sell or give away my copy, the person is now playing online instead of me. No one was added, just moved to another location.

How is it taking up bandwidth if the player slot was moved to someone else. A new one was not made. I would agree with you, if we are talking about pirating the game where one person makes multiple copies of the one he bought, not just shifting it around to person to person.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
You all know there's a way to get companies to stop doing the "Online Pass," Right?

Don't buy the pass.

For a game like BF3 (which is ostensibly 90% multiplayer), this is a great big f- you by EA.

You know, EA, I was considering buying BF3. Now? No. Just no. I will not continue to support these sorts of party tricks from you.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I love this bit "but we still need to create server space and everything for you" i'm sorry but if someone sold the game then that user is simply being replaced by someone else. I understand why MMO's charge for a monthly service considering the whole game is online but when it comes to something like this it's a abit greedy considering games now a days already cost £40-60 odd and then were paying for games where single player usually suffers for the sake of multiplayer as it is.

And as for maintaining servers, the only thing a properly setup server needs in terms of maintaining is someone checking up every now and then to make sure it's all running correctly (since things such as system defrags can be scripted to run at certain times, heck you could even set it up to close off the server by it's self (along with putting out a time untill it goes offline every 10-20mins), do what ever needs doing and then return to being online with minimul user input), oh and electricity, yeah servers still need that...

Things like this make me steer clear of EA..the only reason i buy games off them is because Bioware is with them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
PC Gamer here, so umm, whatever. Fuck it, if this system is so bad EA will go out of business and Battlefield 3 will flop. It won't though.

I imagine it will sell a lot of units because hey if you buy it new this doesn't matter and if you buy it used it is only a one time $10 fee. It will probably impact the money you get for trade ins. Do you only buy games if you can sell them later? This seems a bit weird to me, but then I'm a PC gamer and have never sold or traded in any of the games I have bought because you just can't.

This seems a better deal than monthly fees to me. Again I'm exclusively a PC gamer so I have no choice but to buy games new, and I can never sell them. I guess it is because console gamers already pay to play online that makes them feel so entitled?

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Krantos said:
You all know there's a way to get companies to stop doing the "Online Pass," Right?

Don't buy the pass.

For a game like BF3 (which is ostensibly 90% multiplayer), this is a great big f- you by EA.

You know, EA, I was considering buying BF3. Now? No. Just no. I will not continue to support these sorts of party tricks from you.
It sounds like you would buy it used, how are you supporting DICE by buying a second hand copy?

Also fucking hilarious how all console people are going batshit insane over this. It's been like this for almost always on PC. The main complaint on PC is that BF3 wont be on Steam where second hand is impossible (same on Origin).

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
octafish said:
PC Gamer here, so umm, whatever. Fuck it, if this system is so bad EA will go out of business and Battlefield 3 will flop. It won't though.

I imagine it will sell a lot of units because hey if you buy it new this doesn't matter and if you buy it used it is only a one time $10 fee. It will probably impact the money you get for trade ins. Do you only buy games if you can sell them later? This seems a bit weird to me, but then I'm a PC gamer and have never sold or traded in any of the games I have bought because you just can't.

This seems a better deal than monthly fees to me. Again I'm exclusively a PC gamer so I have no choice but to buy games new, and I can never sell them. I guess it is because console gamers already pay to play online that makes them feel so entitled?
I used to be a console gamer and i used to trade in all my games, simple reason really whats the point in a game i no longer play sitting there collecting dust when i can sell it and get a new one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kalezian said:
Worgen said:
its annoying but doesnt really affect me since Im getting it on the pc so there is no pass system like that since there is almost no preowned pc market
this^.

A majority of the people looking forward to Battlefield 3 are PC gamers, and as far as I know, no game store would ever buy back PC copies of games.

They will let you exchange it under certain circumstances for an exact copy of the game, but wont ever buy it from you.

That being said, Im fairly sure that this will only affect console players, and even then only a small number of players will be affected.

I mean, the people waiting for Battlefield 3 will more than likely buy it new, regardless of any online pass.
publishers tend to do much more insidious things to pc gamers

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
octafish said:

LOVE your last word there, entitled. Thats why I don't use my Xbox for online experiences, because I don't want to pay to USE a service that costs the company less then what I'm buying. Sony knows this so they don't cost people money for the online, but Microsoft is a greedy corporation that sees customers as retards, who only know that if their paying for it, then its WORTH it, which is completely absurd. And I doubt many PC gamers will get this game, because they already said they will have no mod support, meaning limited value from the community, and the game itself. Its like EA loves to stop making money, first it was Origin, which will crash and burn because EA thinks all of their customers are pirates [again, look at NO MOD COMMUNITY.] love for you to be in-convinced by having to use THEIR backwards-ass online support, along with their hate for followers of a series or anything else. Basically, in a nutshell, EA is full of retards that hate everyone for using their money to buy their product.