Beta Feedback Thread

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Screenshot?
Not sure how to embed images.

If I click the hyperlink in the first screen it takes me to the second one.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Not sure how to embed images.

If I click the hyperlink in the first screen it takes me to the second one.
Hm, maybe try clearing your cookies and see if that solves it. That’s a bug I’ve seen but not be able to replicate.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I have had a terrible time this morning trying to post and edit posts without constant errors. It chopped off part of my post mid paragraph in one and would not allow me to edit it to correct it so I had to post the finished paragraph in another post and in another thread, it would not allow me to add a link in one post that was a reply, but then would allow me to do it in a separate post.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I have had a terrible time this morning trying to post and edit posts without constant errors. It chopped off part of my post mid paragraph in one and would not allow me to edit it to correct it so I had to post the finished paragraph in another post and in another thread, it would not allow me to add a link in one post that was a reply, but then would allow me to do it in a separate post.
That one I think I stumbled upon earlier in the Escapist Cookbook thread. To make a long story short, there's a character count limit for posts, and your post may have run over the limit.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I agree with Asita, I think it was because of the Quotes, since I did see the post I think you're talking about it, it's not a great solution but maybe deleting content from inside the quote box could help avoid this problem.

I'm guessing though, but I did have a similar problem the other day, and while I ended up opting not to comment at all, it was post that had a lot of quotes.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Not sure how I missed it, but is there a plan to have a Help & Advice sub-forum?
I hope not. The best place to post if you wanted your question ignored was the advice subforum, if you actually wanted people to see your question you posted it in Off Topic. I even got a warning from whats-his-face, before Nick, for pointing that out to people. I'm still bitter about that because that was the best advice I could have given to someone looking for advice.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I hope not. The best place to post if you wanted your question ignored was the advice subforum, if you actually wanted people to see your question you posted it in Off Topic. I even got a warning from whats-his-face, before Nick, for pointing that out to people. I'm still bitter about that because that was the best advice I could have given to someone looking for advice.
Horses for courses, I suppose.

Posting an earnest request for advice in OT will invariably invite lots of tongue-in-cheek or ill considered responses, which is fine if the topic and the OP can, at the moment of posting, tolerate it. Time was, the Advice sub-forum brought pretty regular traffic (IMO, the era of Aylaine, around 2013-ish, was the peak, before her accident, which in fairness may as well be 1913 as far as we, now, are concerned) and serious issues got serious thought, even if it meant suggesting seeking advice from corners of the world better suited to helping rather than asking a bunch of gaming nerds, but sometimes, people just wanted (what passes for) consequence free interaction from people who were, for the most part, willing to provide it without cost. *shrug*

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Horses for courses, I suppose.

Posting an earnest request for advice in OT will invariably invite lots of tongue-in-cheek or ill considered responses, which is fine if the topic and the OP can, at the moment of posting, tolerate it. Time was, the Advice sub-forum brought pretty regular traffic (IMO, the era of Aylaine, around 2013-ish, was the peak, before her accident, which in fairness may as well be 1913 as far as we, now, are concerned) and serious issues got serious thought, even if it meant suggesting seeking advice from corners of the world better suited to helping rather than asking a bunch of gaming nerds, but sometimes, people just wanted (what passes for) consequence free interaction from people who were, for the most part, willing to provide it without cost. *shrug*
Oh yeah, for sure. If you can get the traffic a dedicated advice forum is the way to go. I don't think we're anywhere near that point again, yet. Questions on the old site would go for weeks before getting a single response.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Oh yeah, for sure. If you can get the traffic a dedicated advice forum is the way to go. I don't think we're anywhere near that point again, yet. Questions on the old site would go for weeks before getting a single response.
Regrettably, that does indeed appear to be the case, and I would have to concede that once the old Advice Forum no longer had a dedicated mod, it pretty much faded away, which is a pity, but eh, things change as they do. :(

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
To be completely honest, with the pandemic and all the Premium stuff we've been doing, I've not had a chance to dig into that and most likely won't till post-June after our Indie Showcase is done.
Just a reminder, it is now post-June.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Just a reminder, it is now post-June.
Refresh me, is this amending the rules about GG discussion? Because that's what my reply is referring to in that case and making sure that rule covers splinter groups.

As for how things are going right now, nobody's really raised concerns about the rules we have in place and we get very few reports currently. It's on my to do list.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Refresh me, is this amending the rules about GG discussion? Because that's what my reply is referring to in that case and making sure that rule covers splinter groups.

As for how things are going right now, nobody's really raised concerns about the rules we have in place and we get very few reports currently. It's on my to do list.
Yes, I was referring to that, but also a discussion/evaluation of the rules as a whole, mentioned in posts 39-42. I asked "Will there ever be a proper time and/or place to give feedback on the rules?" and you said "Yes". Concerns were also expressed in post #47.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I've noticed people leaving rude messages on other people's profile pages. Seems like a potential window for abuse.

Topaz

Surprise Mechanic
Legacy
Mar 31, 2020
I've noticed people leaving rude messages on other people's profile pages. Seems like a potential window for abuse.
Report those if you see any. They're subject to the same rules as forum posts.

Additionally, you can disable comments on your own profile by going to your privacy settings and changing who can "Post messages on your profile page"
So if anyone has concerns, they might like to do this.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
When you block someone here, can that person see that you've blocked them when replying to you?

Also, do you continue to get notifications when they reply?

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Is there a way to do a search for a specific user profile? I'm not really seeing how.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Did we add a fucking swear filter? Wait...fucking isn't caught by the swear filter but (female dog) is caught by the swear filter? Hell. Ass. Shit. Fuck.

None of those swear words are being filtered out obviously...

***** (female dog). I also typed The N Word (and used the preview to see what would happen because I wasn't about to test that out by actually saying it in a post :D) and that is also filtered out. I've tried out a number of...less than savory words and the B Word and the N Word are at least the only ones I discovered being automatically blocked.

EDIT: Oh, The C Word is also blocked so three so far I've found.

Is this supposed to be happening? Or is something going wrong with the forum?

Reactions: Drathnoxis