Best Dragon Age 2 Class?

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
Well everyone, the DA2 demo has been released and it is quite impressive. i have played through it as all 3 classes and decided to see how people felt about the changes to the classes. Personally, my favorite is the rogue (ironic since i hated rogue in Origins) followed by mage then warrior. Rogue is really awesome because of how fast and hard he hits, and it really makes you feel like the Champion the game builds you up as.

Overall the combat is well improved on all the classes and i expect DA2 to surpass origins quite easily.

So what are your opinions?

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
The Mage. I've not even played the demo, it's just because there's 3 options, and one of them was the Mage. It's not fair to the others, really, having to compete with Gaming's Best Class. Also, the Mage in DA1 was by faaar the best class in the game, essentially just shredding up the battlefield.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
I played mage in the first game and am happy to see that they still kick ass in DA2. When even the default ranged attack looks and feels badass, you know they did something right.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
well i agree that mage is, on average, the best RPG class. But for as much as i love them, the rogue just felt really badass, especially since i kept choosing the funny conversation options, so i sounded like Anders from Awakening but on so much caffiene i was vibrating.

Edit: ugh i dont know why but i can almost never get the quote bit to work right.

Klitch

Jan 8, 2011
I tend to be horribly unimaginative when it comes to races/classes. I'm always human/warrior I guess because I don't like dealing with the added complications brought about by special moves and magical spells. Warrior skills tend to be either of the "hit harder" or the "hit in more directions" varieties and that suits me just fine.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
theComposer said:
I played mage in the first game and am happy to see that they still kick ass in DA2. When even the default ranged attack looks and feels badass, you know they did something right.
Hell yeah, flipping the staff around and throwing fire off it seriously looked kickass. I was very dissapointed by how many fewer spells there were than in origins. I hope i can still be a blood mage though.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
I'm loving the mage at the mo, but i feel i need to try the specializations before I can truly say. Looking forward to see how the force mage is comparing with the blood mage.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
Klitch said:
I tend to be horribly unimaginative when it comes to races/classes. I'm always human/warrior I guess because I don't like dealing with the added complications brought about by special moves and magical spells. Warrior skills tend to be either of the "hit harder" or the "hit in more directions" varieties and that suits me just fine.
In origins i had the same mindset, there were way too many abilities for the other too classes that felt useless but i was compelled to use anyway (since id wasted a skill point on them). Warriors are simple and fun since they are the strongest in any given game. They just get a tad monotonous sometimes.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
TrevorGruen said:
theComposer said:
Hell yeah, flipping the staff around and throwing fire off it seriously looked kickass. I was very dissapointed by how many fewer spells there were than in origins. I hope i can still be a blood mage though.
Yeah, one or two more spells to start with would've been nice, but this was just a demo, so I'm sure shortly after the encounter with Flemeth you'll start leveling up and getting several new tricks.

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
The mage for sure. Hell even in the trailer for the game he's a mage. Such baddassery in a spellcaster.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
cursedseishi said:
All 3 classes do a good job of making you feel more epic, and the main reason you probably enjoy the rogue now, is that they feel different than a warrior with two swords. That was the major issue with Origins, the only truly unique class was Mage. Warrior and Rogue were so identical though, that it took special characters (Dog and Shale) to make them seem anything beyond generic.

In Dragon Age 2 though.
The rogue is more agile, and all it takes to know that is tapping the a button once and seeing them leaping through the air, forwards or back, or tossing up a bomb and kicking it straight for them.
While warriors have this impact about them with each attack, especially the shield bash.
While the mage? Well... bladed staff is awesome, and the Ogre takedown in the demo is just plain sweet.

But as always, I'll be going 2-handed warrior.

Sidenote, but who here loves the new look for Flemmeth? That generic NPC look they gave her for Origins just didn't do her any justice.
Couldnt have said it better myself. as for the sidenote... i had to pause the game because i couldnt stop laughing at her hair antlers.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
All of the classes seem so updated. I might even play as a Mage happily this time. Though the Rogue's style really makes me drool.

TrevorGruen

Jan 5, 2011
VaudevillianVeteran said:
All of the classes seem so updated. I might even play as a Mage happily this time. Though the Rogue's style really makes me drool.
heheh same here. the rogue just flips around so much. Im also glad the ditched the really poor stealth design they had in origins. the slow walking and invisibility wasnt worth it for 1 critical.

everlost516

Jan 26, 2011
Klitch said:
Ditto. Well, that and I can't seem to stop myself from wading into the middle of every single melee. But that's OK. The way the darkspawn sort of explode/liquify is terribly satisfying. I can't wait to use that scythe move some more!

cursedseishi said:
Sidenote, but who here loves the new look for Flemmeth? That generic NPC look they gave her for Origins just didn't do her any justice.
She did look amazingly bad ass.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My favorite way to go in Origins was as a rogue archer. Archery seemed dull compared to the dual wielding rogue in the demo for Dragon Age 2, though. I'm sort of torn on which way to go my first time through. I know I'll end up playing it again in every way I can, but I want my first playthrough to be the most special. You only get to play a game for the first time once, after all.

But...I am a rogue, through and through.