Best Graphics

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
minecraft.
ok jk. now i feel mean for saying jk.
personally, i cant see the difference between, say, Prototype and LA Noire. the older games and Half-Life/team fortress graphics are obviously different. i remember an old Spyro game on the PS1 with graphics like modern games simplified a bit. i was shocked.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
First of all i'd like to say that I don't give a damn about graphics and aesthethics win over any day, now to answer your question... I dunno some modern day "brown is real" boring shooter that I don't care about

Vonnis

Feb 18, 2011
Either Metro 2033, or Crysis 1. I've never done a proper comparison between the two so I can't say which is best, but I've never seen any other game come close to these two. Slightly odd considering how old the first Crysis is.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
To echo what a bunch of other people have already said, The Witcher 2 - the graphics in that game are absolutely stunning, which when combined with the gorgeous art design equates to a feast for the eyes.

But just echoing what other people say isn't really my style, so why not provide an example? So here's the "Fear and Disdain" launch trailer!

Warning! Contains like a second of nudity, so NSFW and all that jazz.[footnote]Ordinarily I might be reluctant to post something that could be considered even mildly risque for fear of running afoul of the moderators, but since that exact same trailer is also here as an official "feature" on The Escapist (which is where I saw it originally), I figure it's cool if I embed it so long as I include that disclaimer.[/footnote]

"You can't really use that as an example of the graphical quality of the game itself though" I hear you say, since that wasn't gameplay footage and a pre-rendered cinematic these days generally looks pretty damn fantastic even if the game itself looks like ass? A valid point! Only not valid at all actually in this particular example because that was all in-engine footage.

While the other typical critique of cinematic-only trailers still applies (namely that it's hard to get a feel for what the gameplay is like based only on a trailer comprised of cutscene fragments), the "you can't tell how good it's really going to look based on that" caveat doesn't - give Geralt different armor or weapons, a different hairstyle (courtesy of the 1.2 patch), or even a certain "unwanted after sobering up" neck tattoo (love that sidequest so much!) and you'll see those changes to his appearance all the time, because everything in that trailer was rendered in-engine, in real-time.

The game really is that gorgeous.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Thundero13 said:
First of all i'd like to say that I don't give a damn about graphics and aesthethics win over any day, now to answer your question... I dunno some modern day "brown is real" boring shooter that I don't care about
Yeah, because the original Crysis and The Witcher 2 are so damn brown.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker. Why? cartoony graphics mean that you're not going for realism your going for a less intense more flat cartoon environment. I can look at any game and say "that's not photo-realistic, the graphics need to improve" but for WindWaker I can't say "That doesn't look like a cartoon." I know other games fit this description but WindWaker is the first that comes to mind.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Thundero13 said:
Yeah, because the original Crysis and The Witcher 2 are so damn brown.
You know now that I think about it I probably shouldn't of posted in this thread...