Best Melee Combat

Oct 30, 2010
Arkham Asylum/City. Fantastic job of making each button do what you think it is going to do and what it should do, rewards skill and experimentation without really punishing those less talented. Good translation of the fights to player feedback (what hitting, and being hit feels like as far as rumble/graphics/sound etc.)

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I gotta say Warhammer 40k Space Marine had one of the best melee combat systems (going seamlessly from rapid-fire Third-Person-Shooter funtime to Hacking-Slashing (or smacking if you have the Thunderhammer) carnage funtime and back to Third-Person-Shooter).

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Manditory Dark Souls post.
Very good, realistic melee combat. Maybe a bit more rolling and magic than real life, but still very very fun and intense. Made for some awesome pvp, too.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Plenty of good games were already listed, but I think Zeno Clash deserves a mention for being one of the few games to get the feeling of it right in first person. It does a very good job of having your character's body and viewpoint shift along with how your weight would as you throw punches or grab their shoulders and knee someone in the stomach or whatever, instead of the typical unweighted look-straight-ahead-and-flail-your-arms-around melee combat in most first person games.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
First person... none. It just doesn't work from a first person perspective.

3rd person... AC 2-Rev. It works as well and as smoothly as the Arkham games, and flows even more naturally with freerunning and even stealth.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I wish a game would evolve the targeting system from Mark of Kri. It was pretty awesome being able to target lock multiple opponents at once and fight a group of opponents with perfect target selection.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Kyrian007 said:
First person... none. It just doesn't work from a first person perspective.

3rd person... AC 2-Rev. It works as well and as smoothly as the Arkham games, and flows even more naturally with freerunning and even stealth.
AC2 still had most of the problems as AC as far as combat only being so much standing around and countering. They didn't speed things up until Brotherhood added that combo kill system that made even the biggest enemy clusterfucks trivial.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
I feel Morrowind had a really intuitive combat system it was really responsive and really translated the feeling of combat to the player.

Also honourable mention to Batman: Arkham city, witcher 2 an mount and blade

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Westaway said:
Very good, realistic melee combat.
I had to raise a quizzical eyebrow at this statement. Dark Souls is definitely not realistic.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
TORIBASHI!

My vote would go to The Witcher 2 also. It has a good balance with difficulty, realism and everything.

Snafu

Jun 26, 2011
Ninja Gaiden had great combat, a wide variety of styles and combos between weapons and even between their upgrades, a particular favourite of mine was the fully upgraded wooden sword. You could really feel that thing hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSn327yqEls&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL2224A7C6B9596C29

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
What no love for Condemned? Sure it wasn't the flashiest or the prettiest of combat systems, but it felt real. When you bashed someones face in with a plank you could practically feel the impact because it was so close and so realistic. Other games? Meh. Sure Ninja Gaiden is pretty to look at and its fun to have a system that rewards you actually bein strategic like the Witcher, but at the end of the day its still all so...normal.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
-Drifter- said:
Westaway said:
Very good, realistic melee combat.
I had to raise a quizzical eyebrow at this statement. Dark Souls is definitely not realistic.
Yeah, well, fair enough. Let me rephrase that. Every swing has weight, and you can't just continually swing swing swing because of the stamina bar.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
I enjoyed the combat in Dead Island, while not being the greatest, or the least repetative every melee encounter with a group of zombies was always intense, and you get your shit kicked in if you weren't on your toes.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Pirates Vikings and Knights II, of course! It's better than War of the Roses because it supports XP!
Also you can attack a knight in heavy armor with a parrot and then shoot a cannonball out of a blunderbuss.
The melee combat is good too, thought.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
best melee combat, look no farther than mount and blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De_3fDkmD-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Y89GFt5Io&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZnl09qBKM

Nami nom noms

Apr 26, 2011
My choices won't be popular, but here's what I believe to be the best from all the games I've experienced:

Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy = Not so much the singleplayer, but the multiplayer had great physics, allows for pretty much any kind of attack you can concieve of, and rewards player judgement and skill above all else. Brilliant if you like to feel like you are the one making the difference.

Kingdom Hearts (series) = Melee fights straight out of an OTT anime; as epic and sheer fun as you'll ever get, and most importantly, allow a hell of a lot of different choices and approaches in every encounter. At first it can seem fairly average but once the combat 'clicks' you'll be hooked for life.

Dead or Alive (series) = What I would say is the most realistic of all traditional fighting games (to an extent). Where games like Tekken make stringing together some punches more difficult then real life, everything in DoA is context based and extremely fast. Again it rewards judgement and reaction times above others.

Someone mentioned the Onimusha series; While I do not think the combat is the best, it is extremely good at capturing the 'feel' of various styles to good effect. To excel at fighting with the samurai you need to fight like one; to excel at fighting with a western soldier, you need to fight like one. Worth a try if you like a more realistic take on samurai fights: otherwise try Genji for a more cinematic samurai experience.

That is all.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
TES games - I know, odd choice for some, but I like how it works there, it's simple, functional and makes me feel in control of the character.

Only better example I can think of (for me) would be the Jedi Knight series (Outcast/Academy). Same as above, gives you a feeling of full control, only it works really well from third person and has a ton more options. Can't figure out for the life of me why its model wasn't pursued and perfected further in more games.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I have to say the melee combat found in the Batman Arkham series and the Assassin's Creed series are the best. Both combat systems allow you to lengthy combos on multiple enemies, utilize your arsenal of gadgets and weapons, and take down enemies in one-hit. Both combat systems allow you to approach every situation with stealth, tact, or straight up beat'em up, and each approach is both satisfying and fun to do.

I guess the next installment could be The Amazing Spider-Man game, as it utilizes a similar, albeit more acrobatic, combat system.