Best Dragon Age 2 Class?

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
TrevorGruen said:
heheh same here. the rogue just flips around so much. Im also glad the ditched the really poor stealth design they had in origins. the slow walking and invisibility wasnt worth it for 1 critical.
I'm with you my friend. The combat is just so stylish and actually looks like 'a Rogue'. I wasn't big on the stealth in Origins but i'll admit when I triggered it accidentally a few times I couldn't help but think 'What is this shit?'.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
Honestly I couldn't stand the rogue. Seemed more like an acrobat/monkey hybrid bounding all about the battlefield. Hardly roguish.

Along with that I'm really not liking the Mass Effect dialog trees, especially with the freaking emotional indicator next to them. Their limited responses and unexpected voiced dialogue that go with really take me out of the immersive experience.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
I've played the demo with a female mage and was pleasantly surprised at how responsive and physically present the spells feel and act, but then I got to the Kirkwall section and got that dwarf rogue in the party (Varric, was it?), and controlled him for the rest of the demo because his skills were awesome. I can sense a rogue Hawke in the near future.

Also I'm surprised that they've managed to make it more number-crunchy-munchy than DAO, but at the same time more hacky-slashy-evadey, all the while stripping away underused mechanics. It just feels very tight, and something that would suit me fine, though I can imagine it failing to satisfy both God of War and Baldur's Gate fans. The rogue seems particularly well-suited to this hybrid combat gameplay, so I'll go with that.

Pity about the graphics, though. About the only thing added is some sparse DirectX11 flashiness, the odd physics-reliant cape or lock of hair, and more convincing faces.

EDIT:
ravenshrike said:
cursedseishi said:
Sidenote, but who here loves the new look for Flemmeth? That generic NPC look they gave her for Origins just didn't do her any justice.
The reason she looks like that is because the entire game is being told from someone else's point of view. This is why Bethany's boobs are bigger in the first part of the demo. The dwarf in question never actually met Flemeth, unless she comes into play later in the game.
Oh, sweet. That unreliable narrator thing gives them quite a bit of freedom, and goes a long way to explain why the game looks more stylized than DAO. It's also a good reason for why the darkspawn look different - we can assume the dwarf has never actually seen one in person.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
Mage. I mean for the love of god you're eventually gonna turn into the guy from the 1st trailer. Look at my Avatar!

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
Seneschal said:
Pity about the graphics, though. About the only thing added is some sparse DirectX11 flashiness, the odd physics-reliant cape or lock of hair, and more convincing faces.
Did you get the DirectX11 to work? When I tried it, the game seemed to take it as a personal insult, and cut my FPS down to somewhere in the single digits.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
shado_temple said:
Seneschal said:
Did you get the DirectX11 to work? When I tried it, the game seemed to take it as a personal insult, and cut my FPS down to somewhere in the single digits.
Yeah, I thought that was just my machine sucking, which would be weird since it's an average gaming PC. It played rather smoothly when I lowered the quality, though. Then I got dynamic lighting, shadows and stuff, only blocky and blurry.

But really, the graphics are nothing to write home about, even on ultra-high. I'd play the game for the story even if they made it 2D, but it's just unacceptable for a game this average to make a Crysis-capable machine sweat.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Serenegoose said:
The Mage. I've not even played the demo, it's just because there's 3 options, and one of them was the Mage. It's not fair to the others, really, having to compete with Gaming's Best Class. Also, the Mage in DA1 was by faaar the best class in the game, essentially just shredding up the battlefield.
The mage seems to be in DA2 but in DA:O it was the Rogue... easily.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Definitely the mage, I was quite happy to know that they still rule the battlefield. Second would be the rogue and it's sweet backstab ability(even more fun when the cooldown is 5 sec).

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I usually don't play the class that is the most "overpowered".I have always rolled with the Warrior(Fighter) archetype since I started playing RPG's and I'm not gonna stop.

I mean who doesn't like a full plated human warrior swinging a sword bigger than him...*raises hand* ^^

Warrior 4 life! :p

PS: I played both Warrior and Rogue in the demo and I liked Warrrior more obviously.

Luhrsen

Aug 30, 2010
I thought they were all very balanced. It was especially nice that the mage was a capable combatant even fighting alone now. The rogue was fast and had good options. And the warrior hit nice and hard.

I'll probably go rogue just for the chest opening.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Well the demo is still downloading for me at around 42% on xbox 360 so I don't know yet. But the mage looked pretty cool and if the combat has improved I bet the rouge is much better.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
I'm genuinely uncertain.

They've added a lot of immediacy to the combat across the board, so even the mage has a more direct fighting style. I especially like the new pew-pew-pew staffs. But the rogue has all that jumping and stabbing, so cool~

Haven't tried the warrior yet though, so I guess I'll have to test that as well. It's never fun being the tank, though (in my ever-humble opinion).

Seneschal said:
shado_temple said:
Seneschal said:
Yeah, I thought that was just my machine sucking, which would be weird since it's an average gaming PC. It played rather smoothly when I lowered the quality, though. Then I got dynamic lighting, shadows and stuff, only blocky and blurry.

But really, the graphics are nothing to write home about, even on ultra-high. I'd play the game for the story even if they made it 2D, but it's just unacceptable for a game this average to make a Crysis-capable machine sweat.
It worked well on my (average-ish) computer, but Crysis (2007) isn't exactly the benchmark to use anymore. I look forward to seeing how well it performs with the barrage of tweaks and fixes that inevitably follow these games.

Also, why did they not allow certain DX11 options in the demo? That just struck me as bizarre, why would they not want to show the game in the best possible light?

[sub]On a complete side-note: God, even the preset Ladyhawke looks amazing. I'm glad they went for full voice-acting.[/sub]

hawley788

Nov 15, 2010
I think 2H Warrior is going to be a bad ass tankin machine. Mage is wicked, but I found myself doing alot of running away as to not get slaughtered. Hope you can be an Arcane Warrior again this time around... didn't find out how bad ass class it was until my 2nd playthrough of Origins. My wife plays Rogue, and I think she's going to love how smooth flowing the attacks are in DA2. I can't wait til March 8th when pre-orders start coming in.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I must say I really enjoyed the demo. I played through it as a mage and a rogue so far both were quite fun.

I really like the dialogue, it feels fresher in Mass Effect form. Oh and the voice acting is really top notch. The dwarven rogue that you meet reminds me of Tyrion Lannister.

I suppose I should try warrior, for equality reasons.