Best game you have played this year?

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
i have felt many of the games i have purchased have been pretty lackluster this year. I am hoping that the 2nd half of the year is better.

Cowabungaa said:
Except that it's not. You should really play a truly terrible game once. DA2 is not one of them, not even remotely.
yes it is. relative to its predecessor, it was just plain terrible.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Mortal Kombat 9, Portal 2, inFamous 2, dead nation, red dead redemption, fallout new vegas. All of those were good games, great in fact.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Ascarus said:
yes it is. relative to its predecessor, it was just plain terrible.
I've said this before, but once again; I beg to differ. On many fronts, though not all, I prefer it over DA:O. Some are a matter of taste, some are on technical grounds. From what I've seen, most rage over DA2 comes from DA:O fans who are butthurt that DA2 wasn't a clone of DA:O. I welcomed the change however, and would definitely look down on BioWare if they'd just take the lazy road and remake their previous games. But, mind you, not on all fronts; the re-use of environments was plain lazy, the spawn-rate of enemies was just silly and spammy, and the ending was just shameless.

But at the same time I prefered the characters over DA:O's (except Ogren, Ogren is pure win), I liked a lot of the very well-done streamlining (mainly because it didn't take the ME2 road and just cut everything), I prefered the more character-oriented story over the traditional fantasy epic of DA:O, I prefered the better flowing combat.

It's not by far my favourite game of 2011, as you can see it's not on my list of contenders I posted in this thread. But I'm never going to hate it either. Instead of taking the easy road BioWare really looked at the faults of their previous games and tried to improve upon them. I think they did a pretty decent job, though far from perfect.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Easily Persona 4. I had high expectations for this game after watching that one EC episode and it did not disappoint. I've gone off about this game before so I'll just say that it was a great experience and you should get it especially if you like anime.
Second would go to Killer7 because it was so unique. At least rent Killer7 because you may never experience anything like it ever again.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Here we go...

Console: Catherine, Shadows of the Damned.
Portable: Radiant Historia, Galaxy on Fire 2.
Old Game on a Current Console: Grandia on PSP.

Kind of a hipster list with the Atlus and the Grasshopper Manufacture and such, but that's because the usual AAA suspects are, were, and will always be amazing and I really don't need to say it. I'm perpetually impressed by those two companies and the amount of balls they have in this industry. They consistently prove to me that my most cherished games aren't polished Swarovski diamonds in the gameplay department, and that I'm moving away from "gameplay games" and more into "complete experiences."

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Mass Effect 1. Hands-down the best game I've played in the last few years. It was so awesome it's now my #2 favourite game ever.

Mass Effect 2 comes in as a close 4th.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I love how the escapist warns pirates but ignore those who talk about smoking pot

OT: Alpha protocol. Expected some mediocre RPG but got an amazing deus ex like game

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I've played too many great games this year to pick, both old and new, games I've played before and games I'm playing for the first time. It'd take me ages just to recall all the games I've played. Hell, I'd even have a hard time judging the best game I've played in the last month.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
That'd certainly be Portal 2, with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood coming in second (and a very firm second, mind you). However, I still have quite a long queue of games waiting to be played, including New Vegas, Demon's Souls, Borderlands, and Arkham Asylum, so Portal 2 may yet be dethroned.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Hmm... this is a tough one. Either Starcraft II, or New Vegas Post-Glitched, Terraria, Minecraft or Patapon 3. I'm bad at picking favourites. :3

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
deserteagleeye said:
Easily Persona 4. I had high expectations for this game after watching that one EC episode and it did not disappoint. I've gone off about this game before so I'll just say that it was a great experience and you should get it especially if you like anime.
Second would go to Killer7 because it was so unique. At least rent Killer7 because you may never experience anything like it ever again.
Anyone know where I can get Persona 4 not on a ps2.

But I do not know what my best game is, ask me again later in October/ November when Saints Row the third is on.