Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
TheGoldenMan said:
Scizophrenic Llama said:
TheGoldenMan said:
"Steam doesn't update EA games like we want them to so... No Battlefield. We promise! It's about updates!"

Days later. Battlefield requires Origin.
Fuck it. I'm playing it on my Xbox.
You'd sacrifice 40 player slots just because you don't want to download a program? I can understand not liking it, but I'm willing to suck it up. 24 player limit versus a 64 on a Battlefield game just doesn't sound like it will work at all to me, unless they'll be cutting down the levels severely for console versions.
Sue me.
Why would I do that? I simply asked if you were really willing to put up with a game that will be playing at around 37% of the potential that it can run on the PC, because of a program it will be offered on.

No reason to get hostile, I thought it was a rather valid question.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
My only issue with Origin at this point is how EA decided to market it. It appears as if their plan was to start a shit storm with Valve, blaming them for things that were untrue. EA's marketing department needs to get their heads checked, because they have a history of being fucking stupid.

I'm not so petty as to refuse purchase of the game because of their use of Origin, it just means that I probably wont be getting anything beyond BF3 from Origin. I do have principles.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
FallenPrism said:
Well, I Was looking forward to this game. News like this causes that anticipation to wane a fair bit. Does anyone know if Origin will run similar to Steam, with offline options for the single player campaign?
Edited because I've just realised I'm thinking of a different game entirely. Ignore me, move along, nothing to see here but an idiot who posts without thinking.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Depressing. I'd hoped to not have to make another account with yet another publisher just to jump through their tedious hoops and passwords like a trained monkey. GFWL was bad enough without EA jumping on the band wagon, but providing it doesn't have to be active to use the game then it's just a minor annoyance.

Game looks too good too good to miss out on, though :/

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Saelune said:
I assume this only applies to the PC?
I assume so. Luckily, my laptop is not gaming worthy, and I prefer playing on console (I.E. Is in lounge, so it makes me feel more social when others are there back-seat gaming), so I have no problem with whatever EA do with their games and Origin.

EvilScoop

Oct 19, 2008
I have no problem with any sort of Digital Distribution Client. I love Steam, I definitely like it more than having to go out and get hard copies of things (Unless there's a game I really want and I want to relish in the opening of the box and the midnight release and on and on).

But here's the deal EA, so you want to make your own. Great! I love that idea.

What I don't love is you not allowing Origin to ride into peoples hearts on it's own merits and are instead forcing people to use it.

What that tells me, the consumer, is that you have a shitty product you can't sell.

The fact is that you need to earn that trust there EA, you aren't world renown for your quality.

The best product out there can rise to the top of the heap on it's own. When you don't allow that then you tell me you don't have the best product out there.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who don't see what the big deal is. This is EXACTLY the same thing that Valve did with Half-Life 2 and you might think that Steam is pretty shit-hot now but believe me, it was a piece of crap when it launched. So why is it okay for one but not the other?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I fucking knew it, people kept telling me I wouldn't need it, shows them! Glad I cancelled my pre ordered when I first heard it wasn't coming to steam <.<

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
manythings said:
TheGoldenMan said:
"Steam doesn't update EA games like we want them to so... No Battlefield. We promise! It's about updates!"

Days later. Battlefield requires Origin.
Fuck it. I'm playing it on my Xbox.
And many, MANY games require Steam. Everything bad people are going to say about this Valve has already done a long time ago.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Wanna play a Valve game? Not without Steam. Want to buy a Valve game from Impulse, D2D or even Origin? Not gonna happen.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Is there an email address I can contact DICE with?

Because I want to take the high road here, and just say to them that I will not be purchasing BF3 for this reason.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I'll add my voice to the chorus of those who don't see what the big deal is. This is EXACTLY the same thing that Valve did with Half-Life 2 and you might think that Steam is pretty shit-hot now but believe me, it was a piece of crap when it launched. So why is it okay for one but not the other?
Exactly, people need to shut up.
No_Remainders said:
I was going to get it on pc, but

xbox time.
So you're going to sacrifice the quality of the game because of their download service? You remember that the console version is getting maps half the size and only supporting 24 players right?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Because Valve hasn't got a reputation for being an evil company.

EA held that throne for a long time, and has only recently (just) lost it to Activision. I have no reason to trust them.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Well yes, it was a peice of crap, but its gotten much much better. And its because people actually TRUST and LIKE VALVe opposed to EA and its policies of screwing over anyone playing their games. I've also heard that Origin does not have sales, it's games' prices are much higher, and, well, its another thing running in the background.

Edit: Oh COME ON! just as i was writing this someone ninja's me!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It's not really a huge shock, given the online-focused nature of the game, but another client running in the background, sucking up CPU cycles and RAM, is not something that's likely to make gamers very happy.
That's not the problem. Origin IP blocking regions of the world. That's the fucking problem. If this is the case, I quite literally won't be able to play the game. Really hope there's something amiss here cause fuck knows you don't need a DRM to protect an online game with an authentication system.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Games to buy:
Mass Effect 3
Uncharted 3
Battlefield 3
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Skyrim

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
IF i was going to buy Battlefield 3 on PC, never mind at all, i wouldnt care much about this because about 103% of my PC games are from Steam, therefore im used to background programs eating my taskbar.

Also i never close Firefox for anything. Not even TF2.

That said im still not sure how Origin performs when compared to Steam. In fact, im not even sure why EA went out of thier way to rip off Steam in the first place.