Bayonetta 2 Review - A Witch In Time

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Bayonetta 2 Review - A Witch In Time

Flashy, ridiculous, and a sublime example of spectacle fighting.

Read Full Article

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
VinLAURiA said:
Cue furious Yahtzites in 3... 2... 1...

Okay, I'm not furious about this; I'm curious about something not mentioned in this review. Well, I would be if I hadn't played the demo. In Yahtzee's review of the original Bayonetta, he said that "the QTEs are irregular, very sudden, and give you an amount of time equivocal to the audience's attention span." In the demo of this sequel, Quick-Time Events for jumping across chasms allowed 10 seconds or more and even show which cardinal direction the button is in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the Bayonetta 1 re-release also has QTEs this fair.

Speaking of demos, you really should try it. It's a good sample that does what a demo should. It brings to mind The Stanley Parable Demo, which you should check out if you're somehow on the fence on getting that full game (on sale this weekend).

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Although I am not too hyped for it, I will probably pick it up when it comes out, looking for a new action game and the first Bayonetta was pretty fun. The moment I saw that trailer where it shows you can use a chain chomp as a weapon sold it for me.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Ok, lets check back in in a month or 2 and see what the sales are going to be like. Considering the first only sold about 2 million units world wide, I can see it being less since it is only on 1 console this time.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
kiri2tsubasa said:
Ok, lets check back in in a month or 2 and see what the sales are going to be like. Considering the first only sold about 2 million units world wide, I can see it being less since it is only on 1 console this time.
"The first one only sold equivalent to a double platinum record."

2 million is by no means a bad sales figure. It's actually pretty decent with an average AAA (read not one of the big 4 COD, BF, AC, GTA) selling around 1.5 million units.

And given if I'm not mistaken they built the original game in an existing engine (the modified Cry-Engine used for the Hedgehog Engine I believe) so only had to develop mechanical systems not a graphics engine, financially that ain't a bad goer.... critically a massive success, even if it doesn't sell massively well, Bayonetta is a franchise you put out maybe twice a decade because critics and fans love it. It's not about mahoosive sales, it's about fan loyalty and respect for their audience. :)

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Bayonetta doesn't work for me for two big reasons:

1. The game takes the SquareEnix Fashion Approach and dials it up to 11. Jim himself mentions the headless angel that talks out of a baby's face on his sword, but he doesn't bat an eye at how ridiculous that is, how the game is nothing but spikes and wings and halos and baby-faces but apparently he's okay with that and the ludicrous plot and the bizarre combat system for Bayonetta while he tears SquareEnix a new one for literally the same problem. Once Bayonetta hits her action sequences, the whole thing turns into a spinning dervish of random colors on top of environments that are spinning in orbit around more spinning. Kaleidoscopes have more to focus on than Bayonetta's games.

2. Bayonetta isn't sexy. Sorry, she's not. A better animator could have made her more graceful, but instead she struts back and forth with this stiff, robotic, "I'm wearing platform shoes that are way too big for me and I don't want to trip" gait, juts her body parts out at weird angles like she's working a kink out of her back, and usually ends it with an awkward standing-squat that looks like she's trying to use a bidet while riding a horse. This is like Gina Davis trying to be sexy and its so freakin' upsetting because you know she's trying her best but she's just failing so hard. Oh but she wears skin-tight clothes so I guess that's fine. And she gets naked repeatedly because her clothes are also her hair and her hair has to transform into other things like weapons and belts and zippers and more hair and FUCK'S SAKE JIM YOU JUST DID A JIMQUISITION ON WHY THIS KIND OF NONSENSE IS SO FUCKING STUPID!

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
AH! This game looks so amazing and fun! I can't believe I have to wait another whole week for it!
At least I still have Mordor to finish and Korra on Tuesday to hold me over until a proper Platinum game comes out.

But, damn it, I don't want to wait an entire week.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
My hype is increasing far too much, the glowing review has helped to push it even further!

VinLAURiA said:
Yahtzee's opinion on Bayonetta may as well be irrelevant seeing as he played the PS3 version anyway. His future vision of the series is probably forever tainted. Plus it's a Nintendo exclusive now.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Legend Of Korra next week too :D

What have we done to deserve two Platinum games in one week! :D

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
SnakeoilSage said:
Once Bayonetta hits her action sequences, the whole thing turns into a spinning dervish of random colors on top of environments that are spinning in orbit around more spinning. Kaleidoscopes have more to focus on than Bayonetta's games.
When you know how to play spectacle fighters it's generally quite easy to follow the action. So I guess the answer to this is git gud?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Never played the first one. Didn't appeal to me. I'm glad it's a good game, though. I should get a Wii U. But not for this.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
GloatingSwine said:
When you know how to play spectacle fighters it's generally quite easy to follow the action. So I guess the answer to this is git gud?
"Git gud" is a poor argument. There is no challenge to Bayonetta, it's all button mashing and QTE's. You don't need skill, just patience. The rest is flashing lights and nonsense to make an otherwise boring combat experience less obvious. And you fell for it, because you call this a "spectacle fighter" when it's just another beat-'em-up with pretensions of epicness. It's like you're playing tennis, and every time you hit the ball, a firework goes off in your face and a naked woman runs across the field for a split second.

I don't need to adjust myself to someone else's inability to design proper action. You don't force yourself to sit through The Dark Knight Rises and its poorly edited fight scenes when you can go watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier and its beautifully choreographed and professionally filmed action.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
SnakeoilSage said:
GloatingSwine said:
"Git gud" is a poor argument. There is no challenge to Bayonetta, it's all button mashing and QTE's. You don't need skill, just patience. The rest is flashing lights and nonsense to make an otherwise boring combat experience less obvious. And you fell for it, because you call this a "spectacle fighter" when it's just another beat-'em-up with pretensions of epicness. It's like you're playing tennis, and every time you hit the ball, a firework goes off in your face and a naked woman runs across the field for a split second.

I don't need to adjust myself to someone else's inability to design proper action. You don't force yourself to sit through The Dark Knight Rises and its poorly edited fight scenes when you can go watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier and its beautifully choreographed and professionally filmed action.
Well I can safely say you don't play spectacle fighters from this statement.

Button-mashing in the first Bayonetta, or any of the original 4 Devil May Crys, or Metal Gear Rising will get a sword shoved up your rear end multiple times by the end of the game. If you're playing on normal, you might be able to will your way through the game that way, but complaining about it at that point seems pointless.

Saying these games require zero skill in BS.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
SnakeoilSage said:
GloatingSwine said:

Welp, you've basically demonstrated to the internet that you have never played above Easy Automatic.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
SnakeoilSage said:
GloatingSwine said:
Correction, this a "hack n slash" not a "beat em up". They're totally different in their approach to action since good character action games such as Bayo rely heavily on depth, and yes there is depth underneath all the spectacles and QTEs you're talking about. This is no different from Devil May Cry's depth: there are dodge offsets, there is jump canceling, there is a variety of juggles, OTGs, and other stark combos with a vast variety of weapons that you can pull out on the fly if you were to, just gonna quote GloatingSwine on this one, "git gud". If one thing the old character action games Kamiya and the team working on this game did better was NOT having the QTEs and such and left it to cutscenes. But minus the mandatory stuff you're pointing out, the in game QTEs are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL for the simple purpose of a flashy kill.

Don't believe me?

Fans of hack n slash games go for the easy kills first run through, but the real meat and potatoes of Bayonetta comes from the depth in combat behind the red flashing buttons you think veterans of the character action genre are "falling for".
And button mashing in a Platinum game? Have you actually played one, because that's a one way ticket to a terrible k/d ratio.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Rellik San said:
kiri2tsubasa said:

2 million is by no means a bad sales figure. It's actually pretty decent with an average AAA (read not one of the big 4 COD, BF, AC, GTA) selling around 1.5 million units.

And given if I'm not mistaken they built the original game in an existing engine (the modified Cry-Engine used for the Hedgehog Engine I believe) so only had to develop mechanical systems not a graphics engine, financially that ain't a bad goer.... critically a massive success, even if it doesn't sell massively well, Bayonetta is a franchise you put out maybe twice a decade because critics and fans love it. It's not about mahoosive sales, it's about fan loyalty and respect for their audience. :)
But you're overlooking one big fact. Bayonetta was dead in the water, no sequel was coming, until Nintendo stepped in and gave them money to make it. So yea it was all about "mahoosive sales" or in this case a lack thereof.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
GloatingSwine said:

Congrats, you just described 'easy', ever try the game on normal? or hard? Button mashing gets your ass kicked in the modes.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
... I can have Bayonetta cosplay as Princess Peach? Consider me sold.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
That game that have Kathleen as main protagonist?
Not my thing, but I guess that is at least one good reason to play it :D

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
My friend has a wii u, so I think I'll make him buy this. That said, I love how Jim both referred to it as a spectacle fighter and that he tried to defuse the sexism issue right at the start.

Nice try.

Hades

Elite Member
May 7, 2020
Country
The Netherlands
SnakeoilSage said:
1. The game takes the SquareEnix Fashion Approach and dials it up to 11. Jim himself mentions the headless angel that talks out of a baby's face on his sword, but he doesn't bat an eye at how ridiculous that is, how the game is nothing but spikes and wings and halos and baby-faces but apparently he's okay with that and the ludicrous plot and the bizarre combat system for Bayonetta while he tears SquareEnix a new one for literally the same problem. Once Bayonetta hits her action sequences, the whole thing turns into a spinning dervish of random colors on top of environments that are spinning in orbit around more spinning. Kaleidoscopes have more to focus on than Bayonetta's games.

2. Bayonetta isn't sexy. Sorry, she's not. A better animator could have made her more graceful, but instead she struts back and forth with this stiff, robotic, "I'm wearing platform shoes that are way too big for me and I don't want to trip" gait, juts her body parts out at weird angles like she's working a kink out of her back, and usually ends it with an awkward standing-squat that looks like she's trying to use a bidet while riding a horse. This is like Gina Davis trying to be sexy and its so freakin' upsetting because you know she's trying her best but she's just failing so hard. Oh but she wears skin-tight clothes so I guess that's fine. And she gets naked repeatedly because her clothes are also her hair and her hair has to transform into other things like weapons and belts and zippers and more hair and FUCK'S SAKE JIM YOU JUST DID A JIMQUISITION ON WHY THIS KIND OF NONSENSE IS SO FUCKING STUPID!
I think this is a clear case of ''context is everything''.

The Final fantasy XIII series took itself 10000% seriously which makes the main characters walking around in numerous belts and other weird clothing, along with bizarre looking monsters much harder to swallow then Bayonetta which is a series that openly revels in the absurdity it presents.

Bayonetta knows its setting is over the top and absolutely absurd and its proud of it while XIII probably considered itself a very serious matter.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
GloatingSwine said:

Just out of curiosity, if Bayonetta 2 is Dark Knight Rises, what is Winter Soldier?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Long and short:

Edge magazine gave this a 10.

...Edge magazine doesn't give 10s.

I'm getting a Wii-U at the end of the year, and I'm buying this.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Pre-order the limited edition with the first one, I got a Wii You when I heard the realse slot for SSB4. Played the demo, though I sucked I did have fun.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
My Wii U arrived on Thursday. CeX will apparently give me £129 in store credit for it.

Yes, I sucked it up and bought a Wii U just for this game. No, I am not particularly proud of that.
Callate said:
Long and short:

They gave the first one a 10 as well. Hopefully this isn't going to be like them giving Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 10 it scarcely deserved...

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It looks like it could be fun, but to be honest, I find the idea of "endless crotch shots" and "horny pandering" a little off-putting to say the least. Is Jim overplaying those elements or is the game really like that? The answer could determine whether I finally buy a WiiU.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Olas said:
It looks like it could be fun, but to be honest, I find the idea of "endless crotch shots" and "horny pandering" a little off-putting to say the least. Is Jim overplaying those elements or is the game really like that? The answer could determine whether I finally buy a WiiU.
You can't overplay anything Bayonetta does. It's a tribute to gaudy overindulgence. That's part of its strength.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Kinitawowi said:
My Wii U arrived on Thursday. CeX will apparently give me £129 in store credit for it.

Yes, I sucked it up and bought a Wii U just for this game. No, I am not particularly proud of that.
Callate said:
Long and short:

They gave the first one a 10 as well. Hopefully this isn't going to be like them giving Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 10 it scarcely deserved...
Now you can get Hyrule Warriors as well. :) Don't worry. The library for the Wii U is in good shape now and will be in phenomenal shape once Super Smash hits two months from now and Splatoon and Mario Maker hit.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
I get that without Nintendo this game wouldn't exist, but it's still a damn shame it's exclusive to Wii U. I'm happy Wii U owners finally got thrown a decent 3rd party title, good for them. Also at least Platinum got to make the sequel.

But still...too bad it couldn't be on a decent platform. Shame on Sony for not backing the developer, who the fuck turns down a Bayonetta sequel?

Oh well, at least a Wii U emulator on PC will come around eventually so all hope isn't lost.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Good review, Jim. I may pick this up next week or so as something for the Wii U to hold my attention with until SSB4 comes out.

I'm also glad that, unlike another website (which I won't say here), you didn't take points off of it just because of the over-the-top sexuality. Seriously, that would be really fucking stupid.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
There's nothing on the Wii-U they said, get a XBone/PS4 instead they said, NOW WHO'S LAUGHING!? I'LL GIVE YOU A CLUE!!!

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Jimothy Sterling said:
Olas said:
You can't overplay anything Bayonetta does. It's a tribute to gaudy overindulgence. That's part of its strength.
exactly, you have to go into this like those old 80s action movies. it's silly absurd and a bit/lot juvenile but it doesn't stop the action being fun and engaging. And some memorable characters here and there.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Aaron Sylvester said:
who the fuck turns down a Bayonetta sequel?
Everybody. I totally can see Microsoft giving it a pass because is too japanese or Activision because they think chicks are icky, but Sony and Nanco Bandai?!
I think it's because dmc sell poorly.

On the flip side, I'm happy that Ubisoft passed it. #30fpsmyass

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
KazeAizen said:
Now you can get Hyrule Warriors as well. :) Don't worry. The library for the Wii U is in good shape now and will be in phenomenal shape once Super Smash hits two months from now and Splatoon and Mario Maker hit.
Four don't cares, I'm afraid. I haven't liked a Mario or Zelda since the SNES days [/lawn], and SSB is a resounding "meh".

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
SnakeoilSage said:
Ok man I can totally get someone not liking bayonetta. It´s like with darksouls, for some it´s the first coming of christ (because there was no christ before dark souls and if there ever was, dark souls backstabbed him right on the spot), for others it´s glitchy and unnessecarily hard. But don´t ever mention captain "I´m lame" america anywhere near the glory, the magnificence, the amazingness, that is bayonetta.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
People actually find Bayonetta attractive?

I mean, she doesn't even look human...
SnakeoilSage said:
Can't stop laughing at this.

Someone recommended CA for the action scenes.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
JagermanXcell said:
Snip

Don't believe me?

Fans of hack n slash games go for the easy kills first run through, but the real meat and potatoes of Bayonetta comes from the depth in combat behind the red flashing buttons you think veterans of the character action genre are "falling for".
And button mashing in a Platinum game? Have you actually played one, because that's a one way ticket to a terrible k/d ratio.
This music. It is awesome. I do so want this game.

One thing about the review. I don't know how everybody else feels, but I really think this review (and pretty much all others) needs to have game footage. Jim may be the best review writer in the business, but words can only go so far in describing an entry into such a visual medium. I just think there is so much more illustration and impact of what he says when there is video as evidence of it. Of course, there is Youtube. But that footage isn't catered to the description in the review. Instead, it's catered to needs of whomever else posted it. If I'm not mistaken, Jim did mention he prefers written reviews and reserving video for his fun extra stuff on Youtube. I can respect that. But there is certainly an argument to be made for how much more practical and impactful a review becomes to the audience with video to support the praise or criticism or whatever other information is provided.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I assume Jimbo is directing some of his digs at the kerfuffle in Polygon's comment section. It's really regrettable that such a discussion even needs to take place.

Personally, I find Bayonetta "outrageous enough to get a pass" as well, but I've seen a lot of defensive comments making her to be a misunderstood feminist character by design. That, to me, just seems disingenuous - Hideki Kamiya never really hid how he felt about her.

And, really, the lurid camera is making it really hard to envision Bayo as some sort of comedic, drag-queen-fabulous sex-avenger, and not just a sleazy porn-prop.

drednoahl

Nov 23, 2011
Since this game is going to cost me a lot of money (due to having to buy the damn console and probably a controller too) I've actually read some reviews (because I had pretty much given up on reviews and reviewers since ME3.) You haven't answered all my questions, but you only missed one* and (I doubt you'd have had the time to find the answer,) and that counts for a fucking lot when some of the reviews I've read haven't told me anything I don't already know.

I was a little worried at first (and had to duckduckgo Rob Liefeld) when you brought up sexuality, but I should have known you'd review the actual game rather than dock points for feeling uncomfortable around an alphette (as in alpha female.) I was uncomfortable with a lot of the overt stuff in the first Bayonetta but I think it was there by design as another hurdle between me and mastery of the game; a guilty pleasure and a neat trick for the devs to pull off. If I'm right though then Bayonetta needs Julian Clary as a playable character because that would be like the biggest hurdle I'd ever face as a gamer (camp men make me really uncomfortable - I don't care about the gay bit.)

Cheers Jim.

*The question I was thinking of by the way was: is the ultimate reward for Bayonetta 2 not to play as Bayonetta as it was with the first game?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Olas said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the closest game to perfection according to gamespot http://www.gamespot.com/videos/looking-back-on-all-of-gamespots-10-10-reviews/2300-6421843/?utm_campaign=gamespace&utm_content=footer&utm_medium=partner&utm_source=gamerankings
And while it's hard to argue that sutff, it's damn good game, totally deserves a 10, way more than stuff like The Last of Us.

I will buy Bayonetta 1 and 2 for Wii U, I have the 1st one on Ps3, but enver finished because the big amount of loadings and cutscenes turned me off.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
PunkRex said:
There's nothing on the Wii-U they said, get a XBone/PS4 instead they said, NOW WHO'S LAUGHING!? I'LL GIVE YOU A CLUE!!!
Slow down there buddy, Wii U has a very long way to go in terms of being considered a respectable gaming platform playing on par with XBone/PS4/PC :p

So far Nintendo consoles have been little more than this:

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:
Slow down there buddy, Wii U has a very long way to go in terms of being considered a respectable gaming platform playing on par with XBone/PS4/PC :p

at this point does it need to be anything else? why does it have to be exactly like the PS4 and Xbox One, which by the way are so identical that there is little reason to buy one over the other. at least Nintendo tried to do something different, they put innovation of graphical horse power, and as far as gameplay innovations go, Nintendo is all the better for it. i am not saying the Xbox One or the PS4 are not bad consoles, but they are simply a graphical upgrade, and to me that's incredibly boring.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Evonisia said:
VinLAURiA said:
Yahtzee's opinion on Bayonetta may as well be irrelevant seeing as he played the PS3 version anyway. His future vision of the series is probably forever tainted. Plus it's a Nintendo exclusive now.
Knowing Yahtzee, he's probably going to give it shit for being a Wii U exclusive (Without actually knowing that Nintendo is the only reason Bayonetta 2 exists in the first place) at best, and outright ignore it at the worst, like he does with most good Nintendo games that don't fit into his "Nintendo constantly wanks Mario/LoZ" mindset (*Grumble Grumble* Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon X/Y *Grumble Grumble*).

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
The only bad thing about Bayo 2 is its exclusivity. I never want to buy a WiiU so I'll probably never get to play this. sigh

And I'm not mad at Platinum or Nintendo. Nintendo were the only company willing to finance the games production and that is what pisses me off. One of the best character action games of all time gets a sequel and every publisher ever said NOPE. Fucking idiots. People would have BOUGHT PS4s and Ones for this game. I would literally go buy a PS4 right this second if Bayo 2 was out for it.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Toblo1 said:
Evonisia said:
VinLAURiA said:
Knowing Yahtzee, he's probably going to give it shit for being a Wii U exclusive (Without actually knowing that Nintendo is the only reason Bayonetta 2 exists in the first place) at best, and outright ignore it at the worst, like he does with most good Nintendo games that don't fit into his "Nintendo constantly wanks Mario/LoZ" mindset (*Grumble Grumble* Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon X/Y *Grumble Grumble*).
If Yahtzee does review any Nintendo game, use this handy drinking game for it:

-Take a shot if he takes a jab at Nintendo as a whole
-Take a shot if he complains it's a Wii U exclusive
-Take a shot if he mocks the hardware
-Take a shot if he blasts how Nintendo milks their franchises
-Take a shot if he pokes fun at the fans of said game or franchise

You'll be dead by the credits!

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
LazyAza said:
I would literally go buy a PS4 right this second if Bayo 2 was out for it.
You'd buy a PS4 instantly, but never a Wii U. So, you'd sooner spend more money than less for the same game...? What...? If you'd "literally go buy" a console "if Bayo 2 was out for it," just buy a Wii U (which happens to be cheaper)! I don't understand your "logic" one single bit.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
Keiichi Morisato said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

at this point does it need to be anything else? why does it have to be exactly like the PS4 and Xbox One, which by the way are so identical that there is little reason to buy one over the other.
There's at least something like 10 different reasons to buy one over the other. You know the one.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Kinitawowi said:
KazeAizen said:
Four don't cares, I'm afraid. I haven't liked a Mario or Zelda since the SNES days [/lawn], and SSB is a resounding "meh".
.........not quite sure how to respond to this at all.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
GamerKT said:
LazyAza said:
I would literally go buy a PS4 right this second if Bayo 2 was out for it.
You'd buy a PS4 instantly, but never a Wii U. So, you'd sooner spend more money than less for the same game...? What...? If you'd "literally go buy" a console "if Bayo 2 was out for it," just buy a Wii U (which happens to be cheaper)! I don't understand your "logic" one single bit.
Because I actually WANT a ps4 regardless of one particular games presence on it since it will eventually have numerous games released on it I wish to play, but right now I am patiently waiting for said games to be available before I purchase it; Batman AK, Uncharted 4, several other multi plats and so on. I don't buy consoles for single games, I buy them for multiple games.

Bayo2 would simply make me go get a ps4 even sooner since it is the only current gen game I want to play that is out but ironically its been released for the only current gen console I don't want at all even with Bayo2 out on it.

See the "logic" is that the WiiU is a gimmicky, dated, underpowered, poorly designed piece of shit. Whereas the Ps4 is the best console of the current three on the market. I make a decent living from my 3 jobs so money is a non-factor.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Mangue Surfer said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
Everybody. I totally can see Microsoft giving it a pass because is too japanese or Activision because they think chicks are icky, but Sony and Nanco Bandai?!

Well, to be fair, DMC sold poorly because the fans said "We don't like what you did to this character we loved" and the devs (and press for that matter) told them to go fuck themselves. So the fans told them "Fuck you right back."

From what I heard, the game wasn't bad, just the PR was terrible. Bayonetta has never tried to be anything other than itself and that's what fans want.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
It's absolutely okay to like Bayonetta. It's okay to NOT like Bayonetta as well. See how easy that is?
Nonsense, Jim. There is only one side that is valid, and that is my side.

Xman490 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the Bayonetta 1 re-release also has QTEs this fair.
That seems like a poor assumption to make.

kiri2tsubasa said:
One console with a smaller install base.

Significantly, as it was relatively late in the console lifespan last time.

Rellik San said:
Double platinum records rarely have an issue getting sequels. You know, because they are considered a huge ROI. Games cost a lot more and require a much larger sales base. While you mention the average game, and that's great (though I'm curious as to the source and methodology there), there's a reason this game only got made because of an exclusivity deal.

Callate said:
Long and short:

They gave Rock Band 3 one, too. Clearly, they have amazing taste.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Callate said:
Long and short:

According to Wikipedia, they have given out 17 perfect scores and even retrospectively changed some previously scored games (such as Red Dead Redemption) down the line, totalling 23 perfect scores, hardly "doesn't give 10's" not that I am putting the game down or anything, I am looking forward to it.

LazyAza said:
See the "logic" is that the WiiU is a gimmicky, dated, underpowered, poorly designed piece of shit. Whereas the Ps4 is the best console of the current three on the market.
Interestingly, I own both and I regret adopting the PS4 early, I haven't touched the poor thing in months, I would struggle to say the PS4 is the better console (its superior hardware is meaningless if there is nothing on it) I disagree on your assertion that the Wii-U is "shit" for not being as powerful as a PS4/Xbone, but that's your business, though if you really want Bayonetta 2, you could do much worse than getting a Wii-U.

[sub][sub]Like getting a PS4 hur hur[/sub][/sub]

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
VanQ said:
Mangue Surfer said:
Aaron Sylvester said:

Well, to be fair, DMC sold poorly because the fans said "We don't like what you did to this character we loved" and the devs (and press for that matter) told them to go fuck themselves. So the fans told them "Fuck you right back."

From what I heard, the game wasn't bad, just the PR was terrible. Bayonetta has never tried to be anything other than itself and that's what fans want.
I'm pretty sure, the guys with the U$200 ties who take the decisions just read the numbers: 1 out of 10, millions, not enough!

Honestly, these type of pure action games aren't that commercially appealing anymore. Sucks, but is natural, as the budgets go up these games go down.

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
I'm really happy this game is getting such good reviews. But, dammit, I wish it was on more systems. Good on Nintendo for taking a hell of a risk and bankrolling it, but I ain't buying a WiiU just for one game. I hope it sells and sells really well. The world needs more Bayonetta in it.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
VanQ said:
Mangue Surfer said:
Aaron Sylvester said:

Oh no, the game was bad too. There is a huge difference between God of War combat (slow, heavy, focus on impact) and Devil May Cry (fast, fluid, focus on style). RunawayfromDMC forgot that. Making it piss easy was just the added insult.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
LarsInCharge said:

Oh no, the game was bad too. There is a huge difference between God of War combat (slow, heavy, focus on impact) and Devil May Cry (fast, fluid, focus on style). RunawayfromDMC forgot that. Making it piss easy was just the added insult.[/quote]

Are you talking impact like in batman:aa or batman:ac where all the strikes look and feel visceral and devastating? Thats how id prefer it.

Bayonetta put me off with the juvenile aesthetics so ive never tried it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Kinitawowi said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
...Yes, people, I know Edge has, in fact, given other 10s. Even possibly (horrors!) 10s to games you, in your infinitely superior taste, think don't deserve them.

However, they've given, as noted, 23 "10s"- including retroactive awards- in over 20 years of existence. There are publications that give more "perfect" scores in two years than Edge does in any given decade. Where others give 8s, they give 6s, and I value that. With good reason.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Callate said:
Kinitawowi said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
...Yes, people, I know Edge has, in fact, given other 10s. Even possibly (horrors!) 10s to games you, in your infinitely superior taste, think don't deserve them.

However, they've given, as noted, 23 "10s"- including retroactive awards- in over 20 years of existence. There are publications that give more "perfect" scores in two years than Edge does in any given decade. Where others give 8s, they give 6s, and I value that. With good reason.
If it makes you feel better, although why you'd care what some faceless spack on the interwebs thinks, I agree with you. I may be wrong but I think they're the biggest unaffiliated gaming mag. I don't buy gaming mags at all any more because 'HAHA INTERNET, SUCK IT PRINTED WORD!" but if I were to read one, it would be Edge.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Aaron Sylvester said:

I don't want to get into a tech based flame war as I couldn't give a fudge about hardware but, aside from Shadow of Mordor (and even that had a shitty ending), I havn't liked the look of any games on the PS4/XBone yet. Where as the WiiU has Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors and now Bayonetta 2 for me to play so I'm happy with my choice.

I don't like adopting platforms early, especially those without backwards compatibility, for this precise reason, there's nothing to bloody play on it. I've got a bunch of old games for my PS3/XBox360, my WiiU and my 3DS, I really don't need a next gen console.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 will tempt me... maaaaaaybe.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Keiichi Morisato said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

at this point does it need to be anything else? why does it have to be exactly like the PS4 and Xbox One, which by the way are so identical that there is little reason to buy one over the other. at least Nintendo tried to do something different, they put innovation of graphical horse power, and as far as gameplay innovations go, Nintendo is all the better for it. i am not saying the Xbox One or the PS4 are not bad consoles, but they are simply a graphical upgrade, and to me that's incredibly boring.
It doesn't it has it's own market it's own ideas an it's own audience.

I find it embarrassing sometimes how people since the Wii have been righting Ninty off despite it making the most money. (or losing less depending on your POV). Lord knows after playing with the game pad it may be Nintendo's greatest invention to date, the console cost less, the games cost less, it uses less energy, the services cost less. Are they behind in online aspects? Sure but why can't that be improved? Nintendo have a track record of investing in new and old ideas and even when they fail it works out in the end

LazyAza said:
See the "logic" is that the WiiU is a gimmicky, dated, underpowered, poorly designed piece of shit. Whereas the Ps4 is the best console of the current three on the market. I make a decent living from my 3 jobs so money is a non-factor.
It hasn't stopped them being more successful than the competition. an how was this any different from say the 90s when most games where exclusive? If every game console has the same games you may as well just get a pc and be done with it. But i'm not trying to convince you or anything and you attitude on waiting for more games on the PS4 is equal to those waiting for games on the WII-U of both old and new or exclusive.

I'll always be upset that the Wii You has few fighting games though but that's what a PC is for. At present the only reason for me buying a PS4 is Guilty Gear Xrd and i'm buying it for ps4 and 3 because I want something to play when I bother getting a PS4 :p

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Keiichi Morisato said:
I was gonna say, when exactly did console selling points shift from "who has the most unique titles made by their first party studios" to "who has bribed 3rd parties more." And at the end of the day, I really wonder if I'm missing anything of worth by only having a Wii U for the moment. The XB1 and PS4 just don't have anything all that appealing and with 3rd parties constantly struggling to make anything that is unique I'm not exactly pining for them.

The XB1 and PS4 are, to me, the biggest examples of some the worst beliefs that have been born from the industry. Instead of being made with the intent of "we must do everything in our power to cater to consumers" they were made with the intent of "we must do everything in our power to cater to 3rd parties." When you get down to it, it's a stupid idea that should have been killed in the crib. It's why the PS4 and XB1 are so boring and uninnovative; when all you can do is a power boost then you need to go back to design school. Nintendo, when you get down it, is legitimately doing something fun and unique, giving new ideas. Considering how I've got around a dozen titles anyway I got my money's worth.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
marioandsonic said:
Toblo1 said:
Evonisia said:
VinLAURiA said:

-Take a shot if he takes a jab at as a whole
-Take a shot if he complains it's a exclusive
-Take a shot if he blasts how milks their franchises

Thought I would improve your template a bit.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
PunkRex said:
If it makes you feel better, although why you'd care what some faceless spack on the interwebs thinks, I agree with you. I may be wrong but I think they're the biggest unaffiliated gaming mag. I don't buy gaming mags at all any more because 'HAHA INTERNET, SUCK IT PRINTED WORD!" but if I were to read one, it would be Edge.
"As it is, once the power of Doom's graphics has worn off (they're amazing, so give that at least a week or two), you'll be longing for something new in this game. lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting. 7/10"

- Edge, 1994

They have since admitted that they may have got that one wrong...

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
SnakeoilSage said:
Bayonetta doesn't work for me for two big reasons:

The reason Bayonetta gets away with it, as God Hand did, is that it wasn't pretending it wasn't stupid. Final Fantasy will do all those incredibly stupid things in an absolutely dead serious manner.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
bjj hero said:
LarsInCharge said:

Oh no, the game was bad too. There is a huge difference between God of War combat (slow, heavy, focus on impact) and Devil May Cry (fast, fluid, focus on style). RunawayfromDMC forgot that. Making it piss easy was just the added insult.
Are you talking impact like in batman:aa or batman:ac where all the strikes look and feel visceral and devastating? Thats how id prefer it.

Bayonetta put me off with the juvenile aesthetics so ive never tried it.[/quote]

Talking more of in God of War or Darksiders where your attack pauses for a second when you hit your opponent to show a sense of how hard you're hitting them. It's okay, but it breaks flow and makes combat a slog.

And I suggest you overlook the aesthetics. Everything is played for laughs, and Bayonetta herself is easily the strongest female in gaming today since Samus got ripped apart.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
marioandsonic said:

-Take a shot if he takes a jab at Nintendo as a whole
-Take a shot if he complains it's a Wii U exclusive
-Take a shot if he mocks the hardware
-Take a shot if he blasts how Nintendo milks their franchises

You may as well waterfall the whole video, assuming you can last that long :p

OT: I've got Bayo 2 preordered so I can get 1 and 2 even though I don't have a Wii U yet. Plan to get one soon after I've got the XBO..... yeah I need a new desk >.< (PS2/3/4, XB360 and Wii are already on it).

LazyAza said:
Why don't you get all the systems then as I do? I grab the one I prefer/has the most games that interest me most first then get the others are the price goes down in order of preference. That way I can grab whatever game I feel like without worrying about what system it's on.

o_d

Mar 27, 2011
Kinitawowi said:
PunkRex said:
"As it is, once the power of Doom's graphics has worn off (they're amazing, so give that at least a week or two), you'll be longing for something new in this game. lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting. 7/10"

- Edge, 1994

They have since admitted that they may have got that one wrong...
I always think this review is such a great example of the mindset in the mid-nineties, where the possibilities of what games could be seemed so limitless.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

So mindless Nintendo hating is cool now?

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS and Wii U.

I have played precisely 1 good game on the PS4, Infamous Second Son, and I 100% completed it in about a week. It's basically a glorified dust collector right now.

Every time I have picked up a console in the last few months, it's been the Wii U. Pikmin 3, Zelda WW HD, Wonderful 101, Hyrule warriors (fucking amazing), mario kart 8, Sonic lost world, an entire wii back catalog with great games like xenoblade chronicles and pandora tower, monster hunter 3.

And in the near future the Wii U will have SSB, Bayonetta 1&2, Devil's Third, Xenoblade chronicles X, Shin megami tensei x fire emblem, Splatoon (looks amazingly fun), mario maker and the new legend of zelda.

A lot of people also seem to forget that almost every game released on the Wii U is in 1080p at 60fps. There are more 1080p/60fps titles on the Wii U than there are on the PS4 and Xbone combined.

The Wii U is a perfectly respectable home console. The PS4 will come into it's own in a year or so and I don't regret the purchase of any of my consoles, but the Wii U has definitely had the most love in recent times, with the PS3 being close behind.

Nintendo has also sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, MS are in third place at the moment, not Nintendo.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
And the least sold platform at that. I was VERY thrilled that they were making a sequel until I saw it was WIIU exclusive. After that, I couldn't care less. I won't buy a console for one game.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
The reason Bayonetta gets away with it, as God Hand did, is that it wasn't pretending it wasn't stupid. Final Fantasy will do all those incredibly stupid things in an absolutely dead serious manner.
Fair enough, I'll give you that much.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

And what does the Xbone or PS4 have that make it so much better? They are pretty lame consoles at the moment. I can't find a single good reason to buy either at this time. They don't have any interesting games exclusive to the platform.

Frankly, no console comes close to PC. The Wii U has the best games not available on the PC. PS4 and Xbone are not worth buying. The Wii U is the console for the hardcore gamer because a hardcore gamer should already have a PC.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Whatislove said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

So mindless Nintendo hating is cool now?

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS and Wii U.

I have played precisely 1 good game on the PS4, Infamous Second Son, and I 100% completed it in about a week. It's basically a glorified dust collector right now.

Every time I have picked up a console in the last few months, it's been the Wii U. Pikmin 3, Zelda WW HD, Wonderful 101, Hyrule warriors (fucking amazing), mario kart 8, Sonic lost world, an entire wii back catalog with great games like xenoblade chronicles and pandora tower, monster hunter 3.

And in the near future the Wii U will have SSB, Bayonetta 1&2, Devil's Third, Xenoblade chronicles X, Shin megami tensei x fire emblem, Splatoon (looks amazingly fun), mario maker and the new legend of zelda.

A lot of people also seem to forget that almost every game released on the Wii U is in 1080p at 60fps. There are more 1080p/60fps titles on the Wii U than there are on the PS4 and Xbone combined.

The Wii U is a perfectly respectable home console. The PS4 will come into it's own in a year or so and I don't regret the purchase of any of my consoles, but the Wii U has definitely had the most love in recent times, with the PS3 being close behind.

Nintendo has also sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, MS are in third place at the moment, not Nintendo.
"A lot of people also seem to forget that almost every game released on the Wii U is in 1080p at 60fps. There are more 1080p/60fps titles on the Wii U than there are on the PS4 and Xbone combined." - Whatislove

That needs to be said twice, if the Escapist ever allowed sigs, this should be on most of them :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Finally got around to playing this today. SO GOOD!
Everything I wanted from a sequel. Simply fantastic.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Also, it seems like Platinum Games have finally unveiled secret codes in The Wonderful 101 that allow the player access to the hidden characters from the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918517

'Bout freaking time considering some of the requirements needed to get those characters were outright infuriating.