Battlefield 4 Teams With Axe For Embarrassing Cross-Promotion

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
So, apparently love can bloom on a Battlefield, Otacon.
Andy Chalk said:
I've never played Battlefield, and I've never worn Axe. There's no connection between the two, it's entirely coincidental
I disagree. They're both products that fancy themselves the "sophisticated" alternative to their chief competitor (Call of Duty and Tag [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENYMfghK9E], respectively).

They're also both things that inspire waves of knee-jerk smugness on the Escapist forums. :p

Fortunately, the woman soldier in the ad wasn't showing much skin, or we'd have 587 sexism threads. Sarkeesian be praised!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RatherDull said:
I don't have anything against people who wear Axe, at least not specifically for their choice to wear Axe
I do!

AXE smells like **** and the only reason anyone wears it is if they're a complete tool or a douchebag. Most likely both.

In a way I thank AXE for existing just to serve as an early warning sign that I should have nothing to do with anyone who wears it.
Look, I can understand the offense to the senses, not everyone agrees on what actually smells good due to olfactory differences... but judging someone's personality by the body-spray/deodorant they wear seems to be just a bit prejudicial and close-minded. It'd be one thing to say you avoid them because of the scent, but its just kinda offensive because that automatically puts people like me, who you have no clue who I am nor how my personality is, in a "tool" or "douchebag" class simply because of the fact I might wear AXE from time to time.
Judge people for who they are, not what they wear, like a book for its content not the cover. The other type of attitude seems way more douchebag/tool-ish to me than just wearing a deodorant brand.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
My reaction to it would get me a warning for low content.

"lol... oh dear"

Nice to see EA is still able to create awful promotional material.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm trying to think of a scenario where a soldier would want to put on Axe in an attempt to woo ladies just before he is deployed.

I mean, a soldier wouldn't want to use a spray of "fragrance" (I refuse to call Axe "deodorant"), they would want to use a proper antiperspirant like what Rexona or Old Spice produce.

But I guess if you're stupid enough for this ad to work for you then you're stupid enough to consider using Axe.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
So, I'm guessing Axe is basically Lynx by another name (or Lynx is Axe by another name maybe, I don't know)? If so, this isn't really that different from many other ads for this particular product, though this one isn't very good.

The "Nothing beats an astronaut. Ever" ads were alright, I thought.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
These comments are kind of an over reaction don't you think. I mean it's an utterly harmless commercial that is honestly more tame than the regular Axe commercials.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Next time a war breaks out be sure to bring your axes guys. And no, not the battle axes, the spray.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
RatherDull said:
Deshara said:
Look, I can understand the offense to the senses, not everyone agrees on what actually smells good due to olfactory differences... but judging someone's personality by the body-spray/deodorant they wear seems to be just a bit prejudicial and close-minded. It'd be one thing to say you avoid them because of the scent, but its just kinda offensive because that automatically puts people like me, who you have no clue who I am nor how my personality is, in a "tool" or "douchebag" class simply because of the fact I might wear AXE from time to time.
Judge people for who they are, not what they wear, like a book for its content not the cover. The other type of attitude seems way more douchebag/tool-ish to me than just wearing a deodorant brand.
The entire marketing for AXE is horribly offensive and it is specifically made for people who I want to avoid.

AXE smells awful so I can't think of another reason to wear it.
Yeah... it's pretty bad. Every Axe commercial I've seen is more or less "Wear Axe, get laid."

Who does that appeal to? Who would want to wear Axe after seeing a commercial like that? I personally don't enjoy being painted as some sex-crazed man child, so I avoid Axe. Plus, I think it smells like shit. Although, I think all body sprays smell bad.

This commercial makes fun of Axe, and it never ceases to crack me up.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Gotta love the bitter irony of the "Rated M For Mature" voice over at the end.

I think this add campaign goes a long way in explaining why EA has made so many bad decisions over the years, they think their customer base is exclusively made up of lonely desperate fucktards that will buy into any kind of cockamamie gimmick.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
vansau said:
First they shut down Command & Conquer, now this.

Banner week you're having, EA. Banner week.
To be fair though, that C&C thing wasn't looking so hot anyways. God I miss Westwood Command and Conquer games :'(

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
My parents gave me a can of axe as a stocking stuffer one Christmas, and I have to say, the cylindrical shape of the can made for a great trebuchet projectile.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
So let me get this straight. Modern tanks are equipped with armor that can shrug off machine gun fire and explosives, and the smell of Axe Body spray can still penetrate?

And someone thought that was a recommendation?

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
amaranth_dru said:
RatherDull said:
I don't have anything against people who wear Axe, at least not specifically for their choice to wear Axe
I do!

AXE smells like **** and the only reason anyone wears it is if they're a complete tool or a douchebag. Most likely both.

In a way I thank AXE for existing just to serve as an early warning sign that I should have nothing to do with anyone who wears it.
I feel you, I also wear axe from time to time because my girlfriend buys it. Ironically, I know a few girls who buy it for men they know or are with. The thing about nerd culture is that the community generally seems to hate anything associated with the popular crowd. I guess some people were mentally damaged beyond repair during their high school years by a few guys wearing axe. Eh, like most in this thread, I really have nothing of value to add here aside from: Sweet, free battlefield shit from shit I already get.