Best videogame soundtrack?

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Ive made a top 10 list of soundtracks for the xbox actually. http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/277438.html
Also, there are a lot of other games like these:

Rayman 2 had an amazing score. It was like something you could get out of a disney movie. All the songs were interactive so it changed when something happened, and fit each stage perfectly.

Age of conan had a very good soundtrack too.

Red steel had a surprisingly awesome score that nailed the japanese theme perfectly. Slow and sweet karaoke songs, crazy jap rock/pop songs, spooky ninja music that sounds like something from an old fighting movie, it was all there.

Other mentions go to the main theme of super mario galaxy, prince of persia Sot, halo 2, 007: everything or nothing, crash twinsanity, max payne, burnout 3, psychonauts, king kong, gta vice city, and SSX blur and on tour.

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
My personal favourite soundtrack is and always will be that from Morrowind. However, I've taken a liking to the '50s music of Fallout 3.

MHunterZero

Nov 5, 2008
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future. Some of the most awesome music in gaming history.

vampyricvoid

Jul 24, 2008
GTA: Vice City takes the award from me.
However, that is not the only game worth mentioning.
I love the soundtracks to Oblivion, Shadow of the Colossus, and Ace Combat Zero.
If I was to make another prize, it would be for best original soundtrack (since Vice City doesn't have an original one), it would hands down go to Guild Wars: Eye of the North (Jeremy Soule is amazing with epic music).

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
MHunterZero said:
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future. Some of the most awesome music in gaming history.
Awesome and incredibly repetitive at the same time xD
Gormers1 said:
Ive made a top 10 list of soundtracks for the xbox actually. http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/277438.html
Watch and hear yourself.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Halo 2 and Halo 3 are the ones I listen to the most. Halo 2 has some awesome stuff with guitars, but overall doesn't have much depth. Halo 3 on the other hand... wow. The album is composed in a way that when you listen through it, it's like you're playing the game. The end pieces are the best ones... you really feel a sense of "it's all over". The Halo story is finally finished. It's an incredible soundtrack and easily gaming's best as far emotion and accomplishment goes.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Half Life series
The music and sometimes lack there-of makes the game realy immersive and awesomesauce

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (Avatar Tuner).

The best soundtrack I have ever heard in a video game, but that's because I like guitar driven music in games. Shoji Meguro effectively conveys the meloncholy of the world through the area themes, the boss themes are adrenaline enducing rock anthems and even the little themes (like the shop theme and save point theme) are nice. The best thing about the music? It suits the each of the situations you are in, the End Boss music is some of the most epic music I've heard in video games.

Some of my favourite tunes;
Muladhara (Area theme, DDS1)
Sahasrara (Area theme, DDS1)
Big Battle (Regular Boss theme, DDS1)
Hunting (Regular Battle theme, DDS1)
Hunting-Compulsion (Mini Boss theme, DDS1)
Hunting-Comrades (Another Mini Boss theme, DDS1)
Hari-Hara The Second Movement (Final Boss theme, DDS1)

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Breaking Benjamin and Incubus were awesome in Halo 2. I was hoping they'd be in Halo 3 :(

Of course Martin O'Donnell always kicks ass :D

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
For sheer comedy value I'd vote for the Katamari Damacy games :-D
For pure, awesome tunage I say the Wipeout 1 and 2 music (only Wipeouts I've played) and the tracks from Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer Revolution games.
Honourable mention also goes to the C&C series for Hell March :p

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
I am so conflicted...

My money is on Castlevanias Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow (They borrow from the SotN so much), and Katamari Damacy.

And seriously, who can be mad when you hear those opening "Na na nana" of Katamari?

Em-mental

Jan 16, 2008
I'm surprised that no-one has said Super Mario Galaxy yet (at least I don't think anyone has) so it'll be mine.

N.K

Aug 19, 2008
Diablo, the Tristram music is just great, great, great.

Lost Odyssey had some great stuff in it as well.

the credit music in Mass Effect is great and was pretty unexpected, I was expecting some run-of-the-mill epic space-music and instead I got great music!

Deschamps

Oct 11, 2008
I absolutely loved the soundtrack in Braid. The music was not only great to begin with, but it gets better when you manipulate time, especially at the end when you're able to slow down time with the ring.

I'm a little obsessed with telling people how great this game is...

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
For me it has to be Golden Sun, with it's fast paced battle theme, haunting music of sol sanctum and the heroic theme of Venus Lighthouse it was incredible to listen to, the amazing thing was it was GBA audio and it still sounded epic.