Become an Extreme Sergeant to the Max in Duty Calls

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
chemicalreaper said:
Rusty Bucket said:
Is this what they spent their time on instead of a PC demo?
I was thinking a similar thing: that's great that their developers spent their time making Duty Calls, but they could have spent that time polishing up the real game, y'know, the one that's actually going to be reviewed and sold?
It doesn't matter how good a game is if nobody buys it. This ad campaign will grab a lot of people that a new game like Bulletstorm wouldn't normally attract. Besides, the marketing people don't have anything to do with the actual designers, so it's not like their wasting resources somehow.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Too bad Bulletstorm is boring too. At least it doesn't take itself too seriously, but from what I got from the demo, the whole game is gonna be

1: Use gravity whip thing and/or destructive scenary.
2: Shoot/kick into terrain
3: ????
4: Profit Gimmick wears off quickly
Huh? There are craploads of combinations you can make, I personally barely used the super-whip-thing in the demo.

It ain't a gimmick either as a gimmick assumes it ultimately doesn't matter to the game, a special feature for the sake of having a special feature. That ain't the case with the combo system in Bulletstorm.

Still, it won't be as good as Duty Calls. *waves American flag*

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
PeePantz said:
This game looks more like one of those "Not Another Teen Movie" or "Superhero Movie."
I had this exact thought while watching that video. They even did the same exact technique of just having a character pop up and announce what trope is supposed to be represented, as if somehow just saying it is supposed to be witty and clever (it isn't), and the ranks were just annoying. A good parody would have just taken a normal shooter, and then put it into a context that makes it ridiculous, such as, I don't know...Duke Nukem? At least those games tried to be funny. If this is what the Bulletstorm team is passing as humor, then I can go right back to not caring about this game.

Sadly, this was the only thing to pique my curiosity about it, as just from the title I thought "generic FPS." Now, it's "generic FPS that thinks it's a satire of generic FPSs."

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
-Drifter- said:
DannibalG36 said:
-Drifter- said:
I saw a video of this earlier today, but I didn't know it was an actual game. Downloading it now.

Bulletstorm, though... As nice as it is to see a shooter break off from the brown, "realistic" military theme, Bulletstorm just doesn't seem very good, and virtually every aspect of it seems geared towards the douchebag demographic.
Ehhh... That's like saying that Duke Nukem is geared towards the douche demographic. Both games are distinguished by being ridiculously over-the-top in every conceivable way: awesome kill moves, profuse profanity, and maybe even juvenile-fantasy-style sex. These games are like mind-candy to contrast with more thoughtful productions, such as Bioshock or Civilization 5.
Duke Nukem is your typical bad-ass action hero. He says funny one liners, he has lots of sex and he shoots aliens. The main character of Bulletstorm spends the majority of his time being extremely annoying and shouting the kind of insults you'd expect from a twelve year old.
Annoying to you, maybe. Don't buy the game, then. I, on the other hand, can appreciate some RIDICULOUSLY excessive language and violence.

Also, the game is fun (unlike Splatterhouse, which was an abomination).

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
I dunno, it just seemed kind of petty to me and lacked any kind of real subtlety. It felt rather more like someone going '"Blah nyah nyah bah, whine whine whine" Thats how you sound' than real commedy.

I am also not entirely sure how excited I could be about a game that defines itself, not on its own merits, but on how superior it thinks itself compared to the competition, it seems that this sort of tactic will do more to alienate people who enjoy military shooters then to draw them in.

I mean, if I ran a restaurant, I'd like to think that my advertising campaign would be more than 'Tom's Pizza tastes like crap, eat at Deans.'

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahahaha that was just too great

they need to release it on consoles with cheevos

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Get_A_Grip_ said:
It won't run on my computer.
I'm actually quite sad now.
The video show absolute everything in that game. The enemies never even fire at you except for the second enemy and the paratrooper (which is scripted).
Hope that's comforting.

BTW, what are your specs? I wanted to install it on a netbook to show someone and would like to know if there would be a point to it.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Is there like a marketting award Emmies or something? Cause the guys at Bulletstorm have deserved something about 10 times over. The fact they've done it using the crudest forms of humour (that most of us are tired of and that need proper wit to execute properly) is an even bigger plus. Honestly. Hand these guys something for their awesome effort, regardless of how the game itself turns out.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
This does seem a little childish and mean spirited, as did the halo 3 diorama spoof. Though I never bought the game, I loved Bad Companies spoof of MGS and the 'madworld' gears ad, done with much better humour and wit.

Speaking of which, whens the bulletstorm ad ripping on Gears and cover based shooters?

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
I downloaded the game, and I have to say, it's better than most FPS's I've played this year. :p
chemicalreaper said:
Samus Aaron said:
Besides, the marketing people don't have anything to do with the actual designers, so it's not like their wasting resources somehow.
I'm sorry, I forgot that the marketing team had secretly taken lessons to code, animate, compose background music, and record voice overs.
It's okay, I forgive you.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
-Drifter- said:
...virtually every aspect of it seems geared towards the douchebag demographic.
I respectfully disagree.
I think the crucial difference lies in the fact that this game doesn't take itself seriously.

Look at Gears of War, for instance. That's a series aimed solely for your douchebag demographic, because it takes itself at face value and never really lets on that the whole story is a macho power-fantasy farce.
It's not supposed to be 'fun', it's meant to be gritty and badass. The kind of people who are obsessed with CoD and GoW are usually the ones who memorize the names of guns and spend the small hours of the morning looking up pictures of knives in their mother's attic.