Bethesda Admits Missing Skyrim DLC Isn't Sony's Problem

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Crono1973 said:
Zagzag said:
cerebus23 said:
If they sold it for the ps3 it should work on the ps3, if it does not they should fix it or refund it simple as that imo.
Crono1973 said:
No, the hardware is standardized but there is no promise that it will be easy to develop for. If Bethesda is going to sell games on any console, it is their responsibility to ensure that it works. Blaming Sony is silly and Bethesda knows that too.
This is exactly what they are doing. They have decided not to (yet) release the DLC for the PS3 because it won't work. Would you rather they release it anyway, and have to put up with the same shitstorm they got when people discovered the save file issue on the PS3 in the first place? Given that the way their game's engine works, adding extra plugins will definitely increase the PS3 lag issues, and I'm not convinced that this can actually be solved.

The problem that they were having in the first place was the ever increasing save file sizes taking up too much RAM, and therefore causing lag. Since installing plugins (mods or DLC) on the PC increases the game's RAM usage, it would be natural to assume that this also happens on consoles. Due to the RAM architecture on the PS3 this would probably make the game nigh unplayable right off the bat, even if your save file isn't exactly huge. I'd very much like to be proven wrong, but I suspect that there just isn't enough RAM on a PS3 to run Skyrim + DLC.
Which is why they shouldn't have released Skyrim on the PS3 in the first place. PS3 owners paid the same $60 for an inferior product compared to the PC and 360 versions. Bethesda had known about this problem with their engine long before they decided to release Skyrim on the PS3.

I think they should be offering exchanges to Skyrim PS3 owners.
If they didn't release Skyrim on the PS3 they would be getting an even BIGGER shitstorm, and it would last a hell of a lot longer. Just like Transformers Fall Of Cybertron did when Highmoon said it wasn't going to be released for the PC. They eventually gave in and released it, and that particular version i believe has the most problems. Yet it is their fault that fans bitched and whined.

Either way, Bethesda would get thousands of screaming fans so they decided to keep a good few thousand happy that Skyrim was at least released on the PS3.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Well... I wouldn't exactly say I'm "missing" it. rdrr
Seriously though, the Skyrim dlc has been pretty lame so far; it's surprising that many people are upset about it.

I'm amazed that they actually released Hearthfire on the pc where you can get mods that do the same thing, but better.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Crono1973 said:
cerebus23 said:
I seem to be quoted alot in this thread but i was just stating a simple point, i have skyrim for pc and i can barely play it just cause i dont like it much.

I have no first hand knowledge of how well it runs or does not run, just that if a company is going to sell a product they out to do everything they can in a timely manner to make sure it runs properly.

I have a ps3 i know it can do some amazing things and do it better than even the other system can, excluding pc, but it takes games nearly coded from the ground up to take proper advantage of how the ps3 likes to do things, sony is so damn stubborn with their cell and complex programming tools that it gets a bit tiresome, only real plus to it is it take 2 or 3 years for developers to squeeze every cycle and bit of ram out of that thing they can so games look that much better a year or few down the line.

But ports often suffer the worst out of all that complex coding and architecture.
So now we're complaining because the HD Twins aren't identical?
No but sony could make stuff more user friendly and ditch the cell all together. Especially in light of while the cell can do some rather wiz stuff that stuff is not that zomg better than the other console, and the box they built cannot really make use of all that nice blu ray space for hd textures since it simply cannot handle them. Another gen blu ray will pay off and we see those 40 gb disks finally be used for something.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Braedan said:
People need to stop complaining. If it wont run on the system, it wont run on the system. We don't get mad when Skryrim doesn't run on N64s.
But it wasn't released on the n64. However i don't know if you missed this, it was released on the ps3, and if it didn't run on the system it shouldn't of been released on the system.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
arc1991 said:
Crono1973 said:
Zagzag said:
cerebus23 said:
If they sold it for the ps3 it should work on the ps3, if it does not they should fix it or refund it simple as that imo.
Crono1973 said:
No, the hardware is standardized but there is no promise that it will be easy to develop for. If Bethesda is going to sell games on any console, it is their responsibility to ensure that it works. Blaming Sony is silly and Bethesda knows that too.
This is exactly what they are doing. They have decided not to (yet) release the DLC for the PS3 because it won't work. Would you rather they release it anyway, and have to put up with the same shitstorm they got when people discovered the save file issue on the PS3 in the first place? Given that the way their game's engine works, adding extra plugins will definitely increase the PS3 lag issues, and I'm not convinced that this can actually be solved.

The problem that they were having in the first place was the ever increasing save file sizes taking up too much RAM, and therefore causing lag. Since installing plugins (mods or DLC) on the PC increases the game's RAM usage, it would be natural to assume that this also happens on consoles. Due to the RAM architecture on the PS3 this would probably make the game nigh unplayable right off the bat, even if your save file isn't exactly huge. I'd very much like to be proven wrong, but I suspect that there just isn't enough RAM on a PS3 to run Skyrim + DLC.
Which is why they shouldn't have released Skyrim on the PS3 in the first place. PS3 owners paid the same $60 for an inferior product compared to the PC and 360 versions. Bethesda had known about this problem with their engine long before they decided to release Skyrim on the PS3.

I think they should be offering exchanges to Skyrim PS3 owners.
If they didn't release Skyrim on the PS3 they would be getting an even BIGGER shitstorm, and it would last a hell of a lot longer. Just like Transformers Fall Of Cybertron did when Highmoon said it wasn't going to be released for the PC. They eventually gave in and released it, and that particular version i believe has the most problems. Yet it is their fault that fans bitched and whined.

Either way, Bethesda would get thousands of screaming fans so they decided to keep a good few thousand happy that Skyrim was at least released on the PS3.
Skyrim was released on the PS3 so you will never know how people would have reacted if it hadn't been. However, there is a possibility that people would realize no port is better than a bad port that could never get the DLC.

If Bethesda had said before launch that the PS3 version would have framerate problems and that it wouldn't get the DLC (like Oblivion), how many would have given $60 for it?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
cerebus23 said:
Crono1973 said:
cerebus23 said:
I seem to be quoted alot in this thread but i was just stating a simple point, i have skyrim for pc and i can barely play it just cause i dont like it much.

I have no first hand knowledge of how well it runs or does not run, just that if a company is going to sell a product they out to do everything they can in a timely manner to make sure it runs properly.

I have a ps3 i know it can do some amazing things and do it better than even the other system can, excluding pc, but it takes games nearly coded from the ground up to take proper advantage of how the ps3 likes to do things, sony is so damn stubborn with their cell and complex programming tools that it gets a bit tiresome, only real plus to it is it take 2 or 3 years for developers to squeeze every cycle and bit of ram out of that thing they can so games look that much better a year or few down the line.

But ports often suffer the worst out of all that complex coding and architecture.
No but sony could make stuff more user friendly and ditch the cell all together. Especially in light of while the cell can do some rather wiz stuff that stuff is not that zomg better than the other console, and the box they built cannot really make use of all that nice blu ray space for hd textures since it simply cannot handle them. Another gen blu ray will pay off and we see those 40 gb disks finally be used for something.
So you want them to drop the cell right now, in the middle of a generation? That's not possible and from what I hear the PS2 was a ***** to program too, didn't hurt it though. I know, you are suggesting Sony should have had a crystal ball before the PS3 so they could see the future.

Your Blu-Ray issue misses the point, Sony was using the PS3 to push Blu-Ray, not the other way around.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Braedan said:
People need to stop complaining. If it wont run on the system, it wont run on the system. We don't get mad when Skryrim doesn't run on N64s.
Than they shouldn't have released the game for that system, they didn't release Skyrim for the N64 they did for the PS3 that's the difference if they can't make it run issue a recall.

If you can't make it run don't step up to the plate that simple.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Ivan Carvalho Carli said:
The Bethesda admitted, or ~ was kindly recommended to admit it ~?
Either way they're just admitting the obvious, it was apparent out the gate that it wasn't optimized properly.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
disgruntledgamer said:
Crono1973 said:
Oblivion never got the DLC on the PS3, this is an old problem that Bethesda has been aware of for years.
Um Yes yes it did, where did you hear that it didn't?
No it didn't. I quote myself from earlier on this very page.
Shivering Isles was an expansion and part of the GOTY as was Knights of the Nine. There is lots of DLC not included in that:

- Fighters Stronghold
- Horse Armor
- Mehrunes Razor
- Orrery
- Spell Tomes
- Thieves Den
- Vile Lair
- Wizards Tower

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Crono1973 said:
cerebus23 said:
Crono1973 said:
cerebus23 said:

So you want them to drop the cell right now, in the middle of a generation? That's not possible and from what I hear the PS2 was a ***** to program too, didn't hurt it though. I know, you are suggesting Sony should have had a crystal ball before the PS3 so they could see the future.

Your Blu-Ray issue misses the point, Sony was using the PS3 to push Blu-Ray, not the other way around.
Obviously not but as market opens up more to varied devices streaming gaming and the like and those things mature if sony runs the ps4 as they have been ps1 only game in town, and ps2 first, ps3 was dead last and how many former sony only devs were suddenly developing for xbox 360 because the sony never got out of the gate well and shot itself in the foot trying to do the same old same old that worked in the previous gens.

xbox became the lead platform it had a better install base most everywhere but japan and then the ps3 became the console you ported stuff over to, xbox used simple direct x unreal etc tools that everyone in the industry is familiar with, then you cut the resolution down and slap it onto the ps3 because the ps3 does not do well with ports.

If ps3 was first again if it had a big lead if it had all those developers locked up then it could have replicated the greatness of the ps2, as it is now it is the low man on the totem pole and people as a whole are not going to be arsed to bother to learn sonys convoluted coding tools that they typically have to send technicians out to teach developers how to use, i mean lets be realistic.

Hard to believe i like sony isnt it? :p I think they still have the better games even tho they lost many of their old stand bys. I think they take more chances and therefore make more interesting games in general. And i like that they dont rip people off for online something pc gamers never had to pay for outside their internet costs. MS comes along and oh no you want to play you have to pay, insult to injury is how people tend to behave on xbl chat and your paying for all that wonderful goodness.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
cerebus23 said:
Crono1973 said:
cerebus23 said:
Crono1973 said:
cerebus23 said:

Obviously not but as market opens up more to varied devices streaming gaming and the like and those things mature if sony runs the ps4 as they have been ps1 only game in town, and ps2 first, ps3 was dead last and how many former sony only devs were suddenly developing for xbox 360 because the sony never got out of the gate well and shot itself in the foot trying to do the same old same old that worked in the previous gens.

xbox became the lead platform it had a better install base most everywhere but japan and then the ps3 became the console you ported stuff over to, xbox used simple direct x unreal etc tools that everyone in the industry is familiar with, then you cut the resolution down and slap it onto the ps3 because the ps3 does not do well with ports.

If ps3 was first again if it had a big lead if it had all those developers locked up then it could have replicated the greatness of the ps2, as it is now it is the low man on the totem pole and people as a whole are not going to be arsed to bother to learn sonys convoluted coding tools that they typically have to send technicians out to teach developers how to use, i mean lets be realistic.

Hard to believe i like sony isnt it? :p I think they still have the better games even tho they lost many of their old stand bys. I think they take more chances and therefore make more interesting games in general. And i like that they dont rip people off for online something pc gamers never had to pay for outside their internet costs. MS comes along and oh no you want to play you have to pay, insult to injury is how people tend to behave on xbl chat and your paying for all that wonderful goodness.

Your post was incomprehensible. I am sorry but I am just guessing with my answer because I can't make heads or tails out of what you are trying to say. Commas are your friend.

Anyway, this is Bethesda's fault, not Sony's. Somy releases a console and it's up to developers to either make games for it or not and if they choose the former, they need to make sure the games work competently. This is Bethesda's failure and even they admit that. Atleast Bethesda is honest in that regard.

Bethesda knew from Oblivion that they would run into this problem but they went ahead and released it on the PS3 anyway, at the same price as PC and 360. Now, PS3 owners bought an inferior product and they will likely never get the DLC.

I repeat, it isn't Sony's fault when developers make bad ports! Sony released a console and the specs of that console have not changed.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
It. Is. A. Bethesda. Game.

Bethesda games are buggy on all platforms. Always.
If you make products that are buggy, of course on a platform that's more difficult to work with, they will be more buggy.

Yes, it's Bethesda's fault, but why are people surprised when their games don't work?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Danceofmasks said:
It. Is. A. Bethesda. Game.

Bethesda games are buggy on all platforms. Always.
If you make products that are buggy, of course on a platform that's more difficult to work with, they will be more buggy.

Yes, it's Bethesda's fault, but why are people surprised when their games don't work?
Why are people so accepting of it? People expect something they drop $60 for to work, people that are accepting of games not working are the problem.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
To be honest, I'm just waiting for the 'we can't do this, sorry' announcement. I'm not mad or anythin', kind of sucks but hey, what can ya do?

The issue (probably) goes along with save file issues, which goes along with the PS3's split ram issue. So, I'd imagine Bethesda would have to rework their saving mechanisms in-order to get it to work, which probably requires a-lot of work, or work-arounds.

I'd imagine they would have released it but Sony[footnote]Not that is bad, I wouldn't want to buy DLC and have it completely ruin my files, wreck my frame-rate or something[/footnote] is kind of stickler for stuff, considering the ME3 MP events.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Lucem712 said:
To be honest, I'm just waiting for the 'we can't do this, sorry' announcement. I'm not mad or anythin', kind of sucks but hey, what can ya do?

The issue (probably) goes along with save file issues, which goes along with the PS3's split ram issue. So, I'd imagine Bethesda would have to rework their saving mechanisms in-order to get it to work, which probably requires a-lot of work, or work-arounds.

I'd imagine they would have released it but Sony[footnote]Not that is bad, I wouldn't want to buy DLC and have it completely ruin my files, wreck my frame-rate or something[/footnote] is kind of stickler for stuff, considering the ME3 MP events.

...and Bethesda knew about these problems before they decided to put Skyrim on the PS3.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:
Braedan said:
Than they shouldn't have released the game for that system, they didn't release Skyrim for the N64 they did for the PS3 that's the difference if they can't make it run issue a recall.

If you can't make it run don't step up to the plate that simple.

I Can't respond to every time I've been quoted about this because I would be here all night but I will say this:

It seems to me that Skyrim does run on the PS3. It would be a much bigger deal if it didn't. But we're talking about DLC here, which DOESN'T run on the PS3, because it can't handle it.

This isn't me being an Xbox fanboy, I own a PS3 and a PC. I would just rather have no DLC than super shitty DLC.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Ok Bethesda, sit down for a second lets chat. Let me ask just one very simple question. WHY did you not just test the PS3 version of the game before shoving it in stores?!?!?!?! I could care less if the DLC will ever hit the PS3, I just want to know why you don't bother to test your own games?! Its mind numbing!!!