Best videogame soundtrack?

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for the Megadrive. Nothing quite reminds of me of my childhood as much as songs like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pYWdqJRy-dk&

One of the best soundtracks of any 16 bit game in my opinion.

Trilby

Sep 13, 2008
Not so much soundtrack, but one of the best users of sound as something integral to gameplay was the Thief series.

Soundtrack wise: WCII and WoW both have amazing soundtracks.
I don't get why so many people are so keen on the Halo soundtracks. They're good, sure, but not amazing in any way.

Also, can the song at the end of Portal count?

EDIT: How the hell did I forget Zelda?

Fink-rat

Oct 23, 2008
I think you're all just depressed because you haven't thought to say that Banjo Kazooie truly had the best soundtrack of all time. I mean especially considering it was one of the few instances where game makers before the Xbox/PS2/GCube era thought that using real instruments was a GOOD idea.

Best use of xylophone ever.

LucanDesmond

Oct 19, 2008
I haven't heard a GREAT soundtrack in years. Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and FF 6+7 had amazing soundtracks. Halo 3 was pretty well done, nothing spectacular though. Fable 2 is pretty good too. Fallout 3 is pretty interesting, with all of its old-timey songs.

titaniumwombat

Oct 17, 2008
LucanDesmond said:
I haven't heard a GREAT soundtrack in years. Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and FF 6+7 had amazing soundtracks. Halo 3 was pretty well done, nothing spectacular though. Fable 2 is pretty good too. Fallout 3 is pretty interesting, with all of its old-timey songs.
Yeah, Chrono Trigger was an incredible score. I also liked the OSTs from the Lunar games for SegaCD, brilliant games all around, imho.

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
World in Conflict has one of the best soundtracks I've heard in years; it nailed the cinematic side, and certain songs you can just listen to over and over again (Incursio, Bannon's Sacrifice, Remembering Sawyer) and they never get old.

Sim City 4 just had an abundance of incredible ambiance music, Deus Ex, Homeworld, Kingdom Hearts 2, Chrono Trigger was fantastic, the Max Payne theme song is all that game needed, Freespace 2, pretty much anything by Frank Klepacki; there's so much good gaming music out there.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
the halo soundtracks are good (only played halo: ce and halo 2 so i dunno bout 3) but its basically the same 2 themes presented differently.
For its sheer epicness and the fact that i listen to it on my ipod as well as wen im playing the game, it has to be the MGS4 soundtrack

Lemony

May 2, 2008
Katamari Damacy, hands down.
World of Warcraft has some decent soundtracks.

meece

Apr 15, 2008
Portals ending song - Still alive was awesome and easily the best ever ^^

Homeworld had some extremely well done stuff too.