Best RPG ever? (Not including MMORPG's)

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Earthbound for the snes and Final fantasy VI (also known as FF3 for the snes) are the best

Oblivion was ok

Fire emblem series was pretty good

Freestyle270

Mar 20, 2009
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, hands down

Larger area than Oblivion, and you really could free-form since the NPCs didn't scale with your every level, they scaled at milestones, and the good NPCs weren't in harms way forcing you to do the main story before anything else if you wanted to have a good shot at actually beating the quests that requires NPCs

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
It would be WoW, but since that's not allowed, then it's Tales of Vesperia with FFX in close second.

Baltist

Apr 15, 2009
most memorable titles for me would have to be Wild ARMs 1 and 2, Lunar: Silver Star Complete/Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and The Tales of World, all on playstation 1.
also, would strategy RPGs count? if so, add Disgaea for the addicting yet fun gameplay.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'm tempted to say Rogue Galaxy or Fallout 3. Those are the best JRPG and WRPG that I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'm missing the best one though.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Xtinction_NL said:
Baldur's Gate 2, no contest. I've played a lot of RPG's, but having control over 6 characters just makes the whole thing so much more complex and dynamic...
Baldur's gate was good, but I'm gonna have to go with the second Fallout.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I cannot choose.

Fallout 2 is great, but the early game is something you need to force yourself to go through.
Or maybe, BG2. Alot of charm, but also cheese.
VTM:Bloodlines is great, but it was left to fans to make the patches for it and the end game is a series of repetative fights.
Planescape:Torment has weak combat, but is great otherwise.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Earthbound still gets the spot for me.
Especially due to the fact that it was released during a time when RPGs were not popular at all, and thus it is also the Most Under-rated game ever, due to the god-awful reception it got stateside. (Atleast, thats my opinion.)
But the clever writing, Amazing gameplay, and likeable characters are more than enough to make it my favorite RPG.

owentc

Apr 15, 2009
its kind of a rpg but its driven by missionsits called dark messiah might and magic

wlminter

Apr 14, 2009
Vagrant Story for JRPG. Great, amazing gameplay. It was linear, but didn't feel like it; so you had the feeling of getting somewhere, but not being forced to. Story was good, but really needed a sequel in order to expand upon it. And the soundtrack was amazing for the time, hell, it still is!

Oblivion for Western RPG. Huge, Giant game. So much stuff to do, and it's pretty much all up to you how you do it. The Main storyline sucked, but the Dark Brotherhood story was great; the whole mythos involved in the game (the Daedra, factions, basically the Elder Scrolls world) was great.

Unfortunately my experience with Western RPGs is limited since I'm a console-tard and most are for the PC.

skathe

Mar 22, 2009
Gontear said:
Xenogears
HELLS YEA! I probably played through the free 45 minute trial on one of those pizza hut discs on PS1 half a dozen times. Xenosaga was also good cuz of the graphical upgrade... and the pure length was staggering. (thatswhatshesaid)

Danman1

Mar 27, 2009
danneloid said:
Imo The Elderscrolls: Oblivion is one of the best, but beeing a falloutfan i must say Fallout 3 struck hard for me and i like it allot =)
Oblivion and KOTOR 1. Im no fallout fan even though thats the equivalent of saying the god father and jesus are overated