Best snipers and/or marksmen in video games

Demolition_Human

May 11, 2013
What it says on the title. Who are the best snipers in video games? They don't even have to use a sniper rifle, they can be archers or crossbowmen or any character that works with long range weaponry and operate at a distance!! :D

I like the Sniper in TF2. I quite like his personality and....the fact he has a bottle of piss as a weapon which is freaking hilarious!! xD

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Female Infiltrator Shepard with a Widow. Garrus is good as well and especially badass when you meet him in Mass Effect 2.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
The Halo 2 Jackal Snipers... *Shudders*

They can tank multiple 14.5mm anti-material rounds to the chest, responding with a perfectly accurate Beam Rifle shot with <0.3s reaction time.

While giving 0 fucks.

The Halo 2 Jackal's AI was too good and Bungie had to make them less accurate and deadly for the other games. Not only could they get a head shot from across the map in the blink of an eye, they could do it without aiming or even facing away from you. They also came in large groups, so even if you can out-snipe one (hard enough in itself) there are usually several more about to insta kill you. And they can ricochet their beams off walls.

"Sniper Alley" in the second level has at least eight, enough so that on harder difficulties there's virtually no chance the marines following you will survive, even if you can get past them.

ninjarafter

Jun 11, 2013
The W2000 Sniper from the Hitman games, most notably Blood Money. There's something about spending tens of thousands of dollars to upgrade your rifle to perfection and then using it to fire 2-3 rounds for the whole game that just... makes you feel like a pro.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
How about the guy so dedicated to sniping, his skin can photosynthesise energy? A century old sniper who uses a parrot to spot for him and still can't be properly chased down by an elite commando? One of the few people to ever go toe to toe with Snake in a tactical battle (and in fact so fearsome that many a snake let him die of old age rather than fight him), who can camouflage himself against practically anything and carries one of the only and best non-lethal sniper rifles in the Metal Gear Solid final? His name is the The End because he's the end of this discussion :p

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
The enemies in Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Yeah, think about it - the game is about playing a sniper and the enemies are better than you. Also, the enemies are using normal weapons - being able to snipe without a sniper rifle should give them bonus points. But yeah, they seem to not mind stuff such as distance, obstacles, vision, or even recoil, among others that would make lesser snipers pause and at least think over the shot. They've truly mastered the art.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
It takes a bit of practice, but the WH40k: Space Marine Lascannon is absolutely beautifully brutal. Low ammo capacity, slow to reload, didn't even pretend to have the concept of accuracy when not looking down the scope, but viciously powerful. Like many weapons in that game, it was exactly how I imagined it to be.

Plus there were the occasional moments when you spun around, saw an assault marine, panicked, prayed to your respective deities, then accidentally melted his face off. It's a lot better than taking a chainaxe to the face, I can tell you that much.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
DoPo said:
The enemies in Sniper: Ghost Warrior. Yeah, think about it - the game is about playing a sniper and the enemies are better than you. Also, the enemies are using normal weapons - being able to snipe without a sniper rifle should give them bonus points. But yeah, they seem to not mind stuff such as distance, obstacles, vision, or even recoil, among others that would make lesser snipers pause and at least think over the shot. They've truly mastered the art.

So realistic.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Asclepion said:
DoPo said:

So realistic.
Yup, some master sniping there - lower quality snipers would probably need at least a fraction of a second to process what exactly happened and maybe even find the direction of where the shot came, but truly great snipers pinpoint the enemy with no actual delay. Though the bushes, camouflage and any other obstacles. At any distance.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
BrotherRool said:
How about the guy so dedicated to sniping, his skin can photosynthesise energy? A century old sniper who uses a parrot to spot for him and still can't be properly chased down by an elite commando? One of the few people to ever go toe to toe with Snake in a tactical battle (and in fact so fearsome that many a snake let him die of old age rather than fight him), who can camouflage himself against practically anything and carries one of the only and best non-lethal sniper rifles in the Metal Gear Solid final? His name is the The End because he's the end of this discussion :p
Could popping your eyes right REALLY make you see more through the scope? :D

Also, no love for sniper wolf?

OT: Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned mordedcai yet from borderlands.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kurt Hectic, from MDK. I'm pretty sure that this game is the first to have a sniper scope. He's very accurate and can shoot accurately at an extreme range.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
daveman247 said:
BrotherRool said:
Could popping your eyes right REALLY make you see more through the scope? :D

Also, no love for sniper wolf?
To my shame I've never actually played MGS1 and MGS2/Peace Walker didn't really have one (although fighting those camouflaged snipers in Peace Walker was brilliant, having opponents actually stealth you not through cheating but good positioning clothes and camouflage in a stealth game was so much fun) and MGS4's was basically just a big Sniper Wolf reference. She was great in the Last Days of Foxhound webcomic but that's my only real experience with her :(

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The M24 from Battlefield Bad Company 2:

It's just perfect, perfect range, accuracy, reload speed, and it's the first one you get.

Sep 14, 2009
Asclepion said:
The Halo 2 Jackal Snipers... *Shudders*

They can tank multiple 14.5mm anti-material rounds to the chest, responding with a perfectly accurate Beam Rifle shot with <0.3s reaction time.

While giving 0 fucks.

The Halo 2 Jackal's AI was too good and Bungie had to make them less accurate and deadly for the other games. Not only could they get a head shot from across the map in the blink of an eye, they could do it without aiming or even facing away from you. They also came in large groups, so even if you can out-snipe one (hard enough in itself) there are usually several more about to insta kill you. And they can ricochet their beams off walls.

"Sniper Alley" in the second level has at least eight, enough so that on harder difficulties there's virtually no chance the marines following you will survive, even if you can get past them.

bloody hell so true, fucking **** lickers were just too damn OP for their spot in the covenant, they were one step above grunts dammit, ACT LIKE IT >_<

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
A thread about snipers and no one has mentioned Craig Boone yet?

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
madwarper said:
A thread about snipers and no one has mentioned Craig Boone yet?
Got to agree. Boone is the sole reason I missed half of the followers in Fallout: New Vegas, because once you have him, what's the point?

And for the sake of old times, I think I'll throw in Captain MacMillan from Call of Duty 4. Best mission in the best game of the series. Plus he's Scottish.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
BrotherRool said:
To my shame I've never actually played MGS1 and MGS2/Peace Walker didn't really have one (although fighting those camouflaged snipers in Peace Walker was brilliant, having opponents actually stealth you not through cheating but good positioning clothes and camouflage in a stealth game was so much fun) and MGS4's was basically just a big Sniper Wolf reference. She was great in the Last Days of Foxhound webcomic but that's my only real experience with her :(
Well if this mgs1 remake happens you may yet get a chance :)

Great boss for the time but like most of the combat in mgs1 - hasn't aged that well. Still iconic though.