Best Shooter Levels

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Singleplayer:
Crysis 2: The nighttime levels against the aliens.
Halo CE: Assault on the Control Room, Halo, The Silent Cartographer, The Maw (I wanna replay this now)
Halo 2: High Charity, Quarantine Zone
Deus Ex: Area 51
Metro 2033: The whole game, except for the final sections
Brothers In Arms: Had some great sections, though I don't remember their names
Call of Duty 1: Stalingrad, Pegasus Bridge, Sainte Mere Eglise
Call of Duty 2:
Serving UpSmiles said:
Call of Duty 2's D DAY Level....
Multiplayer:
Call of Duty 1: Carentan, Rocket, Ship, Brecourt
Call of Duty 4: Overgrown, Strike, Pipeline, Bog
Halo CE: Pretty much every single map
Halo 2: Ditto
Halo Reach: Countdown
Doom 3: Frag Chamber
Crysis 2: Pier 17
Bad Company 2: Valapariso

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the level in Quake 4 where you get your legs cut off by rusty chainsaws. The game was rather average but that part was awesome.
also: all of prey

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
All Ghillied Up from CoD4 (and the 50cal bit from the next level). Damn that level was mind-blowing.

BigDeadMushy

May 4, 2011
old school Doom era game, Rise of the Triad (ROTT) VOMITORIUM!!!
was a decent looking game for the day,and this level of ingenious (insidious?) design was filled with jump pads all over the floor and with pickups that make your viewpoint move around in figure 8s,plus the occasional speed boost IIRC.not sure if you went through it on the single player campaign,but we usedta play a bunch of DMs using it because it was a great equalizer for those of us (ie:me) with less-than-great FPS chops.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
The mountain level from Black Ops. Why? Because it flowed like a river of hollandaise sauce. New gameplay stuff with the Blackbird? check. Fantastic transitioning from spy plane to fighting on the ground? check. Sneaky gameplay? check. Explosive crossbow? check. Freaking avalanche followed by more gameplay? check. Plus the theme music for that level is AMAZING.

The last few levels of the new Medal of Honor were glorious with the blend of night time stealth, balls out action, and a last desperate push to save your comrades.

And of course the Facility from Goldeneye.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
that bit in Black Ops where you wreck shit up in a PBR with sympathy for the devil playing on the radio! can't believe no-one's mentioned that yet. It was SO awesome.

also, in CoD 2: the bit in Russia where the tanks jump over the trench, the pre-mission truckride where planes crash around you in Africa and of course, D-day itself.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
brick said:
HALO: CE second level when you step out of your downed escape pod onto Halo . . . wow.
^ This. Also 'Well Enough Alone' (Level 6) for it's claustrophobic sense of atmosphere and 'The Maw' (level 10) for it's ball-tightening chase ending. Did get frustrating at times through when I revisited it after playing all the newer ones because the Halo: CE warthog handles like a piece of shit.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
gfmbhsmo said:
friends from afar in medal of honor
this level never gets old and no matter how many times i do it i always get a big smile from blowing someones balls off with the .50 cal
to damn right center off masss :p
I like how the new Medal of Honor is getting plenty of mentions in this thread. It was a very underrated game imo. Not as good as CoD4 but probably the best MW style shooter that we've had since. I only wish it could have been another 2-3 hours longer.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Serving UpSmiles said:
Call of Duty 2's D DAY Level....

While this is good you can't really give then full credit for it, as this is pretty much just a rip off of Medal of Honor: Frontline's first level, which in itself was an 'homage' to the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
The first mission of the Russian campagin in the first COD. You have to get shot at by stukas, yelled at by commisionares, and help a sniper take out some mg42s so you and the sniper can get to the radio operater to order a strike on the mg42s, and when you win, heroic music plays celebrating your victory.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
I'd say everything in Dead Space 2.
It's not a scary game, which is kind of a failure, but it's superb in everything else.

gfmbhsmo

Mar 17, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
gfmbhsmo said:
friends from afar in medal of honor
this level never gets old and no matter how many times i do it i always get a big smile from blowing someones balls off with the .50 cal
to damn right center off masss :p
I like how the new Medal of Honor is getting plenty of mentions in this thread. It was a very underrated game imo. Not as good as CoD4 but probably the best MW style shooter that we've had since. I only wish it could have been another 2-3 hours longer.
the worst thing is that the game is to easy in sp i breezed through on hard first time and barley died at all i would have liked more missions focussing around stealth like neptunes nest and it wouldnt hurt to have had larger less linear maps

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Multiplayer wise,
BF2MC:
Special Op
Bridge Too Far
Missile Crisis or Dammage, the one where one team starts behind that huge dam and the other has to fight their way up the hill, take the dam then up a huge hill normally populated by snipers and tanks and try and push the enemy all the way back...I think it's Dammage but it was amazing fun.
Black Gold. Fun times on that map, even if I hated the mini bird. So. Much.
Honorary mention for Deadly Pass and The Nest...

Timesplitters 2, most of the multiplayer maps were pretty damned fun. Some of the maps from Future Perfect's single player were a good laugh too.
I miss TimeSplitters.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Even though it was a cut-and-paste job for much of it, I feel like I'm the only person who actually LIKES the Library level from the first Halo game. I actually found myself really immersed in the game the first time I played that mission, and the Flood were a pretty tough enemy that drew me in as if I was actually there fighting them off. Not many games manage that nowadays. Also, I'm one of the few people who like the Flood as an enemy, including in the later games.

Also, in Halo Reach, there's the space mission, Long Night Of Solace, because it actually mixed things up and dared to do something different in the game. And the space controls weren't that bad once I got the hang of it. If that counts as a 'shooter' level, then it's certainly one of my favourites... :p

L1gh7Sp33d

Apr 15, 2009
Battlefield Vietnam: Operation Hastings.

That map will live on in my mind as the finest map battlefield ever had to offer. Memories of that game, and 1942 for that matter, only make me disappointed with the battlefield franchise as it stands today.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Q3DM17, Q3DM6, DM-Rankin-FE, CTF-Face, All Ghillied Up, First level of Soldier of Fortune as well as others I can't think of.

Also of note is the single mission in Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis where you have to run down a hill, plant a series of bombs along a road, hide and then detonate the bombs when a russian convoy comes by. You and a squad then have to defeat the troops that counter-attack and then what is left then has to attack a base. That level was amazing. I think I only completed it once :D