Best and worst gun feel

Sean Kay

Jul 4, 2011
Best: The M60 in Battlefield 3. That glorious chatta-chatta-chatta as you open up is the stuff of dreams (or nightmares depending on which end you're on)
Worst: The Sta-11 SMG from Killzone 2, so inaccurate you had to physically plant the thing in the enemy's mouth to reliably hit them

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
favourite specific is probably the stake/tree gun from painkiller. followed by the majority of weapons from bulletstorm, especially the flail mine, drill and shotgun. actually, most guns from that game were fucking awesome

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Guns need to feel suitably meaty. I remember Halo CE's Sniper Rifle (and OP pistol) feeling incredibly powerful, but I think more recent examples would definitely inlude Bioshock: Infinite and Dead Space 2. Some of the DMC series were good in that respect too. There are fewer feelings of badassery greater than when you literally propel a demon into the air through sheer numbers of bullets fired into it.

As for poor examples? Any game where shooting a person gets no reaction whatsoever until that last bullet kills them... urgh. Too many to list, really.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I really enjoyed the sniper rifles in BFBC2. Really felt as if you were shooting something that'll punch through everything.

Also, the automatic rifle from AVP2 is pretty awesome. That fire rate and sound are just meant for farming down those dirty xenomorphs!

The M60 from CODBO1 comes to mind, as well. Every bullet felt heavy as hell. Very pleasant indeed!

Half-life 2 weapons felt mostly very awesome, as well. Especially that shotgun. And the Magnum, just wrecked everything. And the crossbow, as well. Lovely stuff.

Also, a lot of the guns in Call of Duty 2. Especially that one bolt-action rifle that i always ended up using in the Russian campaign.

But the worst.... well, most of the weapons in Fallout 3 didn't feel very great (does anyone know if the weapons feel mostly better, or the same, in New Vegas?).

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
MajorTomServo said:
Worst has to go to either Fallout 3/NV or Borderlands.
Really? Borderlands 2 had the crazy pistols and shotguns, and Fallout had the Gauss Rifle, Antimat rifle and shotguns. All opinions I guess though.
I judge a gun by its sound. It's the reason I don't like the feel of Blops2, the guns all made a 'pop' rather than the 'bang of Blops1.
OT: GTA4. The automatic guns all sounded the same, and they all made a kind of grating sound.

rium125

Nov 30, 2009
Best: the Lever-action from Killing Floor, the magnum, crossbow and pulse rifle in Half life 1/2 and the phaeston, matock, and carnifex of ME 2/3.

Worst: near-enough every weapon in Gears of War, Far Cry 2, and battlefield, and the pulse rife in dead space 1, a more 'pew pew' weapon you would be hard pushed to find.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Though I can't say the same across the whole game, I always loved the SPAS 12 in Modern Warfare 2. A friend and I concluded "You could put a silencer on it, but then you couldn't make cats crap themselves from merely hearing the thing go off".

For worst, I'd probably have to put another vote in for Fallout 3. I liked the game, but there was a reason I always took the chance to use melee weapons whenever possible.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
best:crossbow from Bioshock damn that felt good but then I am a massive crossbow fan boy.

Worst: the Tf2 Mini sentry quick to build and move but shoots peas and Is made of paper.

meh sue me actually please don't sue me I have no money.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
romanator0 said:
I'm partial to the revolvers and shotguns in the original Borderlands myself. They sounds pretty satisfying and it's always nice to shoot a bandit in the head and watch gibs go flying.
Especially the Masher-type Unforgiven revolver. That was fun sending corpses flying across continents with that thing. Me and my brother never got tired of that weapon. So many fun times!

Captcha: I'm sorry Dave

I'm not, Captcha. >:)

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Probably the desert eagle from Uncharted. Swinging out of cover with that bad boy to send the nearest oncoming pirate onto his back with a thunderous crack is almost sexual.

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
The Widow from ME2 is probably my favorite. Pretty much as soon as you can get to it, you can OHKO with headshots. Add in Inferno Ammo, and everything dies. Best part is the FWEENG sound as a successful headshot lands. Gives me Fist of the Heavens fuzzies.

Binary Rifle is either a tie or a close second, though--love the CRACK it makes, and the sight of a corpse disintegrating from the neck down.

Worst gun? Covenant Carbine, hands down, all of its incarnations. pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewjesuschristwhyaren'tyourshieldsdownpewpewpewp--fuck I died.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
The best is surely Resident Evil 4. Everything but the TMP looks and sounds like it freaking hurts.

The worst I can think of at the moment is Fallout 3/NV. I'm sorry guys, I love you so much and you're two of my favorites from this generation, but no one reacts to getting shot and you sound like childrens' toys.

I know there are very bad games with worse feeling guns, like I bet Shellshock 2: Blood Trails has awful feeling weapons, but I haven't played that in years, and I only did so for maybe half an hour, so I can't recall.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Mint Rubber said:
Worst: The Bolter (and all the other weapons) from Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior. Let's just say that beyond the lousy gameplay and lackluster story Fire Warrior had terribly underwhelming weapons, which is something not to be expected from a game set in the "There is only war!" franchise of all things. The T'au pulse weapons work like toy guns that shoot multicolored lights, the las weapons shoot nerf pellets and the iconic bolter works like a slow-firing grenade launcher(?).
All in all, Fire Warrior is one of the few games I never finished, and I almost always finish games no matter how bad they are.
But that's how a bolter is supposed to feel, especially when it's a weedy Tau holding a weapon designed for a Space Marine. It's a hefty, huge hulk of a weapon that can potentially blow a human sized target apart with a single shot, and firing it on full auto is only when you really need to hose down a room with death. It felt exactly like a bolter should; big, heavy, and very very lethal. It's certainly better than the weak things they show in Dawn of War.

And for that matter, "the las weapons shoot nerf pellets"? Yeah, welcome to the Imperial Guard, here's your paper maché armour and your flashlight. :p

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Best?

Gal sub machinegun from SWAT 4, just because i always chewed everyone on the other team a new one with that gun.

Worst?
Eh, that's kinda hard, i'd say any weapon that isn't a bow. (ok, ill give rocket launchers a pass here)
Why should i bother shooting enemies full of bullets that can decloack me when i can shoot an arrow, that i can pick up again, and kills practically everyone with 1 shot.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Hmm, interesting question.

For me, it depends. For example, one of my favorite assault-rifle like weapons is the laptop gun from Perfect Dark. Favorite shotgun would be either the shotgun in Half-Life 1 or the double-barreled from Doom 2. Favorite rocket launcher would be either the launcher from Half-Life 2 or the launcher from Halo: CE. Favorite "oddball" gun, while a tough choice, may go to the Cerebral Bore from Turok. And, so on and so on and so forth.

What I'm saying is, on a gun by gun basis, the game will vary.

Now, for overall feel I'm tempted to list a game the likes of Battlefield, Half-Life, Turok, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Painkiller, etc. However, I think I have to give it to the old school classic Doom 2.

Besides the pistol, there's no weapon in that game that isn't cathartic-ly satisfying to fire. From the singe-barreled shotgun to the BFG.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
best: the indra from ME3. I swear to god i would marry that automatic sniper rifle, yes i said AUTOMATIC sniper rifle, whats more it has just enough recoile to feel powerful but not enough tomess with your aim even while zoomed.

worst: gotta go to fallout 3. i mean i get 6 headshots on a regular guy and he still manages to plant a pipe in my head?! WTF

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Best is a tough call. I'm gonna have to go with nostalgia though and say the K7 Avenger from Perfect Dark 64. Its weapon model is almost identical to the Morita Mk.I rifles from Starship Troopers, it has a reasonably high rate of fire, pretty high damage, and an alternate fire mode that lets me passively detect enemy mines and sentry turrets. Soooo many kills with the K7 Avenger back in the day.

As for the worst weapon...