Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
Well, I Was looking forward to this game. News like this causes that anticipation to wane a fair bit. Does anyone know if Origin will run similar to Steam, with offline options for the single player campaign?

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
I know I said it already, but I'll drop it here again:

If your rig can run Battlefield 3, then your rig can handle Origin, STEAM, Skype, MSN, Ventrillo, multiple instances of Chrome/IE/Firefox, Spotify and any other program you happen to have running at the same time (a glance at my task bar shows GIMP and OpenOffice, along with all the above). I get sick and tired of the "resource" argument these days. We live in the 64bit multi-core world. Not the 32bit, 1 core WinXP/Vista past.

Ugh.

I really don't see the issue. At. All.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Tesral said:
Darn it... I really want Battlefield 3, but i don't want to help support Origin, i'm firmly against the idea of EA taking their games off Steam to force us to use their service instead.
Caught in a bit of a pickle here.
You do understand that Valve force you to use steam right? Even other devs will force you to use it. In this equation EA is at worst on par with Valve's villainy.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010

See, EA? We all saw through your little act about Steam. If you want people to actually use Origin, you should probably start with having them not hate you for it.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
Called this months ago. Valve did it with Half-life 2. EA's been trying to get in with their own Download service for years, and finally has a game that people are looking forward to on the PC.

I'll download Origin, but fuck if I'm going to buy anything from it.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
See, and THERE it is. It has nothing to do with updates or DLC or any other crap EA said. It's about trying to compete with Steam.

Now the only question is, what does Origin's client offer while you play? Steam gives me a nice browser I can use from inside the game so if I get stuck or want to research something, I don't have to hope alt+tab won't cause the game to stop responding like it does in some games (hi Fallout 3). I can just press shift+tab and be just fine. It also has other features too, basically it's like going to the in-game guide for 360 or the in-game XMB for PS3. But Origin, do you plan on being useful or do you just want to hang out?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't care really. The thing is, if I'm signed into Origin, does this mean that I don't need to enter a username and password ingame? Steam runs in the background. I'll just close it when I'm not playing. Also, to put this in perspective, there are literally two games from EA I give a shit about, one is BF3, and the other is TOR. So, if I have to turn on Origin to play the two EA games I give a shit about, it's not that big of a deal. And so far, these are the only two who require this.

I don't like EA, and if they were to all of the suddenly lose so much popularity they died, I wouldn't mind. Then perhaps a company who aren't douchebags would buy up the properties. I mean, after these two, the rest can burn. I regret not being able to finish the ME series, but I am drawing a line. Haha, the best bit, only EA has a problem with Steam, so all future games I will simply purchase on Steam. It's so popular, there are a bunch of games coming out that use Steamworks, the number of titles using it have sky rocketed in the last two years or so. Meaning I can start shopping around for cool pre-orders again.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
manythings said:
And many, MANY games require Steam. Everything bad people are going to say about this Valve has already done a long time ago.
Pretty much this. I was forced to use Steam by Dawn of War2 and later on Civ5. Why suddenly other publishers aren't allowed the same with games they do publish anyway?

So far, however, Steam at least has the redeeming value of promoting indie games and i'm yet to see something "extra" about Origin to really be excited about it.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
My task bar is getting fuller...

Oh well, they've probably learnt from Microsoft's mistakes (although even a complete moron could avoid those mistakes) so it won't be too bad. So far, I have no reason to think it will be bad. It's just pointless.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
manythings said:
Tesral said:
Darn it... I really want Battlefield 3, but i don't want to help support Origin, i'm firmly against the idea of EA taking their games off Steam to force us to use their service instead.
You do understand that Valve force you to use steam right? Even other devs will force you to use it. In this equation EA is at worst on par with Valve's villainy.
/ValveFanRant

While this may be true, I like Valves attitude to the gaming community, the constant bargain offers Steam provides, the steam UI in general and the fact that my friends use it. After EAs approach to pricing and DLC, which pales optional TF2 hats by comparison, I really don't like them all that much, and supporting/popularising their content delivery service is inviting them to overcharge me all they want.

Call it nothing more than bias against EA, i'm not here to start a flame war. I just plain don't like them.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Not surprising in the least. And I really don't see what the big deal is, if you can run BF3 you can handle Origin. Yes it's annoying, but at least wait and see what will come of it before cancelling your pre-orders!
But, I'd like to give this humble message to EA: Damn morons!
Thank you.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If they did a smooth transition, made everything available on Steam whilst simultaneously introducing Origin, then I wouldn't have problem.

My problem now is that I need the fucking thing and I DON'T trust EA's servers to do the job properly. They're in such a hurry that they're just going to screw themselves over.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
You people claiming it is now a console purchase realize that is exactly what publishers want right? They keep you on that trend and things will get a whole lot worse....

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
for those who keep saying that's it's the same as steam:
it's not, i like valve and i like what they do with steam, buying now games there is stupid but steam sales are awesome and steamworks is great.
when i installed steam it was something new, origin is just another one and their catalog of games is very limited compared to steam.
Also EA sucks and they have ruined so many franchises over the years.
This means i will most likely sit out this years shooter showdown, i don't want origin, i don't want micro-battlefield and i will not buy a cod game until we get laz0r-guns spaceships.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
EverythingIncredible said:
Called it. So called it.

At least TOR doesn't require that you connect to it.

Thanks for kneecapping BF3 EA!
Think again. Currently TOR is only digital through Origin as far as I know. And, most likely since the game is always online, they're going to incorporate Origin into the patching system somehow so that it's going to be a requirement.

Just wait, it's going to be one giant "use or system or get the fuck out" thing for any EA game in the future.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Tesral said:
manythings said:
Tesral said:
/ValveFanRant

While this may be true, I like Valves attitude to the gaming community, the constant bargain offers Steam provides, the steam UI in general and the fact that my friends use it. After EAs approach to pricing and DLC, which pales optional TF2 hats by comparison, I really don't like them all that much, and supporting/popularising their content delivery service is inviting them to overcharge me all they want.

Call it nothing more than bias against EA, i'm not here to start a flame war. I just plain don't like them.
Well at least dislike them for factual reasons rather than a hatred for their logo. They'll have to price the games on their own store reasonably since over pricing people in you shiny new store will eliminate initial sells let alone the repeat business, and word of mouth, that is needed to run such a service.

Deathfish15 said:
EverythingIncredible said:
Called it. So called it.

At least TOR doesn't require that you connect to it.

Thanks for kneecapping BF3 EA!
Think again. Currently TOR is only digital through Origin as far as I know. And, most likely since the game is always online, they're going to incorporate Origin into the patching system somehow so that it's going to be a requirement.

Just wait, it's going to be one giant "use or system or get the fuck out" thing for any EA game in the future.
Like steam?