Bayonetta 2 announced as Wii U exclusive, console gamers pissed.

Kikyoo

Apr 16, 2008
This is funny to me. I kinda step back and see this as a young vs Old.

Young: Aww man things are changing?! I hate change! I wanted every new game to ever come out to come out on my PS3 or Xbox 360! Now there is something new and I hate it!

Old: Whelp looks like things are changing. New console exclusives huh? More things change, the more they stay the same I suppose.

Honestly I'm not about to buy a WiiU for Bayonetta. It was a fun game, but I almost passed it over entirely. It didn't just grab me when i first saw it. I played it later and it was pretty fun...

The thing is The WiiU has no real competition as a "next gen" console at the moment... Theoretically the PS4 and nextgenbox could come out, but last I heard Sony and Microsoft were kinda banking on what they currently have to last a little bit longer. BUT this means that the WiiU is not a first day Buy for me. It has basicly nothing coming out on it when it comes out that I care about... So I've got to wait for a few games for it that I want to get. Bayonetta 2 is a very solid "win" for Nintendo, but they need more of these to really get me sold.

Example I didn't get a PS3 till DMC4 came out on it. I've enjoyed my PS3 a lot since then, but that was the game that really sold me on the system. Incidentally DMC4 was very disappointing to me, but the PS3 was not. My favorite games on it were Dark souls, Demons souls, and Disgaea. Originally I got the PS3 for good RPGs and some action titles, but it seems like that plan didn't work out so well.

I personally am going to wait for more, and better games to come out for the WiiU. Because Bayonetta alone is not enough to sell it for me. I need to hear that they are going to have other games as well. Having Capcom's support on the WiiU would be a huge selling point, since Capcom's games are some of my favorites. Until then I'm content to wait. Also Bayonetta needs some high review scores when it comes out to get my money.

Also. Just to throw two cents into the big 3rd person hack n slash vs FPS I'd just like to comment. One of the big things that turns me off to First person shooters is that you've got one button to press... the shoot button. Find that button and you are pretty much golden. I prefer 3rd person hack N Slash because you get more interesting combat. Sure you might be able to spam your favorite combo and get through the entire thing, but there is depth to it. You can always improve if you feel the desire to do so, and challenging the harder difficulties can be a very rewarding experience. The biggest draw of a FPS I think is the Multiplayer. Having simple easy to learn controls, so that you and all your friends can go mess around. Otherwise I never enjoy First person games.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
hermes200 said:
I have said it before and I say it again. I would not have been pissed about it if the game turned exclusive to one of the systems in which it was originally sold. It would have been disappointing if they went for one of them and I don't have it, but at least it would have make sense for SOME people.

This? This makes sense for NO ONE. Unless people have every console, no one that played the first one gets to play the new one, and people that play the new one won't play the first one. I am not mad at Nintendo for doing it (its their job to get good exclusives at launch), but I am pretty mad at Sega/Platinum for agreeing to it.

And, for the last time, stop comparing this to Terraria. Its not the same thing. Terraria was released years ago for PC and now console players can play it too. The PC crowd gets nothing out of it, other than more people playing the game. Terraria didn't drop support, its still available in PC and probably cheaper; and its not like the sequel was announced to be console exclusive... You want to compare Terraria's tantrum to another example? Its like when people complained about Mass Effect 2 getting ported for the PS3 a year after it was on the 360.

This? I can't think of a similar example, except maybe FF6 and FF7.
This has been said so many times before, if it weren't for Nintendo then NO ONE would be able to play Bayonetta 2. Sega had abandoned the series, Microsoft and Sony didn't want to pick it up and no other developers wanted it. So no Bayonetta 2, or Bayonetta 2 on a Nintendo console. And you're implying that anyone who owns a Wii U won't ever have had an Xbox 360 or PS3, and vice-versa.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
Ignoring the Nintendo Bias there is, as it's as important to me as people arguing over Pepsi, Coke, and Sprite (Nintendo would be the spite in my opinion), I'm going to address the other comment that is truly baffling to me.

'Well, good luck buying a console for only one game'.

Like the development of the system will stop two months after the Wii-U drops.

And, praytell, how many games should there be before you buy a new system? I mean, these people are in the business of making money, not making us happy. If we all just waited until there were a thousand games for a console, the business would have died way before now. Companies would just say these things aren't selling.

So, yeah, what's the bare minimum of release games that would warrant a purchase?

ZombiU is interesting to me. The Wonderful 101 seems like it can be something. Nintendo land looks like Megaman Legends. Bayonetta makes four. Is that enough to want the system and not get scorn?
The difference between this and soda wars is that tommorrow anyone living close enough to a convenience store could buy a pepsi, a coke, or a sprite. You don't need to buy a $100 "Sprite drinking machine" to drink sprite along with one for pepsi and one for coke if you want all 3.

Here's the thing, the wii was pretty unfriendly to certain demographics, making people skeptical at how much value the wii-u will have to them besides this one game. With the other consoles people assume more games for them will come out. People assume the next xbox will have some exclusive shooters as will the ps3 along with a nice selection of multiplatform game. Yes they're in the business of making money, you won't make any money if people feel they're spending $300 for one game. Hopefully the wiiu will be good and I won't feel like it's entirely impossible for me to give a fuck about any game I play on it

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
This has been said so many times before, if it weren't for Nintendo then NO ONE would be able to play Bayonetta 2. Sega had abandoned the series, Microsoft and Sony didn't want to pick it up and no other developers wanted it. So no Bayonetta 2, or Bayonetta 2 on a Nintendo console.
There is no place where it says MS and Sony didn't wanted it. They did say Sega didn't want to touch the series, and I already said I was mad at them for it. I am not mad at Nintendo for doing their job, and I am less mad about Platinum since they are hardly decision makers in this deal.
ToastiestZombie said:
And you're implying that anyone who owns a Wii U won't ever have had an Xbox 360 or PS3, and vice-versa.
No, I am implying people that exclusively have a Wii/Wii U did not play Bayonetta 1, and people that exclusively had a PS3 or 360 at the time and played the first one, will not play Bayonetta 2.

Of course, that would be a mute point if Wii U players buy a 360 to play the first one, or 360/PS3 players buy a Wii U to play the second one, but that is not the point.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
omega 616 said:
Snips. Snips everywhere.
What I'm claiming is far from impossible, because of your character's magical ability to absorb bullets. By strafing around the room it is absolutely possible to clear it using minimal to no cover. There is no exaggeration whatsoever: it's just knowing the basic mechanics of shooters and using that to your advantage.

Here's the thing, though: 'normal' is supposed to represent the average player; i.e. the ones I mentioned that don't want to spend weeks mastering a combat system and just want to unwind with video games for a few hours at a time. It is in no way indicative of how the game is supposed to be played, it's just that if the game was, by default, extremely difficult it would put a huge number of people off (see: Dark Souls.)

Even at that, though, normal difficulty can vary hugely from game to game. In God of War you can take several hits on normal before you die, in Darksiders your health falls off in huge chunks from even basic enemy attacks. Difficulty settings are arbitrarily decided by developers, and the hardest settings (especially in games like Ninja Gaiden which are sold on their incredibly punishing difficulty) are there to present the most skilled players with the ultimate challenge; which is also where the ranking system comes in.

These games are designed so that players who want to test their skills can fight for the best rankings at the highest difficulty; so if you say you don't care about things like that then of course you're not going to get the full experience of the game. It's like playing Skyrim and just deciding to go from town to town buying and selling vegetables, rather than doing any missions: you're still playing the game but by ignoring the content at the heart of the product you're getting an extremely stripped down experience.

2D fighters have long combos, yes, but that isn't a test of skill it's a test of memory, and just like I've been trying to explain to you about hack and slasher games, while you can just mindlessly bash the buttons and still win, the true satisfaction comes from executing a perfect 32-hit combo and ending the round in five seconds. You don't need to do that to succeed, but you don't need to play a game on the hardest difficulty, or set the highest score, or beat all the extra challenges, or collect all the trophies/achievements...at the end of the day you don't need to do anything in games because they are ultimately pointless, but I have a lot more fun challenging myself and testing my skills than just mashing buttons or running through rooms shooting everyone to get to the end of the level as fast as I can.

And really, you're going to have a go at how I type? This isn't high school anymore, if my superior vocabulary intimidates you then that's a shame, but the thing that you are pigheadedly refusing to accept about hack and slashers is that a lot of their combat systems are all about subtlety; deftly switching attack styles mid-battle to link together combos and score huge damage. And yeah, if you're good at God of War you'll probably be good at other games in that genre, that goes without saying. If you're a pastry chef you could probably be a good short-order cook, but that doesn't make it the exact same job.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
hermes200 said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Of course, that would be a mute point if Wii U players buy a 360 to play the first one, or 360/PS3 players buy a Wii U to play the second one, but that is not the point.
Or....Nintendo port the first one to the Wii U.

The idea is that Nintendo are banking on people buying the Wii U from the fact that they enjoyed Bayonetta on the other consoles.

But damn. Enough about that. WHY CAN I BUY METAL GEAR SOLIDS ON THE 360. BUT 4 IS A PS3 EXCLUSIVE! NOOO! THE FIENDS! EVERYONE SHOULD ***** ABOUT THIS BECAUSE ITS A MULTIPLATFORM SERIES THAT IS NOW EXCLUSIVE!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
rob_simple said:
omega 616 said:
Snips. Snips everywhere.
What I'm claiming is far from impossible, because of your character's magical ability to absorb bullets. By strafing around the room it is absolutely possible to clear it using minimal to no cover. There is no exaggeration whatsoever: it's just knowing the basic mechanics of shooters and using that to your advantage.

Here's the thing, though: 'normal' is supposed to represent the average player; i.e. the ones I mentioned that don't want to spend weeks mastering a combat system and just want to unwind with video games for a few hours at a time. It is in no way indicative of how the game is supposed to be played, it's just that if the game was, by default, extremely difficult it would put a huge number of people off (see: Dark Souls.)

Even at that, though, normal difficulty can vary hugely from game to game. In God of War you can take several hits on normal before you die, in Darksiders your health falls off in huge chunks from even basic enemy attacks. Difficulty settings are arbitrarily decided by developers, and the hardest settings (especially in games like Ninja Gaiden which are sold on their incredibly punishing difficulty) are there to present the most skilled players with the ultimate challenge; which is also where the ranking system comes in.

These games are designed so that players who want to test their skills can fight for the best rankings at the highest difficulty; so if you say you don't care about things like that then of course you're not going to get the full experience of the game. It's like playing Skyrim and just deciding to go from town to town buying and selling vegetables, rather than doing any missions: you're still playing the game but by ignoring the content at the heart of the product you're getting an extremely stripped down experience.

2D fighters have long combos, yes, but that isn't a test of skill it's a test of memory, and just like I've been trying to explain to you about hack and slasher games, while you can just mindlessly bash the buttons and still win, the true satisfaction comes from executing a perfect 32-hit combo and ending the round in five seconds. You don't need to do that to succeed, but you don't need to play a game on the hardest difficulty, or set the highest score, or beat all the extra challenges, or collect all the trophies/achievements...at the end of the day you don't need to do anything in games because they are ultimately pointless, but I have a lot more fun challenging myself and testing my skills than just mashing buttons or running through rooms shooting everyone to get to the end of the level as fast as I can.

And really, you're going to have a go at how I type? This isn't high school anymore, if my superior vocabulary intimidates you then that's a shame, but the thing that you are pigheadedly refusing to accept about hack and slashers is that a lot of their combat systems are all about subtlety; deftly switching attack styles mid-battle to link together combos and score huge damage. And yeah, if you're good at God of War you'll probably be good at other games in that genre, that goes without saying. If you're a pastry chef you could probably be a good short-order cook, but that doesn't make it the exact same job.
You know I was going to throw a "whatever, I don't care. I am shutting up now" post at you but you had to put this "and really, you're going to have a go at how I type? This isn't high school anymore, if my superior vocabulary intimidates you then that's a shame, but the thing that you are pigheadedly refusing to accept". No, I wasn't having a go at what you type, read what I said more carefully.

No, it's not. I don't care if you're moving at double speed, they will still kill you ... this is fact.

No, normal is the difficulty that is normal for the game. With easier they make it have less enemies or the enemies do less damage or have less health and hard is the opposite. I very much doubt they make it to suit the average gamer, they suit it to what they think the difficulty should be at.

An extremely difficult game would put people off? Is that why super meat boy, your example and deamons's souls sold so badly? .... Oh wait, they sold really well! So well in fact that PC gamers signed a petition and made 1 of them be ported to PC! Yeah, that difficulty put loads of people off!

Accept I did ninja gaiden 1 with only minor trouble and I'm hardly even good at these games, I avoid them 'cos of how identical they all are but I heard the ninja gaiden games are hard so I picked it up. I am half way through the second 1 but I got bored of it.

I just bought X-men destiny today, it's a hack and slash game ... guess what I have been doing for the past 4 hours? 3 light attacks followed by a heavy attack, not died once on the normal difficulty and I own everything on screen.

There are other aspects of 2D fighters that you ignored, that I listed.

Then these hack and slash games need to force me to try harder or something 'cos it is ultimately pointless for them to put in all this shit you are going on about, if I can just mash my way through. It's like designing a huge perfect puzzle that can test even smartest people but there is a way to do 1 move and beat it instantly ... why bother making it perfect if you're going to defeat yourself?

Shame I had to be good at a bad genre, would have preferred to be naturally good at RTS.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
omega 616 said:
rob_simple said:
omega 616 said:
Snips. Snips everywhere.

You know I was going to throw a "whatever, I don't care. I am shutting up now" post at you but you had to put this "and really, you're going to have a go at how I type? This isn't high school anymore, if my superior vocabulary intimidates you then that's a shame, but the thing that you are pigheadedly refusing to accept". No, I wasn't having a go at what you type, read what I said more carefully.

No, it's not. I don't care if you're moving at double speed, they will still kill you ... this is fact.

No, normal is the difficulty that is normal for the game. With easier they make it have less enemies or the enemies do less damage or have less health and hard is the opposite. I very much doubt they make it to suit the average gamer, they suit it to what they think the difficulty should be at.

An extremely difficult game would put people off? Is that why super meat boy, your example and deamons's souls sold so badly? .... Oh wait, they sold really well! So well in fact that PC gamers signed a petition and made 1 of them be ported to PC! Yeah, that difficulty put loads of people off!

Accept I did ninja gaiden 1 with only minor trouble and I'm hardly even good at these games, I avoid them 'cos of how identical they all are but I heard the ninja gaiden games are hard so I picked it up. I am half way through the second 1 but I got bored of it.

I just bought X-men destiny today, it's a hack and slash game ... guess what I have been doing for the past 4 hours? 3 light attacks followed by a heavy attack, not died once on the normal difficulty and I own everything on screen.

There are other aspects of 2D fighters that you ignored, that I listed.

Then these hack and slash games need to force me to try harder or something 'cos it is ultimately pointless for them to put in all this shit you are going on about, if I can just mash my way through. It's like designing a huge perfect puzzle that can test even smartest people but there is a way to do 1 move and beat it instantly ... why bother making it perfect if you're going to defeat yourself?

Shame I had to be good at a bad genre, would have preferred to be naturally good at RTS.
Okay, now I give up. You sarcastically poke holes in what I say while willfully ignoring the points I am making. Maybe I'm not being clear enough, my bad; think whatever you want.

I'll continue to enjoy playing all variety of games, challenging and easy, and not ignorantly dismissing entire genres because of misguided notions that use opinion in place of fact.

Peace out.

Sep 24, 2008
mike1921 said:
The difference between this and soda wars is that tommorrow anyone living close enough to a convenience store could buy a pepsi, a coke, or a sprite. You don't need to buy a $100 "Sprite drinking machine" to drink sprite along with one for pepsi and one for coke if you want all 3.

Here's the thing, the wii was pretty unfriendly to certain demographics, making people skeptical at how much value the wii-u will have to them besides this one game. With the other consoles people assume more games for them will come out. People assume the next xbox will have some exclusive shooters as will the ps3 along with a nice selection of multiplatform game. Yes they're in the business of making money, you won't make any money if people feel they're spending $300 for one game. Hopefully the wiiu will be good and I won't feel like it's entirely impossible for me to give a fuck about any game I play on it
For your first point, give them time. I'm sure they will come up with something.

Secondly is a case of semantics to me. The Wii was trying to open up to different markets. A lot of people take that personally, and I get it. I don't like watching Comic book movies because I know the history around the events they are depicting, and I know it's impossible to condense it all in a 2 hour flick. Thereby making something I find wholly unsatisfying.

Wii tried something new that caused limitations in it's hardware, both necessary and un. And people reacted unfavorably. The broader demographic probably didn't see the joy of shoving a Chainsaw gun into someone's gut and throwing them away, so yeah, the games got a little softer around the edges. That doesn't mean they weren't fun. I don't own a Wii, but I have plenty of friends who do and I had fun with it.

Now the line up seems like it can finally have the true marriage between Hardcore and Softcore players. Zombiu looks amazing, like I said, and Bayonetta can be just as fun on it. And it might not even need the tablet, as the other controllers look like a rip off of the Xbox.

My point is, it might be a perfectly good system. And you've made that allowance, I've seen that. You're being more open minded than most. But I remember how much people just derided the DS when it first came out. Gimmicky was the word of the day, as most things Nintendo tries. The DS was laughed out of the box by gamers, remembering (justly so) the abomination of the Virtual Boy. However, as time has shown, they were wrong to do so. DS is probably one of the best systems I ever owned. And not hand held, but systems out right. It sells and it excels in many aspects, all personal feelings aside. It is a hit.

In an age where people just cry out with disgust that we're getting the same tried and 'true' recipe of White, brown haired space marine with new types of weapon, and the next console will just have higher specs, Nintendo is the only one saying 'Well, what else can we do'. They take the risk, it hits and it misses. But it's so strange that eventually even when they do miss, the other consoles and companies take notice and try to ape it in some way.

"Ha, Ha, Ha, silly Nintendo. That Wii has a ridiculous name (agreed) and the controller looks like are horrid joke. Who would ever play with something that looks like that?"= Playstation fanboys circa 2006

= reality circa 2010

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Well for one, I'm not sure about Bayonetta 2 as a game. Already killed what basically amounts to God, so what's the next step for Bayonetta?

Anyway, Platinum, I'm not happy about this but I respect the decision. I don't think the WiiU will be the right console for it but regardless, I can live without a sequel I enjoyed very much.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I personally won't be buying a WIIU until a price cut on the black version, which tbh is what most of us need.

Maybe it's because I was a PC only gamer for such a long time where there were so many great games I couldn't play that i'm not butthurt about exclusives anymore. It isn't as if 360 or PS3 owners don't have similar games to play, The original Bayonetta is such a deep and technical game that most of us would find enjoyment replaying that and mastering it's gameplay. This is what I intend to do until I buy a WiiU.

On another note since it's Ninty handling the publishing who seem to be the only publisher who knows how to keep their niche games out of the bargin bucket they make a better publisher than Sega, whose games make the bargin bucket quicker than any other retail pub and are still the cheapest games to buy on Amazon. Vanquish is £6 new.

Given how bad a shape Sega are in, it wouldn't surprise me if Ninty grabed a WiiU port of Anarchy Reigns

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
UberNoodle said:
So the rule is, I gather, that exclusives suck when Nintendo has them. I see.
They suck when they swap platforms, away from their established fanbase.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Denamic said:
UberNoodle said:
Like with Final Fantasy VII, or any of the other examples given.

7thHanyou

Jun 7, 2011
Rastrelly said:
UberNoodle said:
Exclusiveness suck. Period.
Wait, what? Exclusives are awesome. They're what makes any given console stand out.

Otherwise, all you get is a bunch of weaker PCs.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Denamic said:
UberNoodle said:
It's like people forget Nintendo supported 1-6.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
kyosai7 said:
Denamic said:
UberNoodle said:
It's like people forget Nintendo supported 1-6.
Insult to injury: There was a tech demo running FF6 on N64 before launch, too!