Best "Non Final Fantasy" JRPG Ever?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I'm going to say either Pokemon Gold Version, Golden Sun or Dragon Quest VIII. All three were perfect in pretty much every way, I think, from graphics, to music, to gameplay, to variety and, most importantly, their stories were all awesome. Yes, even Pokemon.

Serperoth

Sep 9, 2009
Skies of Arcadia.
Chrono Trigger.
Grandia.
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal.
Golden Sun.
Dragon Quest.

What moar do you want?:p

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
tales of vesperia. to be honest I haven't played a lot of non FF JRPGs but that one is fraking awesome!

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
I've counted, and Wild Arms is mentioned 5 times in 187 posts.

So, I'm going to say Wild Arms 1, Wild Arms 3, Suikoden, Suikoden II and Suikoden V.

To be honest, Final Fantasy is my least liked JRPG series.

Seaf The Troll

Jul 6, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
Attention all JRPG fans! We all know final fantasy is considered by many to be the finest RPG series out there, but I beg to differ. So, I want you to think hard and tell me any others you have played and why you think it is the best.
Just to make things even harder, Kingdom Hearts is not allowed (has final fantasy characters), although alternate Squaresoft titles are cool.
Personally, it has to be Pokemon Yellow.
it square enix now. lol

anyway. there are some games out there I loved playing all the way to the end, like legend of dragoon, and Blue Dragon, Lost odyssey.

but ff game had a really good story, I went on to playing Shadow harts (both of them) the Digital Devil Saga, (both of them to)

maybe I should count Folklore..

but for me the best of the best and the one that I have gone back to more than once is Cross Edge (yes I know NIS works with square-enix from time to time) but I started to play it, about 4 hours in it was the only game I played till I hit 240 hours :s there has been no other game I have played as much. I just like that start to make me giggle at times, the game once you get in to it is just fun, and to me for a RPG to be fun to play sold me big time,

so yep Cross Edge all the way for me

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
That I've played, Tales of Vesperia. That game was awesome. I've heard good things about Abyss too, but never got to try it out.

Notable mention to Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal. Great games.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
There's a little gem I really enjoy playing every now and then, called Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator.

The World Ends with You was the game which really got me to expand into JRPG territory and get a console (I'm a WRPG freak). And I still love it, in fact I'm on my fifth playthrough right now.