Best PS2 RPGs

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
spartan1077 said:
Someone is necroin a lot of threads!
I don't think it counts exactly as a RPG but Hitman Blood Money...okay it's not a rpg but its still good...and I guess the Persona series is worth checking out.
What is necroin?

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
Ahlycks said:
NardBasket said:
Ahlycks said:
NardBasket said:
Ahlycks said:
NardBasket said:
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but what are your favorite PS2 RPGs? I just bought a PS2 again to go back and play all the greats I missed. What are your favorite or lesser-known RPGs for the system?
i'm quoting this just to make sure you do not miss it.

SHADOW HEARTS. good god, what a good game.

persona 3 and 4 is pretty good too
Ha cool, I'll check it out! I saw it for sale at gamestop but ended up getting .Hack
Shadow hearts?

Only the 1st and 2nd ones were good though. You should steer clear of the third one >.<
Yup, Shadow Hearts. I'll have to go back and pick it up!
I really wish mine still worked >.<

here is a good representation of the games overall feel
Lol, definitely checking it out now!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Xenosaga. Just the first one.

...and if you want a very challenging sidescrolling beat-em-up-action-RPG (and you can find it) Odin Sphere.

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
loc978 said:
Xenosaga. Just the first one.

...and if you want a very challenging sidescrolling beat-em-up-action-RPG (and you can find it) Odin Sphere.
I do enjoy a good action game with RPG elements, like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

sukotsuto

Nov 15, 2007
Tales of the Abyss. And yes, I tried out nearly every RPG mentioned here when I decided on TotA

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
NardBasket said:
I do enjoy a good action game with RPG elements, like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Odin Sphere is more like King of Dragons (or Final Fight, or Knights of the Round) gameplay with a hand-drawn anime look and a seamless, complicated world... and very tough, unforgiving combat.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Persona 3 has a bit of grind to it, but is otherwise fantastic, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a JRPG where the kid hero's actually go to school. I've heard good things about P4 too.

Also, even though it wasn't the best from what I've played, my liking Tales of Symphonia (2nd disk lag non-withstanding) bodes well for Tales of the Abyss, even if overworld battle loading times are bad.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
For some reason I liked Rogue Galaxy. I know that there are better ones, but if you like action-RPGs I suggest that one.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Hmm, probably .hack//G.U. I mean, I loved the first 4 .hack games, but I love G.U so much more. Never really found it boring, and all the fights were very fast paced.

Also the Xenosaga Trilogy. Although I don't even remember most of the details in Episode II(even when the game would summarize things for me everytime I started the game I was still lost a bit. Though truthfully the game wasn't that fun), I remember loving a lot of Episode III. A shame that they couldn't do more episodes. I'm a sucker for long cutscenes and Xenosaga has a lot of those!

Oh, and Persona 3Fes and Persona 4 obviously.

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
loc978 said:
NardBasket said:
Odin Sphere is more like King of Dragons (or Final Fight, or Knights of the Round) gameplay with a hand-drawn anime look and a seamless, complicated world... and very tough, unforgiving combat.
Woah awesome, i liked Knights of the Round. This looks good!

NardBasket

Nov 28, 2010
A random person said:
Persona 3 has a bit of grind to it, but is otherwise fantastic, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a JRPG where the kid hero's actually go to school. I've heard good things about P4 too.

Also, even though it wasn't the best from what I've played, my liking Tales of Symphonia (2nd disk lag non-withstanding) bodes well for Tales of the Abyss, even if overworld battle loading times are bad.
Tales of the Abyss is another one i've been meaning to check out. My friend has played through it multiple times and says the combat is the sticking point because the story is pretty bland