Best visual Movie with a poor story

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
Alien 3 was visually awesome but othewise godawful.

And to whoever said Redline? YES. That movie made almost no sense at all, but looked AWESOME. I wanna be Lynchman when I grow up.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Hmm. There's a lot of these..

The Avengers (raises flame shield)
Transformers 1, 2, and 3
Prometheus
Immortals

These all of great visuals and mediocre to shit stories.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Anastasia and Atlantis both come to mind, though I do love both of them still.
It didn't really have a bad "story" but the 2004 Phantom of the Opera. There was just so much wrong with that film, yet the visuals were utterly spectacular.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, perhaps? Granted, I've never seen it front to back in one sitting, and I still wouldn't classify the story as terrible, but it did come off as a bit scattered at times and the big reveal came off as too over the top to have the desired impact (not at all helped by how petty this made Anton's actions seem in the context[footnote]
Exposing Tony under any other circumstances would have been well and good. Exposing him simply for the sake of an 'I told you so' or turning Valentina against him while he's trying to win the bet for Parnassus that would save her unfortunately just comes off as childish, which I feel does little to help the story.
[/footnote]). The high concept was interesting enough, but I'm not so sure about the execution. Though again: that could just be due to how I've never seen it all at once.

aba1 said:
Fantasia ohh ya I went there :p
Which one? Fantasia, or Fantasia 2000? (I know enough people who refer to both by the same title that I have to ask)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Asita said:
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, perhaps? Granted, I've never seen it front to back in one sitting, and I still wouldn't classify the story as terrible, but it did come off as a bit scattered at times and the big reveal came off as too over the top to have the desired impact (not at all helped by how petty this made Anton's actions seem in the context[footnote]
Exposing Tony under any other circumstances would have been well and good. Exposing him simply for the sake of an 'I told you so' or turning Valentina against him while he's trying to win the bet for Parnassus that would save her unfortunately just comes off as childish, which I feel does little to help the story.
[/footnote]). The high concept was interesting enough, but I'm not so sure about the execution. Though again: that could just be due to how I've never seen it all at once.

aba1 said:
Fantasia ohh ya I went there :p
Which one? Fantasia, or Fantasia 2000? (I know enough people who refer to both by the same title that I have to ask)
Either or but for the sake of answering I will say the original cause I like it better :p

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Avata...no, too easy. Especially because I have a prettier movie in mind.

Brave was not a bad story, but it was pretty weak by Pixar standards. But the animation...my god I'm not sure ive seen a more pretty film. I would have called someone crazy if before seeing Brave, they said that I would find myself hypnotized by the animation of hair. Then, I watched Brave and was downright hypnotized. Also, the little girl version of Merida? Very nearly, "Awww"ed out loud in the theater. So adorable, I just can't help it. Superb visuals. If only the story was as good as Up or Finding Nemo.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Transfomers 2 had a lot of good CG (tech-wise, but the action still looked like shit because of poor execution) and the story was putrid. One of the worst movies in recent history.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
Avata...no, too easy. Especially because I have a prettier movie in mind.

Brave was not a bad story, but it was pretty weak by Pixar standards. But the animation...my god I'm not sure ive seen a more pretty film. I would have called someone crazy if before seeing Brave, they said that I would find myself hypnotized by the animation of hair. Then, I watched Brave and was downright hypnotized. Also, the little girl version of Merida? Very nearly, "Awww"ed out loud in the theater. So adorable, I just can't help it. Superb visuals. If only the story was as good as Up or Finding Nemo.
This, this, a thousand times this. Her hair is insanely amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if the budget for Merida's hair alone was seven figures. It's just mesmerizing.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Breaker deGodot said:
jackpackage200 said:
The Fall

The Fall has an excellent story! It's just that most people focus entirely on the fantasy aspect, and completely ignore the real life part.
Glad to see someone besides me had to defend The Fall. Such a good film.

T4FF3R

Mar 22, 2011
I disagree with Hero and The Fall. They're two of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen, but I wouldn't say their stories were bad. I think the problem is the narrative structure is quite different from the typical flow of story found in most Western movies.

Hero had a great story, but I believe its subtleties were lost on a lot of people. I thought it was one of the best tragedies I've ever seen come out of China.

The Fall's story was easy to lose with all the crazy images on screen. The story Roy was telling was meant to keep a young child entertained. The Masked Bandit story didn't flow very smoothly; it was full of ridiculous characters and a barely coherent plot. IT IS NOT THE PLOT FOR THE FILM. It was basically just there to show some AMAZING visuals. The character drama of Roy IS interesting and emotional. This man is physically and emotionally broken and he doesn't think he has anything left to lose. The movie is about his struggle with severe depression following his on-set accident. (I'd also note that I don't remember them revealing exact details of the accident, but it's possible he was recklessly trying to impress his ex-girlfriend who left him for the movie's star or it may have been a suicide attempt due to the breakup)

ANYWAY... I've seen two movies in the last year that were visually amazing with poor stories.
Prometheus and Immortals.

Prometheus might have seemed smart since it was packed to the gills with symbolism (some subtle and some slapping you in the face), but the characters' actions were so illogical that they destroyed the entire experience. I could rant all day, but I'll just say that being crushed by a rolling space doughnut is the most embarrassing death I could imagine.

Immortals was directed by Tarsem Singh, the same guy that did The Fall. Immortals was the opposite of The Fall in that it was all CGI and no subtlety. The movie still looked great (Freida Pinto looked AMAZING), but the story was terrible.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
9 (the CGI animated movie) had an amazing visual style to it, yet the story was pretty thin, and only served to set up action sequences.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
A scanner darkly comes to mind. Great visuals... but honestly I can enjoy the film just as much with the sound off as with it on. I dont know if its so much the stories fault as much as it is the poor execution.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
T4FF3R said:
Immortals was directed by Tarsem Singh, the same guy that did The Fall. Immortals was the opposite of The Fall in that it was all CGI and no subtlety. The movie still looked great (Freida Pinto looked AMAZING), but the story was terrible.
I feel like Immortals wasn't even trying to be more than pretty. I dunno I could be wrong on that.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Wakikifudge said:
The Avengers (raises flame shield)
I actually agree with you on that one.
The story is very basic, the villain is not very interesting, but the best part about the movie is how the characters interact.

gaiusimperator

Apr 4, 2010
Bladerunner. It was beautiful, but it didn't really have a story. Things happened in it, but no plot.

But god damn, was it a beautiful movie.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Ah, forgot one. Origin: Spirits of the Past. For those unfamiliar with it, here's the opening:

It's a very pretty movie...but I can describe much of the conflict in one word. *ahem* "TOOOOLAAAA!"