Bayonetta 3 Thread

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guarantee a lot of bigger names than Hellena Taylor have made much more money for fewer work hours.
And what's the bigger sleight here, wanting a decent paycheck for voicing a character you've been exclusively playing for 13 years or being offered a measly $4000 to do it, just so you'll scram and somebody else will get the decent paycheck?
Well, it sounds like she was offered $3k to $4k a 4 hour session and there were expected to be 5 such sessions so she would have been making $15k at minimum. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but at least $15k for a weeks worth of work is pretty good. Plus, if she was just calling it out that would be one thing, but trying to do a boycott over it, that seems kinda sus. She isn't a permanent employee, this would be a contract gig, not liking the contract you are offered and trying to ruin the company because of it is kinda a dick move.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I knew something was off when she was replaced for pay issues and money then they get Jennifer Hale who definitely has a bigger asking price. Now something go lost in translation but overall no matter how muddied this is at least people have some idea about the fuck shit VA's go through and the slick shit companies will use to avoid unions.

But one thing I hope that everyone takes from this is that Kamiya is just an assclown. Not quirky, or based or just a meme the dude is a pure assclown and if he didn't have a man baby meltdown maybe this would not of made Platinum look extra suspect before the investigation. Man saw a fire and decided to fight it with a flamethrower.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thank you, Platinum (sincerity mode). Now would you mine giving Helena Taylor the same curtesy? To shut up the false fans, flip-floppers, and bandwagon jumpers that constantly switch sides in nano second, because they can't commit to any actual ideals and only want to look good nor stupid/foolish/wrong.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Anyone who's attacking Hale in this situation is a moron.
But you have to understand. Shes a scab, shes working for a corperation who are always bad and in the wrong and taking money from the original va who owns the character and that makes her worse then hitler. >.>

Thank you, Platinum (sincerity mode). Now would you mine giving Helena Taylor the same curtesy? To shut up the false fans, flip-floppers, and bandwagon jumpers that constantly switch sides in nano second, because they can't commit to any actual ideals and only want to look good nor stupid/foolish/wrong.
What did they do to Taylor besides not offer her as much money as she wanted? She was still getting a pretty good payday for the amount of work wanted. Shes the one going out there pretending she is owed the golden goose.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What did they do to Taylor besides not offer her as much money as she wanted? She was still getting a pretty good payday for the amount of work wanted. Shes the one going out there pretending she is owed the golden goose.
Right now I'm getting the he says and she says bull crap. It's still would have been a nice gesture. It doesn't help that we're still getting people who don't care brightest eyes and just switch on a dime, so I'm not having it true that's all I'm going to say on the matter, because I just want the game at this point and focus on that. I'll let the dust settle later. I'm not in the mood for any more of these YouTube antics and these "experts" don't know what they're talking about 90% of th the time.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Right now I'm getting the he says and she says bull crap. It's still would have been a nice gesture. It doesn't help that we're still getting people who don't care brightest eyes and just switch on a dime, so I'm not having it true that's all I'm going to say on the matter, because I just want the game at this point and focus on that. I'll let the dust settle later. I'm not in the mood for any more of these YouTube antics and these "experts" don't know what they're talking about 90% of th the time.
I... what? Anyway, I would have more sympathy for Taylor if she was just like "I didn't get offered what I want so that's why I didn't take the VA role" but she didn't do that. She tried to drop a nuke and try to do as much damage as she could at the expense of everyone else working on the game.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I... what? Anyway, I would have more sympathy for Taylor if she was just like "I didn't get offered what I want so that's why I didn't take the VA role" but she didn't do that. She tried to drop a nuke and try to do as much damage as she could at the expense of everyone else working on the game.
That still doesn't help issue of a lot of voice actors getting underpaid or being dropped to be disposed of so easily. Nor getting residuals for properties or games that sell exceeding well or good. We only have Platinum & Nintendo's word on this. So far, all I've been hearing is half truths and omission of information from different sides. Believe whatever the hell you want. I don't care.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
They did. They asked people to "refrain from any further comments that would disrespect Jennifer or any of the other contributors to the series." Helena Taylor is a contributor to the series since she voice acted in the first two titles.

Mentioning her by name would mean putting eyeballs on an ex-employee that they are currently in conflict with; they'd would probably rather have people not knowing about the dispute.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
any of the other contributors to the series."
Then they're big enough to say her name.

Mentioning her by name would mean putting eyeballs on an ex-employee that they are currently in conflict with; they'd would probably rather have people not knowing about the dispute.
Too bad, a lot of people already know now. So it literally changes nothing. Everybody's looking again.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Then they're big enough to say her name.
Advertising an ex-employee that broke an NDA she signed with them and is currently badmouthing them on their public relations account? Doing so would be noble, but beyond what I consider reasonable.
Too bad, a lot of people already know now. So it literally changes nothing. Everybody's looking again.
Yes, lots of people know. Lots of people also do not know. Pointing to Helena Taylor changes members of the second group into members of the former. So it literally changes something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Advertising an ex-employee that broke an NDA she signed with them and is currently badmouthing them on their public relations account? Doing so would be noble, but beyond what I consider reasonable.
Understandable, but they could do it if they choose to. Then again, their boss's boss is Nintendo. So nothing is done without their say so. This is why Platinum wants to become an independent publisher. But the president of the company needs to get his head out of his ass and stop trying jump on the super late bandwagon of live "services".

As much as I like Platinum, they're not immune criticism either. Not saying you're implying or stating that. Once again, this is a problem that systematic and industry-wide.

Yes, lots of people know. Lots of people also do not know. Pointing to Helena Taylor changes members of the second group into members of the former. So it literally changes something
Which leads to more people knowing at some point or being aware of it. Things spread around. What goes around comes around. Which leads back to what they're doing not meaning much or doing very little. Or doing something, but not the direction they intended.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That still doesn't help issue of a lot of voice actors getting underpaid or being dropped to be disposed of so easily. Nor getting residuals for properties or games that sell exceeding well or good. We only have Platinum & Nintendo's word on this. So far, all I've been hearing is half truths and omission of information from different sides. Believe whatever the hell you want. I don't care.
I mean VA's being underpaid is a thing, but at the same time, how much should someone be paid? It sounds like even for something big like Bayonetta 3, it was still only a weeks worth of work, is that worth 100k? Should she be trying to torpedo the whole thing because she wasn't getting as much as she wanted? Sure she has an iconic voice, but this isn't her character, this is someone else's character that she sold her voice to, she's not being contractually obligated to do it again, she's throwing a tantrum about not getting a huge sum of money.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean VA's being underpaid is a thing, but at the same time, how much should someone be paid?
And that's the problem right there. Residuals exist for a successful movie, TV show, or album. The same can apply to video games. Video games have gotten so big. They have been for over a decade now and are nowhere near close to a niche hobby. The problem with these publishers and developers, is that they still act like it's the PS1 and PS2 days. You can no longer make that excuse when you're boasting all that graphical power and making all that money through not only the games, but with crappy and exploitative micro transactions and DLCs. It's the same crap that Nico Bellic's voice actor went through. Yeah he got paid more by comparison to Taylor, but he and financial analysis had a big freaking point. IF GTAIV had been a movie or TV show, he would have gotten paid way more and gotten residuals. So even if she's being spoiled or broke NDA, she still has a point and it just brings another big spotlight on this industry-wide problem, those at the top don't want to act like it exists. So excuse me for not having much sympathy for Nintendo or Platinum right now. More so Nintendo.

Then you got people who are actors, but not good voice actors or don't know voice direction, yeah get top dollar for putting in either a mediocre or crappy performance. That is not right.

Even today, voice acting is underappreciated or you got people who don't know crap about what it takes to get there call it "not a real talent" or "it's not really acting! "You're just sitting in front of a microphone all day! It's easy; I can do it!". Said by every no nothing dumbass ever and want to be expert. My word is pretty much final on this. I'm tired of this back and forth, and rather move on to something else and just wait until the game comes out so I can play it and discuss it. If you feel I think differently, that's your prerogative. I have a difference of opinion.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
And that's the problem right there. Residuals exist for a successful movie, TV show, or album. The same can apply to video games. Video games have gotten so big. They have been for over a decade now and are nowhere near close to a niche hobby. The problem with these publishers and developers, is that they still act like it's the PS1 and PS2 days. You can no longer make that excuse when you're boasting all that graphical power and making all that money through not only the games, but with crappy and exploitative micro transactions and DLCs. It's the same crap that Nico Bellic's voice actor went through. Yeah he got paid more by comparison to Taylor, but he and financial analysis had a big freaking point. IF GTAIV had been a movie or TV show, he would have gotten paid way more and gotten residuals. So even if she's being spoiled or broke NDA, she still has a point and it just brings another big spotlight on this industry-wide problem, those at the top don't want to act like it exists. So excuse me for not having much sympathy for Nintendo or Platinum right now. More so Nintendo.

Then you got people who are actors, but not good voice actors or don't know voice direction, yeah get top dollar for putting in either a mediocre or crappy performance. That is not right.

Even today, voice acting is underappreciated or you got people who don't know crap about what it takes to get there call it "not a real talent" or "it's not really acting! "You're just sitting in front of a microphone all day! It's easy; I can do it!". Said by every no nothing dumbass ever and want to be expert. My word is pretty much final on this. I'm tired of this back and forth, and rather move on to something else and just wait until the game comes out so I can play it and discuss it. If you feel I think differently, that's your prerogative. I have a difference of opinion.
The problem here is that we are having two different conversations. You are talking about VA in games in general, I'm talking more about this specific instance. Sure there are issues with payment, but there are always issues with payment and people being underpaid or overpaid. The GTA4 thing was different since it was for roughly 15 months of work, it sounds like for Taylor, they were expecting about a week in the booth. That isn't even mentioning her trying to take down the company instead of just complaining about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The problem here is that we are having two different conversations. You are talking about VA in games in general, I'm talking more about this specific instance. Sure there are issues with payment, but there are always issues with payment and people being underpaid or overpaid. The GTA4 thing was different since it was for roughly 15 months of work, it sounds like for Taylor, they were expecting about a week in the booth. That isn't even mentioning her trying to take down the company instead of just complaining about it.
It's not that different. Not everything is the equivalent, but it's still an issue she and the other guy raised. Sounds like she was more complaining, then trying to take down the company. Yes, she broke NDA again, but her telling people to boycott the game is not going to do much either way. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

For the last time, I'm done talking about this right now. If you have any other disagreements, I don't care at the moment. I got a lot going on right now, and I'm sick and tired of talking about this. At this point, I just want to play the game and move the hell on. Any other news, I'll find out myself at a later time.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Yeah, unless someone wants to take the fall to break NDA and reveal the contract, I don't see this getting resolved anytime soon.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I mean VA's being underpaid is a thing, but at the same time, how much should someone be paid? It sounds like even for something big like Bayonetta 3, it was still only a weeks worth of work, is that worth 100k? Should she be trying to torpedo the whole thing because she wasn't getting as much as she wanted? Sure she has an iconic voice, but this isn't her character, this is someone else's character that she sold her voice to, she's not being contractually obligated to do it again, she's throwing a tantrum about not getting a huge sum of money.
15k is pittance, really.

It's a bit misleading to boil it down to a per-hour wage, because that's not how gig work like acting functions. A per-hour wage is only a good benchmark when we're talking about continuous, reliable hours. But a gig worker like a VA will get 15k for one job, then might not have another VA engagement for months.

It should bear some relation to the income of the product. Bayonetta 3 will make many millions. Someone making a major contribution (and VA's do) should be paid proportionally to that. Besides, its not just those hours in the booth they're paying for-- it's the years of training.