Best RPG(s) You've ever Played

lewiswhitling

May 18, 2009
PxDn Ninja said:
Man, tough question.

Torn between Deus Ex (if you count it as RPG), FFVII, XenoGears (and Saga), Bioshock, and Fallout series.
In some ways i found Deus Ex to have a deeper playing experience as an RPG than any other game so far (for me). There was such a huge scale of player action, from sneaking and not killing anyone, to basically being a walking tank. And the game play and feel of the game changed so fundamentally depending on which way/combination of ways the player chose to go.

With other more traditional RPGs the game play tends to feel the same despite choices made, but with different visual effects on screen, and a different story line. From a purely game playing perspective they tended to remain very similar. Again only imo :p

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
In order:

1. TES3: Morrowind
2. Fallout 3
3. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
4. Mass Effect
5. The Witcher
6. Knights of the Old Republic
7. TES4: Oblivion

Dungeon Siege was pretty poor... its a time waster, not a real gaming experience. In fact, I've given up on all top-down view RPGs, they just pale in comparison when it comes to immersion and gameplay.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Cama Zots said:
Oblivion FTW. Best ever
Morrowind was so much better, if you liked Oblivion, play Morrowind. However, the putdated graphics really hold back the gameplay.

xmetatr0nx said:
Until recently it was Dragon Quest VII...then i tasted the spoils Bethesda had to offer. Im never going back to any of that other stuff, ive found my new drug.
Prepare to spend hundreds, lose track of the time, and not see actual daylight for many, many weeks...

But Bethesda games are awesome, so it's OK.

Rylara said:
FFVII, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are my three favourites.
I loved Fallout 3, Bethesda really, in my opinion, envisioned a post-nuclear war environment better than Interplay did.

Shamgarr

Aug 15, 2009
Isn't really my favorite RPG, but am I right in saying there's only really two types of RPG's? To me, I see RPG's that have in-depth (almost redicously so) amount of character customization, but a rather generic story to use said character in, and I see an RPG with rather bland character creation and a story with many arcs and hundreds of story paths. Am I right in thinking this, or is there a game somewhere that combines these two elements?

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
I'm going to agree with the other fifty people before me and say Oblivion. It's best on PC, where you can then go and acquire the mods Lost Spires, Midas Magic, and the specific overhaul (Fran's, Marty's, OOO) that you wish.

Anyone else think Oblivion is better than Fallout 3? Or is it just me?

Aug 18, 2009
Quel0 said:
Secret of Mana... though linear, i still hold it dearly
Oh Oh Oh YES! SoM had one of the best soundtracks for it's time and it's real-time battle system made it feel like you were playing Zelda but with more depth. I concur!

I have a small list of my favorite RPGs of all time"
1)Xenogears - Raptor Jesus made this game, which explains why it's perfect in all aspects
2)Chrono Trigger - Changed my standards of character development completely
3)Final Fantasy VII - I liked when Cloud got sick
4)Chrono Cross - Sick sick sick sick soundtrack. Nice story too, but too many characters
5)Final Fantasy VI - THE way an RPG story should be told, no question
6)Secret of Mana - This game was the truth
7)Final Fantasy X - BLITZBALL!!!!
8)Ar Tonelico - Caught me off guard. A really solid game with a GREAT score
9)Breath of Fire IV - Great soundtrack and solid gameplay. Awesome villain too
10)Final Fantasy - Because without this granddaddy, I would have never given this genre the attention and credit it deserves.

steam_marc

May 20, 2009
PC: Fallout 3, Oblivion

Gamecube: Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos

SNES: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars

GBA: Golden Sun

Gameboy: Pokemon

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Hands down, Suikoden II. Brilliant story, great characters (and in series tradition, a lot of them), and beautiful 2D graphics. It may not be the best game ever, but I highly recommend it to any fans of JRPGs.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
i have to agree xenogears rates very high on my list of jrpgs about a 3 losing to FFVII and IX its just a shame the second disk go's down hill on quality

edit screw quotes

Synonymous

Aug 6, 2009
Phantasy Star II: For the futuristic graphical style, bleak story and mature storytelling, and the Aerith twist years before FF7.

Lunar 2 for the Sega CD: I actually greatly prefer elements of the predecessor's story, Silver Story, particularly those pertaining to the villain. This, though, has excellent use of anime cutscenes and music and a strong story on its own and is perhaps the most polished Lunar game. (The Saturn/Playstation version has an offputting animation style for its cutscenes.)

The World Ends with You: Great soundtrack, a truly unique graphical style, and an extremely fun battle system that actually had me seeking out random encounters. Plus, the "3.14159..." joke neer gets old.

Final Fantasy II/IV: My introduction to character-driven RPGs; still one of the most memorable stories.

Ultima IV: A unique objective - instead of trying to defeat a Big Bad, you're trying to become a moral paragon for your people. The quest involves a lot more than monster-slaying.

I could never get into Golden Sun, what with the neverending dialogue boxes going on about absolutely nothing and the lack of interactivity via tons of fake choices thrown in your face.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Modded Oblivion ftw! Although Modded Fallout 3 is trying to drag Oblivion down from it's 1st place lately :p

I was thinking of getting Jade Empire though, I heard good words about it and I only have to give 5 euros for the collectors edition! Hell, I'll buy it just for it's metal box alone! :p

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Shadows Hearts and Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant

Brilliant games, two endings a piece, they were funny, good minigames, the Dollhouse area of the original shadow hearts was scary as fuck; I could go on. Shaodw Hearts was everything I loved about videogame RPGs and whilst it looks a bit dated now and the voice acting is sub-par, I still think they're some of the best, most imaginative and just plain fun games ever.(and then they made that god awful third one)

stone0042

Apr 10, 2009
My personal favorites are FFX and Morrowind. Just started playing morrowind a few weeks ago, and it has so much to offer that most recent RPGs lack