Beamdog Boss Reveals More About Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
antipunt said:
Oooo. Now I'm getting all excited. Yeah always wondered what the fuss was all about, if the revamp is legit, I'll finally get to find out
Dude, listen to this, about 18 secs in it gets ear-gasmic. Not that music is the only good thing about it but it sets a great tone:

http://youtu.be/i38_6oNPE24

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Azmael Silverlance said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
Surely they must release this with Steam! Just think how long it will stay as a best-seller and attract even more people :D
Exactly, if they release it on Steam, I will buy it, and I never played BG 1 or 2.
Yeah me too. I played erm tried Baldurs Gate one . . .but it felt extreamly outdated and then i remember i was in this big ass town and i went to a tavern and after a fight inside i lost 1 of my support characters so i got pissed and i never loaded the game again. And that was many many years ago. But a enchanced edition with better graphics and new content is a sure try for me not to mention it will properly work on new PCs now. I remember buying the top-down RPG Robin Hood which is an amazing game and it doesnt work on new generation PCs. So these re-doings of old classics are welcomed with open arms by me :)

80Maxwell08 said:
To all of you it's not coming to steam since Beamdog is a Digital Distribution Service as well as the people working on the enhanced editions. Just like Valve only releases their games on Steam since they own it.
Valve was doing it from the start though weren't they from forcing Half Life 2 to only work with steam. Though someone corrected me with Valve games also being on origin so I'm wrong about that example anyway so who knows now.
Valve and Blizzard release their own games on their own platforms because they are THAT good and can afford to do it. Blizz has the money from WoW and Steam is a dominant market for digital sales so it doesnt make sense for Valve to seek new distribution when they own the distribution :D If steam was sharing the market with 2 others and had almost equal share of it you can bet Valve would release their games on other services too.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Fasckira said:
antipunt said:
Oooo. Now I'm getting all excited. Yeah always wondered what the fuss was all about, if the revamp is legit, I'll finally get to find out
Dude, listen to this, about 18 secs in it gets ear-gasmic. Not that music is the only good thing about it but it sets a great tone:

http://youtu.be/i38_6oNPE24
Neato,

I played Planescape Torment and loved it to death b/c of its story. If this is anything like that I'm gonna have a braingasm

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Zeel said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Still my beating heart. I'm really excitied for this game. I like everything I'm hearing so far and i'm sure i'll piss away hours of my summer playing (again)

Go forward beamdog!

@Crimson_Dragoon Yeah thac0 was confusing as shit.
It's not that bad. THAC0 - AC = Target Number. The only thing that throws people off is that people are used to higher numbers being better, where in the THAC0 system both THAC0 and AC get lower as you improve.

Example: A character has a 17 THAC0. His target has a 5 AC(maybe wearing mail armor). The character needs a result of 12 or higher on a roll of d20, adjusted by any bonuses and penalties.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Keeping it 2e seems like a bad move to me. It makes characters that are melee oriented less interesting to play. I'd have preferred 3.5e.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Crimson_Dragoon said:
2nd edition? That means THACO is back? Nooooooooo!!
But THAC0 is easy! As long as You do not mistake it with tacos...

Actually, should probably tell the guys at Beamdog to add a mouse-over tooltip saying "To Hit Armor Class 0"

I actually can't wait for new stream of forum posts saying "WTF my game bugged, i put plate armor+3 and my armor class went down to negative!! Fix ur gaem!".
Ah, glorious AD&D ruleset, how we miss the confusions You brought to many people.

Also, captcha is getting clingy, it says "hug me" so hug your THAC0

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
To all of you it's not coming to steam since Beamdog is a Digital Distribution Service as well as the people working on the enhanced editions. Just like Valve only releases their games on Steam since they own it.
Well that's a bummer, I was looking forward to paying them money.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Well I checked their twitter and people were right they have mentioned considering a steam release. Though if you seriously won't get this just because it's not on steam really? Also thanks for reminding me to edit my post

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
New characters? But I already have a party consisting of myself as a Wild Mage, Imoen, Minsc, Edwin, Kagain and that one Drow cleric. There's simply no better party than this, so why bother including more?

gombie

Mar 16, 2012
please dont use the ad&D rules, as much as i loved BG2 when i was young, i didnt understand the ruleset at all! and its still confusing as hell! i hope they modernise the combat so theres no dice involved. please.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
gombie said:
please dont use the ad&D rules, as much as i loved BG2 when i was young, i didnt understand the ruleset at all! and its still confusing as hell! i hope they modernise the combat so theres no dice involved. please.
I, on the other hand, hope that they tweak it to more accurately implement the AD&D rules(minus the unarmed combat and grapple rules... seriously, fuck that). The Infinity Engine was always a bit of a hack job, rules wise, and if we're tweaking things anyway, I wouldn't mind that being touched upon. A game as rules accurate as ToEE(but for 2E) with Baldur's Gate's story and characters... that would be nice.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Aww, I was hoping this was going to be an announcement that they were making Baldur's Gate 3.

Oct 30, 2010
Oh boy. Can't wait to save vs. breath weapons and wands again...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Well I checked their twitter and people were right they have mentioned considering a steam release. Though if you seriously won't get this just because it's not on steam really? Also thanks for reminding me to edit my post
I just like to have all my games in one place is all, if I want to switch games, I shouldn't have to close down one programme and open up and log into another. And having both open at once uses too much memory.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
80Maxwell08 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
80Maxwell08 said:
I just like to have all my games in one place is all, if I want to switch games, I shouldn't have to close down one programme and open up and log into another. And having both open at once uses too much memory.
I remember when that one program you needed open to access a game was your operating system. Oh fond days of my youth long past....