Bethesda Announces The Elder Scrolls Online

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Sleekit said:
pvp based fantasy mmorpg ? /yawn

it'll die a death.

calling it right here and now.

and if extra credits were still around they would tell you exactly why.

the market for the (fantasy mmorpg) genre is utterly saturated and the future of mmos does not lie in trying replicate old style wow like mmos and i don't care what franchise it is.

i mean comon sw:tor just spent 2-300 mill (depending on who you ask) trying to break into it with a fully voiced "AAA" mmo based on what can quite easily be called a cultural phenomena or modern myth rather than a mere "game franchise" (ie Star Wars) and came out the other side with under 2 mill subs ffs...

and it took them six years to get there...in six years half the people this game will be aimed at won't even know what Skyrim is.

besides which pvp focused mmos always have low, repeat low, numbers after initial release as the PK seeking locusts move on once they collectively come to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the game as they, being uber awesome, still somehow die (there isn't a pvp focused mmo in existence with more than 400k of a western playerbase...and that includes the doyens of the genre like EvE)

...that and the elder scrolls series lasting popularity between lengthy periodic releases is primarily built on being able to mod the games which is something that simply wont exist if it becomes an mmorpg.

Extra Credits is still around. They're on Penny Arcade.

Also, I think this will be a divisive game. It'll either be stupendous, or horrendous, with no middle ground.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Apparently
-The game has a hubless quest system

-Three factions
--Ebonheart pact: Nords, Dunmer, Argoanion
--Aldmeri dominion: Altmer, Bosmer, Khajiit
--Daggerfall Covenant: Orcs, Redguards, Bretons

-the Imperials are "badguys" work with the Tharn family and Manimmarco, Manimmaro is selling everyone out to Molag ball

-120 hours to reach level cap

-Werewolf plauge

-Your Character has had his soul taken by Molag ball, which is why you can come back to life if you "die"

-They take some of Gw2 mechanics were your weapons determine some of your skills, there is also doddging, skill combos, and other GW2isy things.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
Slightly off-topic:

M'aiq the Liar(Morrowind): "Multiplayer: 'M'aiq does not know this word. You wish others to help you in your quest? Coward! If you must, search for the Argonian Im-Leet, or perhaps the big Nord, Rolf the Uber. They will certainly wish to join you.'"

M'aiq the Liar(Oblivion): "M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk."

M'aiq the Liar(Skyrim): "Some like taking friends on adventures. M'aiq thinks being alone is better. Less arguing about splitting treasure."

M'aiq the Liar(TES Online): "Why do people not listen to M'aiq? Now look what they've done. M'aiq cannot end the arguing and stupid. M'aiq met a High Elf named Ex-KnifeEar-Ex...;stupid, stupid people.

On topic: I can imagine this being good, but at the same time, I feel a bit betrayed. TES has always been a single-player franchise even to the point of self-referential mockery. This, while it might actually be good, is a bit of a misstep, in my honest-to-heart opinion. Cooperative play should have at least been a first step before going all-out MMO. I have a "bad juju" feeling from this...

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Sleekit said:
and it took them six years to get there...in six years half the people this game will be aimed at won't even know what Skyrim is.
ZOS was founded in 2007, by the time TESO is released Skyrim will still be fresh in many RPGers' memories.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010
I wanted a chance to see a fallout mmo not a elder scroll mmo. This move might kill off the company canceling any and all fallout plans.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Hmm interesting... I'll def be checking this out when it comes around. But I've been wary of trying new MMOs after the god awful Warhammer one. This will be quite odd though if they keep it first person AND say Skyrim combat. Quite awkward if you ask me but we'll just have to see how this goes.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
bliebblob.exe has encountered an unexpected error and must be shut down...

*6 hours later*

Ok after some thought I'm pretty sure I want this to happen. After all, if it turns out poorly I can just you know... Not play it.
That said, please dont release it for at least 3 more years pretty please? And don't start dripfeeding info every few months either. Because with the current batch of new mmo's (tor, tera, gw2, secret world) I'm getting a kind of promising-info fatigue. I'd really like to just stop getting info and start playing one :S And whichever one I settle down with, I'd like to be "my mmo" for a good while. Not just something to do while I wait for this even more amazing game.

/first world problems

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Its gonna be for Mac?
That said,my computer would probably explode from the strain of playng it.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Preacher zer0 said:
Oroboros said:
This is the worst possibel thing that could happen to the Elder Scrolls. I definately will not be buying any further Elder Scrolls games
LMAO!

Wow...
I don't know what's so shocking about someone being upset about a singleplayer rpg series established in 1994 suddenly switching genres to go after the MMO crowd. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
The7Sins said:
rolfwesselius said:
The7Sins said:
Really? Well damn. Guess I'm not buying another Elder Scrolls game ever again. Shame they didn't announce this before I got Skyrim. Well @ least now I won't feel the need to spend money for its DLCs as this announcement has ruined the series and every game in it for me.
How the fuck does that work?
Bethesda is not even making the game!
Their still busy with their next game.
Point to where I even said Bethesda in my post. I know its technically another studio making it but there owned by the same parent company and this game s part of the Elder Scrolls series. as such now that an MMO is part of the series I'll no longer buy any of its games no matter who makes it.
Why? Do you have something against the existence of MMO's? Any studio who partakes is some kind of instant sellout? Please explain to me why this matters.

I probably won't be playing it for a long time. Meanwhile they'll continue to have great single player sandboxes for me to play in. What does it matter that there's an MMO?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Well I guess thats it.... TES will go the way of Warcraft. Can't say I didn't see this coming, I mean people were calling for this after oblivion. There was a time when we all thought Fallout 3 ( before it was announced to be fallout 3) was in fact a TES MMO. So yeah, not happy about it, but nor am I surprised.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
*Scratches Elder Scrolls off the list of franchises that haven't been fucked up by multiplayer* Such a shame.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
MorganL4 said:
Well I guess thats it.... TES will go the way of Warcraft. Can't say I didn't see this coming, I mean people were calling for this after oblivion. There was a time when we all thought Fallout 3 ( before it was announced to be fallout 3) was in fact a TES MMO. So yeah, not happy about it, but nor am I surprised.
ITS SET 1000 YEARS BEFORE SKYRIM!
Read the bloody article its even being made by another studio.
So the single player games will keep coming.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Why is everyone assuming that because ZENIMAX ONLINE is making a MMORPG, that BETHESDA will somehow fuck up future ES games.