Bayonetta 2 Review - A Witch In Time

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Callate said:
Kinitawowi said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
...Yes, people, I know Edge has, in fact, given other 10s. Even possibly (horrors!) 10s to games you, in your infinitely superior taste, think don't deserve them.

However, they've given, as noted, 23 "10s"- including retroactive awards- in over 20 years of existence. There are publications that give more "perfect" scores in two years than Edge does in any given decade. Where others give 8s, they give 6s, and I value that. With good reason.
If it makes you feel better, although why you'd care what some faceless spack on the interwebs thinks, I agree with you. I may be wrong but I think they're the biggest unaffiliated gaming mag. I don't buy gaming mags at all any more because 'HAHA INTERNET, SUCK IT PRINTED WORD!" but if I were to read one, it would be Edge.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Aaron Sylvester said:
Slow down there buddy, Wii U has a very long way to go in terms of being considered a respectable gaming platform playing on par with XBone/PS4/PC :p

So far Nintendo consoles have been little more than this:
I don't want to get into a tech based flame war as I couldn't give a fudge about hardware but, aside from Shadow of Mordor (and even that had a shitty ending), I havn't liked the look of any games on the PS4/XBone yet. Where as the WiiU has Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors and now Bayonetta 2 for me to play so I'm happy with my choice.

I don't like adopting platforms early, especially those without backwards compatibility, for this precise reason, there's nothing to bloody play on it. I've got a bunch of old games for my PS3/XBox360, my WiiU and my 3DS, I really don't need a next gen console.

Maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 will tempt me... maaaaaaybe.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Keiichi Morisato said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:
There's nothing on the Wii-U they said, get a XBone/PS4 instead they said, NOW WHO'S LAUGHING!? I'LL GIVE YOU A CLUE!!!
Slow down there buddy, Wii U has a very long way to go in terms of being considered a respectable gaming platform playing on par with XBone/PS4/PC :p

at this point does it need to be anything else? why does it have to be exactly like the PS4 and Xbox One, which by the way are so identical that there is little reason to buy one over the other. at least Nintendo tried to do something different, they put innovation of graphical horse power, and as far as gameplay innovations go, Nintendo is all the better for it. i am not saying the Xbox One or the PS4 are not bad consoles, but they are simply a graphical upgrade, and to me that's incredibly boring.
It doesn't it has it's own market it's own ideas an it's own audience.

I find it embarrassing sometimes how people since the Wii have been righting Ninty off despite it making the most money. (or losing less depending on your POV). Lord knows after playing with the game pad it may be Nintendo's greatest invention to date, the console cost less, the games cost less, it uses less energy, the services cost less. Are they behind in online aspects? Sure but why can't that be improved? Nintendo have a track record of investing in new and old ideas and even when they fail it works out in the end

LazyAza said:
See the "logic" is that the WiiU is a gimmicky, dated, underpowered, poorly designed piece of shit. Whereas the Ps4 is the best console of the current three on the market. I make a decent living from my 3 jobs so money is a non-factor.
It hasn't stopped them being more successful than the competition. an how was this any different from say the 90s when most games where exclusive? If every game console has the same games you may as well just get a pc and be done with it. But i'm not trying to convince you or anything and you attitude on waiting for more games on the PS4 is equal to those waiting for games on the WII-U of both old and new or exclusive.

I'll always be upset that the Wii You has few fighting games though but that's what a PC is for. At present the only reason for me buying a PS4 is Guilty Gear Xrd and i'm buying it for ps4 and 3 because I want something to play when I bother getting a PS4 :p

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Keiichi Morisato said:
at this point does it need to be anything else? why does it have to be exactly like the PS4 and Xbox One, which by the way are so identical that there is little reason to buy one over the other. at least Nintendo tried to do something different, they put innovation of graphical horse power, and as far as gameplay innovations go, Nintendo is all the better for it. i am not saying the Xbox One or the PS4 are not bad consoles, but they are simply a graphical upgrade, and to me that's incredibly boring.
I was gonna say, when exactly did console selling points shift from "who has the most unique titles made by their first party studios" to "who has bribed 3rd parties more." And at the end of the day, I really wonder if I'm missing anything of worth by only having a Wii U for the moment. The XB1 and PS4 just don't have anything all that appealing and with 3rd parties constantly struggling to make anything that is unique I'm not exactly pining for them.

The XB1 and PS4 are, to me, the biggest examples of some the worst beliefs that have been born from the industry. Instead of being made with the intent of "we must do everything in our power to cater to consumers" they were made with the intent of "we must do everything in our power to cater to 3rd parties." When you get down to it, it's a stupid idea that should have been killed in the crib. It's why the PS4 and XB1 are so boring and uninnovative; when all you can do is a power boost then you need to go back to design school. Nintendo, when you get down it, is legitimately doing something fun and unique, giving new ideas. Considering how I've got around a dozen titles anyway I got my money's worth.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
marioandsonic said:
Toblo1 said:
Evonisia said:
VinLAURiA said:
Cue furious Yahtzites in 3... 2... 1...
Yahtzee's opinion on Bayonetta may as well be irrelevant seeing as he played the PS3 version anyway. His future vision of the series is probably forever tainted. Plus it's a Nintendo exclusive now.
Knowing Yahtzee, he's probably going to give it shit for being a Wii U exclusive (Without actually knowing that Nintendo is the only reason Bayonetta 2 exists in the first place) at best, and outright ignore it at the worst, like he does with most good Nintendo games that don't fit into his "Nintendo constantly wanks Mario/LoZ" mindset (*Grumble Grumble* Fire Emblem Awakening and Pokemon X/Y *Grumble Grumble*).
If Yahtzee does review any Nintendo game, use this handy drinking game for it:

-Take a shot if he takes a jab at as a whole
-Take a shot if he complains it's a exclusive
-Take a shot if he blasts how milks their franchises
-Take a shot if he pokes fun at the fans of said game or franchise

You'll be dead by the credits!
Thought I would improve your template a bit.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
PunkRex said:
If it makes you feel better, although why you'd care what some faceless spack on the interwebs thinks, I agree with you. I may be wrong but I think they're the biggest unaffiliated gaming mag. I don't buy gaming mags at all any more because 'HAHA INTERNET, SUCK IT PRINTED WORD!" but if I were to read one, it would be Edge.
"As it is, once the power of Doom's graphics has worn off (they're amazing, so give that at least a week or two), you'll be longing for something new in this game. lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting. 7/10"

- Edge, 1994

They have since admitted that they may have got that one wrong...

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
bjj hero said:
LarsInCharge said:
Well, to be fair, DMC sold poorly because the fans said "We don't like what you did to this character we loved" and the devs (and press for that matter) told them to go fuck themselves. So the fans told them "Fuck you right back."

From what I heard, the game wasn't bad, just the PR was terrible. Bayonetta has never tried to be anything other than itself and that's what fans want.
Oh no, the game was bad too. There is a huge difference between God of War combat (slow, heavy, focus on impact) and Devil May Cry (fast, fluid, focus on style). RunawayfromDMC forgot that. Making it piss easy was just the added insult.
Are you talking impact like in batman:aa or batman:ac where all the strikes look and feel visceral and devastating? Thats how id prefer it.

Bayonetta put me off with the juvenile aesthetics so ive never tried it.[/quote]

Talking more of in God of War or Darksiders where your attack pauses for a second when you hit your opponent to show a sense of how hard you're hitting them. It's okay, but it breaks flow and makes combat a slog.

And I suggest you overlook the aesthetics. Everything is played for laughs, and Bayonetta herself is easily the strongest female in gaming today since Samus got ripped apart.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
marioandsonic said:
If Yahtzee does review any Nintendo game, use this handy drinking game for it:

-Take a shot if he takes a jab at Nintendo as a whole
-Take a shot if he complains it's a Wii U exclusive
-Take a shot if he mocks the hardware
-Take a shot if he blasts how Nintendo milks their franchises
-Take a shot if he pokes fun at the fans of said game or franchise

You'll be dead by the credits!
You may as well waterfall the whole video, assuming you can last that long :p

OT: I've got Bayo 2 preordered so I can get 1 and 2 even though I don't have a Wii U yet. Plan to get one soon after I've got the XBO..... yeah I need a new desk >.< (PS2/3/4, XB360 and Wii are already on it).

LazyAza said:
See the "logic" is that the WiiU is a gimmicky, dated, underpowered, poorly designed piece of shit. Whereas the Ps4 is the best console of the current three on the market. I make a decent living from my 3 jobs so money is a non-factor.
Why don't you get all the systems then as I do? I grab the one I prefer/has the most games that interest me most first then get the others are the price goes down in order of preference. That way I can grab whatever game I feel like without worrying about what system it's on.

o_d

Mar 27, 2011
Kinitawowi said:
PunkRex said:
"As it is, once the power of Doom's graphics has worn off (they're amazing, so give that at least a week or two), you'll be longing for something new in this game. lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting. 7/10"

- Edge, 1994

They have since admitted that they may have got that one wrong...
I always think this review is such a great example of the mindset in the mid-nineties, where the possibilities of what games could be seemed so limitless.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:
There's nothing on the Wii-U they said, get a XBone/PS4 instead they said, NOW WHO'S LAUGHING!? I'LL GIVE YOU A CLUE!!!

So mindless Nintendo hating is cool now?

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS and Wii U.

I have played precisely 1 good game on the PS4, Infamous Second Son, and I 100% completed it in about a week. It's basically a glorified dust collector right now.

Every time I have picked up a console in the last few months, it's been the Wii U. Pikmin 3, Zelda WW HD, Wonderful 101, Hyrule warriors (fucking amazing), mario kart 8, Sonic lost world, an entire wii back catalog with great games like xenoblade chronicles and pandora tower, monster hunter 3.

And in the near future the Wii U will have SSB, Bayonetta 1&2, Devil's Third, Xenoblade chronicles X, Shin megami tensei x fire emblem, Splatoon (looks amazingly fun), mario maker and the new legend of zelda.

A lot of people also seem to forget that almost every game released on the Wii U is in 1080p at 60fps. There are more 1080p/60fps titles on the Wii U than there are on the PS4 and Xbone combined.

The Wii U is a perfectly respectable home console. The PS4 will come into it's own in a year or so and I don't regret the purchase of any of my consoles, but the Wii U has definitely had the most love in recent times, with the PS3 being close behind.

Nintendo has also sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, MS are in third place at the moment, not Nintendo.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
Ok, lets check back in in a month or 2 and see what the sales are going to be like. Considering the first only sold about 2 million units world wide, I can see it being less since it is only on 1 console this time.
And the least sold platform at that. I was VERY thrilled that they were making a sequel until I saw it was WIIU exclusive. After that, I couldn't care less. I won't buy a console for one game.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
The reason Bayonetta gets away with it, as God Hand did, is that it wasn't pretending it wasn't stupid. Final Fantasy will do all those incredibly stupid things in an absolutely dead serious manner.
Fair enough, I'll give you that much.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

And what does the Xbone or PS4 have that make it so much better? They are pretty lame consoles at the moment. I can't find a single good reason to buy either at this time. They don't have any interesting games exclusive to the platform.

Frankly, no console comes close to PC. The Wii U has the best games not available on the PC. PS4 and Xbone are not worth buying. The Wii U is the console for the hardcore gamer because a hardcore gamer should already have a PC.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Whatislove said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
PunkRex said:

So mindless Nintendo hating is cool now?

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, PS4, PS Vita, 3DS and Wii U.

I have played precisely 1 good game on the PS4, Infamous Second Son, and I 100% completed it in about a week. It's basically a glorified dust collector right now.

Every time I have picked up a console in the last few months, it's been the Wii U. Pikmin 3, Zelda WW HD, Wonderful 101, Hyrule warriors (fucking amazing), mario kart 8, Sonic lost world, an entire wii back catalog with great games like xenoblade chronicles and pandora tower, monster hunter 3.

And in the near future the Wii U will have SSB, Bayonetta 1&2, Devil's Third, Xenoblade chronicles X, Shin megami tensei x fire emblem, Splatoon (looks amazingly fun), mario maker and the new legend of zelda.

A lot of people also seem to forget that almost every game released on the Wii U is in 1080p at 60fps. There are more 1080p/60fps titles on the Wii U than there are on the PS4 and Xbone combined.

The Wii U is a perfectly respectable home console. The PS4 will come into it's own in a year or so and I don't regret the purchase of any of my consoles, but the Wii U has definitely had the most love in recent times, with the PS3 being close behind.

Nintendo has also sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, MS are in third place at the moment, not Nintendo.
"A lot of people also seem to forget that almost every game released on the Wii U is in 1080p at 60fps. There are more 1080p/60fps titles on the Wii U than there are on the PS4 and Xbone combined." - Whatislove

That needs to be said twice, if the Escapist ever allowed sigs, this should be on most of them :p

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Finally got around to playing this today. SO GOOD!
Everything I wanted from a sequel. Simply fantastic.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Also, it seems like Platinum Games have finally unveiled secret codes in The Wonderful 101 that allow the player access to the hidden characters from the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=918517

'Bout freaking time considering some of the requirements needed to get those characters were outright infuriating.