BEST AI in a game

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
iggyus said:
Enemies were pretty fucked up in F.E.A.R. They always flanked, tried to get behind you, threw grenades and used some brutal team tactics. It was impressive.
Remember they also kicked down objects to use them for cover.

That said, FEAR or UT is most likely it.

Unless this thread counts fan-made AI mods, in which case there's this one Starcraft AI mod that was downright impressive - played almost like a real person. Can't recall the name of it though.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Oblivion.

*beat*

<color=White>Just kidding.
Ninja'd.

To answer honestly, the FEAR A.I. is pretty impressive, as is the Nazi AI in Brothers In Arms on the hardest difficulty. Those suckers are all tactical geniuses.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
jeretik said:
- Half-Life 1
- FEAR 1 (didn't play 2 yet)
- Rise Of Nations & Rise Of Legends
- Total War
- Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament series, Quake 3
- Halo 1

So... The best is in FEAR 1, probably.
Rise of Nations AI was annoying as hell in battles against the hardest enemy. They were on you in like 3 seconds.

Dealin Burgers

Feb 21, 2008
Good AI don't track you through walls, good AI can be tricked into thinking you've gone or are dead, Good AI will run away when they realise you just tore through 20 of their friends, and they are all that is left.

A good AI isn't one that kills you everytime, it's one that plays on a level playing field.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
CoD WaW, because the enemy knows the key to victory is your death and your death only, and will risk life and limb to run past your allies.

/sarcasm

As for smart AI; well, it's hard to say since a smart AI enemy would always kill me, and I only quit games when the enemy gets an unhonest advantage, not intellegence. Friendly AI, i'm still not sure. Most of the time, the "smart" allies are really just invincible.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm going to say FEAR 1. FEAR 2's AI seems to be worse. Not BAD, just doesn't do as many cool things as the firsts did.

Jul 9, 2008
iggyus said:
Enemies were pretty fucked up in F.E.A.R. They always flanked, tried to get behind you, threw grenades and used some brutal team tactics. It was impressive.
Quite true, I still hold FEAR up as the gold standard for a game's AI. Strange that I haven't seen it surpassed yet, even by it's own sequel (although that sequel fucked so much up that I suppose it isn't a surprise).

darkcow55

Mar 23, 2009
Portal's turret AI was the most realistic example of stationary, talking security devices I've ever witnessed in a game.