Best thing your country ever did.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
octafish said:
ace_of_something said:
Invented the blues. (and therefore Rock and Roll)
Which african nation are you from?
Oooooh. I'm soooOOOoo impressed. You sure told me.

Yeah, blues: not invented in africa. Certainly they trace roots from the tribal songs and the soul songs of african and african decended slaves. But Blues itself was INVENTED HERE.

If you want to use that logic. Then everything was invented in the cradle of civilazation.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Permanently solving the problem of food security that had plagued humanity for the 13,000 years since the dawn of civilization.

For all the talk of "fat Americans", we feed the world and overfeed ourselves. Every society before us would have killed to have the problem of overabundance.

I wrote a paper on it for a class---you can read it here. [http://cpabyforty.blogspot.com/2010/04/let-big-dog-eat.html] 1600 words, so if you're the type of illiterate who says "tl;dr" whenever you have to read anything longer than a Twitter post you might want to stay away.

Mucinex-D

Jan 19, 2010
Wahful said:
The Delorean! What a piece of shit! But what other countries made a car that time traveled!

We also built the titanic, But not our fault it sunk!
Actually they think the titanic sunk so fast due to a bad design in the part that allowed the boat to bend in the middle. Also it was the captains fault for going so fast...

My country invaded the middle east. TAKE THAT COMMIES! But seriously I think my countries greatest thing it has done is teach those snooty brits what's what during the revolution. Okay okay seriously I actually am quite proud of dethroning Saddam. Also our contributions to WW2 (took us long enough though right?), and being a country that all other countries look up to, especially Europe...

America: being the best at everything since 1776.

Anyone who can't tell the last part is a joke needs a right good kicking.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
Hmm, well we birthed Jim Carrey (Canada) ..can't think of anything else..
Wait, I'm actually not entirely sure if Jim Carrey was born in Canada.

OH WAIT! We added cheese and gravy to french fires to create the poutine! They're pretty awesome. =D

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
The best thing America ever did? It produced the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. After that it's pretty much been downhill. I guess if it weren't for us yanks Stalin would have owned the world, but that's conjecture. Oh and George Carlin was from New York, so there's that.

Nifarious

Mar 15, 2010
we gave freedom to the world so many times it's hard to count.
(hah hah...just kidding)

To be honest, the 'one thing I'm most thankful for' is actually continental philosophy/thought/critical theory. Specifically Maurice Blanchot, whom I'd be very surprised if anyone knew. But alas, I'm not from France. All I have to work on is Poe, Gaddis, and West...which is all great fiction, but for thought, the US is a bit dry.

Eh, I'm an English Grad guy, so feel free to ignore my quirkiness.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I wanted to say "invented recorded sound," but a Frenchman won that race, though he never did find a way to play back the recording. Also, I shouldn;t grant an antire country credit for any one man's invention, & all the greatest things I can think of are inventions & not group acts.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
an american invented the lightbulb. if it wasn't for joseph swann, we'd still be burning candles or going to bed at nightfall. also, our sudden inspirations would be way less shiny...

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
First thing that comes to my mind is that many great composers were born/lived here (Mozart, Bach, Beethoven,....)

We also gave birth to one of the most evil persons ever, but thats another story...

Mucinex-D

Jan 19, 2010
Karathos said:
Well, eh. One thing does spring to mind!

I'm a history buff and even I didn't know about that...
My mind... blown has it been.

I do remember hearing about it a bit. How the Finnish soldiers could move quickly across the ground due to their equipment while other soldiers had to trek through the snow. That along with their amazing hit and run tactics decimated invading forces. Though I may be thinking of another country.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
BlakBladz said:
Not kill anyone in the last 10 years.
Go Australia's pussy attitude :p hahaha

oh wait...No....We were forced to join in Americas shenanigans...Nevermind.

Nothing really.
your forgetting all the Australian inventions, e.g:
- pre-paid postage (1838)
- refrigerator (1856)
- first feature film (The Story of the Kelly Gang - 1906)
- electronic pacemaker (1928)
- rotary clothes line (1948)
- atomic absorption spectrophotometer (1952)
- ultrasound (1961)
- and Hugh Jackman (1968)

we may not kill as many people as other countries, but we make their lives easier
i never said it was bad. I have a friend with a massive pussy attitude and hes the smartest computer whizz ive ever met. haha

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
Well first there was that time when. Well You where there.
Then when we. You know what I'm talking about.