Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
My PC probably can't play it, I can't afford a subscription and I've go too much other stuff to do.

Won't be buying, but not because I wouldn't quite like to.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
This appears to be being made by a different, team, so I guess that means it won't affect the main series at all. That means I don't give a flying fuck about this, at all. But if it somehow delays the next proper TES game I will flip my shit.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Well, there goes another game franchise I cared about. When keeping up with the storyline of the series involves investing time relative to that of, I dunno, a job, it ceases being worthwhile.

Now, a primarily single-player Edler Scrolls with the option of the overworld being a scaled MMORPG and electing to take friends (or chosen stragers) with you into the regular game instances... that'd be interesting.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I'm interested to see how this will turn out.
Will they break the mold in any way?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
rhizhim said:
KeyMaster45 said:
And thus Blizzard shat its collective pants. I'd been unable to think of any property that might be able to eclipse WoW in MMO success. I believe that TES is that property as it has alot of the same things going for it that WoW had at the start.

[li]A robust mod community[/li]

mods in a mmo? are you drunk?
Modders are likely to become addon authors if the game allows it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I'm not sure what to expect. Could TES-style levelling and combat work in an online realm? Could it be compelling enough to maintain interest for a long time? It needs to avoid being a generic MMO.

However, this could be bad for the main series. This had better well be parallel to single-player TES and not a replacement. If Bethesda say they're done with traditional TES games I will EXPLODE.

Hammeroj said:
Don't care. If it's anything at all like Skyrim, probably won't care when the game's being released, either.
KeyMaster45 said:
And thus Blizzard shat its collective pants. I'd been unable to think of any property that might be able to eclipse WoW in MMO success. I believe that TES is that property as it has alot of the same things going for it that WoW had at the start.

• [li]A rabid fanbase[/li]
    [li]A robust mod community[/li]
    [li]A developer with a long history of high quality games[/li]

I'll be watching with interest to see if Bethesda can manufacture the fabled WoW killer the peasantry has spoken of in whispered legends for the last 8 years.
Just like TORtanic did, amirite?

Seriously, just stop it with these talks of a WoW killer. WoW has barely been affected at all by any of its supposed killers, and there's zero reason to think this will be any different. If anything, BioWare had a more rabid fanbase (than Bethesda), and the game they made was part of easily one of the biggest media franchises. Take a hint, WoW isn't going down except on its own, and it's doing just that as we speak, slowly bleeding away customers.
The difference is, TES has a similar setting to WoW and recently had a big hit game with what is it, at least 10 million sales? TOR was never going to be a WoW killer because people wanted a traditional fantasy setting.

If it's done well, I can see TES online being to WoW what Facebook was to Myspace. However, resentment towards creeping MMO-isation could cause it to flop.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
this is going to be so bad

the combat in bethesda games is fundamentally terrible

it really hasn't gotten any better since Arena and that is saying something

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
TheRightToArmBears said:
This appears to be being made by a different, team, so I guess that means it won't affect the main series at all. That means I don't give a flying fuck about this, at all. But if it somehow delays the next proper TES game I will flip my shit.
Thanks for pointing that out. Good news, then.

Knocker

Aug 4, 2010
Elate said:
So, this won't be the fabled WoW killer.
What people still fail to understand is that World of Warcraft doesn't need a "slayer". It will end up killing itself.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
cynicthnkr said:
My worst fears have a tendency to come true. Well at least fallout remains SP. (for now)
Its made by a different studio and set in the past so your single player elder scrolls are safe.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
John Funk said:
KeyMaster45 said:
I'll be watching with interest to see if Bethesda can manufacture the fabled WoW killer the peasantry has spoken of in whispered legends for the last 8 years.
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, because while this is a fantasy property beloved by gamers (an excellent seeding ground for an MMO, to be sure), TES Online is up against WoW with 8 years of content upgrades, streamlining, and development under its belt. That is quite literally an impossible hurdle to surmount. If *Star Wars* couldn't kill WoW, what chance does TES have?

WoW will slowly decline on its own over time. At this point, I remain skeptical that any game could ever dethrone it via force - maybe not even Blizzard's own "Titan" project.
Given that WoW's been slowly dying on its own since Cata, I think TES Online is a strong contender as the next big MOO, aslong as its done right.. Which it won't be, but a man can dream.

*Edit* Cos we're all waiting for the next big moo.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
If this means I can sneak into an enemy base and rattle off a few high level fury spells at merchants undetected because I spec'd appropriately into the Illusion Tree I may consider getting this. Otherwise I'll wait for TES: VI.

Getting killed by the NPC you're trying to sell your gear to would be great. "Stop selling me all your crap!"

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Sorry i just can't get excited for this i could live with a co-op element in a regular TES game but an MMO nah.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
DEATHROAD said:
Given that WoW's been slowly dying on its own since Cata, I think TES Online is a strong contender as the next big MOO, aslong as its done right.. Which it won't be, but a man can dream.
Agreed. TESO seems to be arriving with most of the advantages that helped WoW topple EQ: the previous MMO juggernaut is waning; they're using a well-loved and established setting which will help set it apart from others in the genre; and a hit game with the same IP was recently released so people.

The same can be said about SWTOR, but then the MMO market seems to be supporting multiple big titles at this point.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
If they can pull it off then the gaming industry may have finally dragged me into the world of MMO's. Fallout and this are the only ones that have even remotely interested me.

I'd still rather they added 2 player co-op to Skyrim, but meh.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I have no idea how they are going to make the combat system work, but im looking forward to this project.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Azuaron said:
Sigh.

I don't want to play Elder Scrolls online. I want to play Elder Scrolls BY MYSELF.

*grumpy old man*
You can play the MMO and yell at all the other players to get off of your lawn.