Bethesda Hates Mages: 12 Reasons Magic in Skyrim Sucks

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
All very true I'm afraid, and honestly it's a lot like that in many RPGs including paper and pencil ones. As a guy using the handle "Therumancer" I'll be one of the first people to tell you that when it comes to fantasy games the general consensus is that magic sucks unless your an NPC villain using it on the heroes. Exceptions of course exist, but for the most part a pure wizard tends to get robbed.

In Elder Scrolls I believe the justification by the designers is that your supposed to be a hybrid, basically they expect everyone to have melee skills and magic and use a combination of the two. When you look at purist characters though, yes melee does stand better on it's own.

Of course it can be argued that this is also true of the older versions of D&D which inspired everything. Mages at low levels were pitiful, having one spell a day, otherwise they were fairly useless. When they gained power and got access to those really awesome seeming high level spells, they still tended to suck because as a general rule when you level up anything your likely to meet that is worthy of say a "meteor swarm" is going to be so packed full of magic resistance that it's likely to bounce off anyway... and anything that allows a saving throw you might as well forget about because again, enemy saves tend to get ridiculously low by that point. Academically it can be argued that say a 20th level magic can destroy hundreds of 1 hit die orcs more or less with a gesture, but as a player character how often is your GM going to pit you at 20th level against 1 hit die orcs, it's not considered to be a "level worthy challenge", you don't get any experience points, and the loot is trivial. What's more if you generally tell the GM "you know I think I'm going to head out and vaporize every lizard man in the Swamp Of Doom for payback over how they terrorized me when I was 3rd level" your likely to be labeled a time waster at best, and a munchkin at worse, not to mention really... what do you gain from it?

In comparison whacking stuff with a sword works at pretty much all levels, you don't generally worry about magic resistance, there is no saving throw against "stabbed in the face" and in general a fighter has enough hit points where he doesn't have to worry about high level encounters where a major demon whips out "power word kill" or "symbol of death" and outright obliterates anyone below X number of hit points (the guy who had the 1d4 for hit points with constitution as a secondary thing on the other hand, he does have to worry).

Then in WoW of course I found it lovely how after a while all ranged DPS could do as much damage as a mage if played correctly, while still being allowed to wear heavier armor (no, it's not as good as plate, but it's not bloody tissue either), still retain their healing spells, shapeshifting, backup melee, or whatever else. I haven't played for a while and hear they have changed things around a lot more, but really it was another game where I felt the same thing applied. A Shaman or Druid played correctly could whip out as much ranged magic DPS as a mage in many cases and do other stuff too.

Really, it would be nice if more games put the effort into making mages considerably more viable. Of course I think a big part of it in video games is that magic tends to be ability based, where melee and fighting tends to be gear based. This leads to a problem where it's easy to reward melee by clearly giving things that are more powerful. With mages you wind up with a case where you either have to make things equivalent to top end gear (raising the question as to how to reward the mage) or turn mages into more of a support thing which is what Elder Scrolls seemed to do. +spelldamage as seen in some MMOs was a step in the right direction, but tends to fall apart because it's very difficult to balance that kind of damage increases with all of the things that apply to mages. Not to mention how that can lead to the flip side of the equasion where "if a mage can do as much damage from 10 miles away, why would anyone want to play a fighter?".

When it comes to robes, I've always felt art departments need to get a little more creative with how mages dress to be honest. After a while it becomes hard to make robes look good... I think Cranius said it best... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUacWmunG0

(A classic for a reason)

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
I'm an armored mage I can offset my mana loss with an enchanted mask that gives me free magic with 100% replenish so as long as I look ugly in that thing I can cast all day but my powers aren't much better then my novice rank even though I'm archmage of winterhold you think at least gaining that would make your powers really strong but no.

consolidating the powers so double wield on any spell type makes it possible for all, once you upgrade any spell style to intermediate then all powers will slowly level till they naturally become intermediate as well unless you want to add in those points for a faster level advancement. Weak spell casting abilities when you reach zero so you at least can withdraw, and magic that grows stronger like the other classes could be a few upgrades they could do.

I really hate the friendly fire but I'm usually careful to notice where is my friend or move the enemy further away from npcs or aim up when in town so as to avoid setting people on fire or summon monsters to do ground work for me but even then me + the monster + my friend still can take time to clear out anything. I've actually had to leave my partner in the woods to go fight people sometimes as I'm casting 360 degree spells or fire walls and my dumb partner will rush into it! The game pretty much forces you to adopt some swordplay if you want to live but its also my natural style so to me it wasn't too bad once I knew how to work around my weaknesses but I wouldn't want to go 100% mage I would die even if I had a buddy way to much for the game to be fun. I never played much into morrowind it wasn't very interesting, I would say maybe they'll change the mage class for the better but if they've had such a track record so far I can't see them wanting to do that.

Kayar13

Feb 9, 2011
Man, that's weird. I played Skyrim up to level 54 or so almost entirely as a mixed assassin/destruction/restoration mage, and let me tell you, magic was what I always switched to when all else failed to do anything against my enemies. Sure, I could swing the Nightingale blade at a draugr scourge up close and personal all day, I have the level 100 one-armed stat to support that, but I can guarantee I'll take enough damage in the process to kill me thrice over if I'm not also healing with one hand at the same time. Who needs armor when your health refills itself? Or, rather than bother with using a weapon at all, I can snipe from far off with lightning storm and never take a hit while all around me becomes ash. Lightning storm also happens to be quite effective against dragons, they don't exactly get close enough to me to be an issue usually. On the subject of magicka costs... have you ever heard of Winterhold? It's this great little place up north where people refer to me as "Archmage" and I walk around wearing fancy robes and a mask called Nahkrin which together make everything fine and dandy. On the subject of time it takes to level, destruction was the very first skill I leveled to 100, and a shiny pair of gloves given to me also in Winterhold helped me level that up VERY quickly.

So, when you say that magic "sucks," could you perhaps verify what it is you actually mean exactly? Because I'm not quite understanding where you're coming from with that statement. Oh, and my illusion character is doing quite fine thank you, he doesn't meet many people though, because they're too busy running from him.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
THIS ARTICLE. This so damn much! Holy moly Bethesda but how you cannot care less for magic when most of the combat mechanics are already silly?

I made up a Breton on my first playthrough. I went for the Nightblade gameplay (Thief Mage) and realized that even with the strongest spells you still suck hard, you can't even deal the bonus stealth damage with magic and the quiet casting perk!!

Then I just went full thief and stopped bothering with my level 100 Destruction spells, yeah thats right I realized Archery is so much better than Destruction for long range AND mid range.

Being brutally honest after playing Dark Souls I realized that the combat mechanics of Skyrim are horrible overall (except for probably archery which can't be criticized a lot). But don't get me wrong I still play Skyrim (moded), I still think its a fun game with a nice lore.

I recommend Escapists to use the Apocalypse Spell Pack mod, otherwise you're not going to have a good time with magic and even that mod doesn't fixes it entirely... but it adds some spells the game deserved.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Tanis said:
THIS is why I prefer TES games on PC.

Mods make mages suck less.
Yup, the spellpower scaling mods were brilliant. They also made it so the spells were specialized in that a fire bolt would do more damage to a single target than a fireball but the ball would obviously have an AoE component.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
I didn't really like how they went with a "large mana pool, slow regeneration" style for the mages. Unlike my fighters or rogues, it always felt like every battle was on an egg timer where I had to remove the threat before it went off, or desperately run around trying to survive long enough to reset the timer again. Levels up and cost enchants lengthened the timer, but it was still there.

I'd have prefered a "small pool, constant regeneration" method, where charging or holding charged spells didn't stop the regeneration of mana, but took their cost from your reserves while charging, and perhaps leveling up the regeneration would increase the rate such that lower level spells would eventually be possible to cast while only slowing regeneration to pay their charge costs instead of draining from your reserves.

That would mean mages could open up with the big guns till the reserves are drained, then mix in some low cost spells while they recharged, then go back in swinging with a big blast again, and so on in a carefully managed cycle. That would have been more fun than emptying your mana on something, then spending the rest of the battle running in circles while waiting for enough mana to cast again.

Plus the "nursemaid" buff or summon spells that required constant recasting could be rewritten to something you applied to yourself with a specific drain on mana per second, rather than a x second duration, and have them drop off if your mana reserves ever empty. "do I go for this last fireball, and maybe end the fight, or stick to sparks and keep my armor?" kinda thing. More thought and strategy to the fight and less eggtimer.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
I really don't understand a lot of the issues brought up in this.

1. Yes, it's annoying, but if it wasn't magic would be stupidly broken.

2. Fair enough, but it is ultimately satisfying.

3. I think that "something reasonable" is a bit of an understatement. With proper perks, mage armor is amazing and as long as you know how long it lasts, it really isn't a problem.

4. Maybe it's just me, but I almost never put points into health.

5. True, but how exactly could this be fixed? I mean, if it was a close kill, I could see maybe grabbing an enemy's head and liquifying it with whatever brand magic you are using, but how exactly could you make distance kills interesting? (Besides, I love how the current kill cams often send enemies flying farther then they probably should be.)

6. Personal opinions aside, they do feel a bit lacking. Although, considering they have to compare to such things as Daedric and Dragonbone/Dragonscale, it is a bit of a losing battle.

7. Perhaps not, but it becomes easier to cast lots of the magic, which is an increase in damage still. Plus, going from firebolt to fireball does a lot more than one might think.

8 + 9. No, but it can be boosted by potions, along with duration for other spell types. (I personally only need them for boss fights.)

10. I can't speak for Oblivion or Morrowind, but Skyrim has a few perks spread among the skill trees that work for each other. Illusion has one that makes all spells silent (Fixing that loud mage armor problem.), Restoration has one that makes all spells work better against the undead, and Alteration has two perks that makes you less susceptible to spells. Also, sharing spell cost reduction would, again, break magic. Dual casting I could see being shared, but not cost reduction.

11. First, there are ways to make followers at least immune to magic damage. Also, use discretion. You wouldn't swing a sword while a guard was in the way, would you?

12. Completely and utterly wrong, unless you have no patience and/or are unwilling to try. I've played a pure mage, archer, and fighter in Skyrim, with no mods and avoiding exploits, on expert to master and I honestly find fighter to be the hardest. Distance makes combat immensely easy, plus you have to rely on the block skill to save you as a fighter (If you mess up a shield slam, it hurts). Archer is the best though.

Is magic in Skyrim perfect? No, I personally would like a bit more versatility.
Is magic in Skyrim bad? No, certainly not.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Not tried these much but Magic overhaul http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/29276/? and Apocalypse http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16225/? seem to fix that problem.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Lyri said:
I haven't played in a long time but I never ventured into the dremora dungeons because I left spell creation well alone, which is probably why I do not recall those things.
The character I rampaged through the game was a typical nord blunt warrior.
Fair enough :) Nord warrior's my favourite way to play The Elder Scrolls as well, just smashing through dungeons with a massive hammer - I'm actually playing through Arena right now for the first time with one, and it's surprisingly good!
I'm tempted to grab it and play it, I've always been a fan of the older games in the series. I should revists Oblivion first though, I never really played it much.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for this walk down memory lane. I played Skyrim for 2 months. No comment on how many hours Steam says I played, just that, when I saw it, at the end of the two months, I calculated the number of hours in a month for comparison.

On Topic: I mean if Skyrim played like D&D then maybe, okay, if all you ever use is destruction magic. But in Elder Scrolls you mix different class abilities together to create something awesome like a battle mage in plate with a two handed axe slinging lightning bolts and storm andronachs. That literally was my first character and he rocked. By the endgame he was just using magic both for weapons and armor.

My second character I attempted a more typical mage path from the start and, yeah, that didn't last long before--well I don't remember how I got by but other than letting my follower do the tanking for me, and always having andronachs and raising zombies. I mean if you don't use your follower, that is a lot of loot you have to carry by yourself. May as well use them during encounters.

Okay you're right destruction magic was weak if that is the only thing you ever use. But conjuration magic was crazy imba. When you get that ability to have two summonables, game over man, just sit back while your follower and summonables take care of business. Alteration magic isn't bad. Healing magic works. Raising zombies... sure. Disagree it is harder to play with a caster than a weapons character.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
He's 100% right here. With a few gold transmutes and a bit of smithing, I can easily level up any crap armor twice as much right along with whatever weapon I'm using. Hell, with potions and enchanting, you can create weapons that basically one shot everything in the game. And that's all before level right around level 35.....

Meanwhile, those little fireballs don't do shit when you have a dragon or (god forbid) a bear running at you. It's completely absurd.

Anyone who CHOOSES magic over the much more useful warrior class is do so out of boredom or want of a greater challenge.

The main issue is that there is only a handful of items that boost magic damage. I think I found a crown that boosts shock damage by %30 or some crap. Meanwhile, I have rings that make me do +40 2 hand AND another enchant on top of that which stacks with the Necklace/gloves enchants of the same...which means there's very few fights that give me trouble.

I hope they fix magic for the next ES game...and I don't mean that overpriced mmo.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I've never enjoyed the magic in The Elder Scrolls. The secondary magic skills are cool, but the destruction type spells are just awful. Firing slow moving projectiles at rapidly moving enemies is bad enough, but throw in a mana bar that runs out very quickly and you're just taking the piss. I've never made a character who used destruction as their primary means of attack: magic was always a backup to melee.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
I made a similar list myself:

1. You didn't mod it.
2. You didn't mod it.
3. You didn't mod it.
4. You didn't mod it.
5. You didn't mod it.
6. You didn't mod it.
7. You didn't mod it.
8. You didn't mod it.
9. You didn't mod it.
10. You didn't mod it.
11. You didn't mod it.

12. You're not using conjuration.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Yeah, I've always hated how TES handles magic.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of having all these cool different schools of magic, I don't want to lose that- but it's so much extra work to make a pure mage work.
I was really hoping they'd have scaled magic damage in Skyrim; the UI made it look like spell damage might change as you levelled up, but it's all static, just like the earlier games.

persephone

Poisoned by Pomegranates
May 2, 2012
And this is why the very first mod I ever installed was a magic scaling mod. And I installed it very early on, after I realized that magic didn't scale like your weapons do.

That said, if you install a magic scaling mod and know which spells you will and won't find useful (i.e., you've already experimented a lot with other characters), you *can* play a dedicated mage, and do fairly well. Is it harder than playing another character type? Oh yes. I actually played a "pure" mage through to level 30 recently, just as an interesting challenge. A friend of mine played a "pure" mage at the same time, but *without* the magic scaling mod. We both succeeded at our goals, but he had to be a hell of a lot more careful than I did, and last I heard he was still getting stomped by a lot of dragon battles.

As for balancing magic versus might, I wonder if part of the problem with Skyrim is that it condenses ALL melee weapons into two skill trees. In Morrowind and Oblivion, there were half a dozen or so different weapon skills, which was actually on par with how many magic skills there were. Skyrim also has fewer types of weapons than Morrowind and I think Oblivion (been too long since I've poked Oblivion to say for sure). I like a lot of things that Skyrim does better than Morrowind, but when I play Skyrim, I often find myself longing for Morrowind's rich variety of weapon choices. While it's convenient to be able to switch from playing a war axe to a sword without blinking in Skyrim, maybe it's actually *too* convenient. Maybe the next single player game in the series should re-expand the One and Two Handed trees into specific weapon types.

Of course, this would work a lot better if you could move perks around (say it costs you money, or you have to do it within so many levels of investing the perk); nothing sucks more than dropping a few perks into a specific weapon skill, only to realize you really would prefer a different weapon and you're never getting those perks back.

I suppose you could also condense the magic schools, in a similar vein to how the weapons were condensed, but that feels way too simplistic. (Though I do wish they'd condense Pickpocket back into Stealth; I've just never found it worth it to invest my precious perk points and time into *just* picking pockets.)

All this said, I almost never actually play "pure" characters; I like to mix things up. Almost every character I've played in Skyrim learns Restoration magic, for example. And once you add in a proper magic scaling mod to balance things up, a fighter with healing magic becomes a formidable force indeed! I generally only keep potions around as backup for when my magicka runs dry.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
"I first discovered this in Morrowind when I rolled a new fighter and killed my first foe in two or three hits. Then I rolled a mage and spent all my mana trying (unsuccessfully) to burn someone to death. Then I ran around in circles waiting for it to recharge,"

I'm going to guess you didn't actually play a thousand hours of Morrowind because if you had, you might realize that in the game that was given to us by the developers, magic didn't recharge just because you ran around. To wit, from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Magic

"Magicka can only be replenished by resting, using Restore Magicka, Spell Absorption or Absorb Magicka effects."

Also, my mages in Skyrim rocked it, dropping dragons with various forms of ice spikes.

Sep 13, 2009
I've always found magic in Oblivion and Skyrim incredibly boring. Just because of the nature of first person viewpoint everything feels like you're just firing special arrows at the enemy. Add to that the fact that it's incredibly tedious to play mages in Skyrim. They do small amounts of damage and burn out quickly, so much more often then not I just find myself spending the majority of my time in combat running away waiting to regain enough mp to finish an enemy.

Particularly if you're trying to approach harder areas you'll need to do this several times per enemy:
-Attack enemy until mana bar is depleted
-Run away until he you're no longer being chased
-Heal
-Walk back
-Repeat 3-4 times
-Move on to next enemy

I like games that let me challenge myself without turning it into a giant tedious chore. In Skyrim I found that the only way I could find using magic enjoyable was to turn the difficulty down low enough that I could kill at least one enemy with a full mp bar without having to run away.

Maybe I'm doing something horribly wrong and there's some easy way to either increase your damage substantially without using more mp or increase your mp substantially. Or perhaps I should be stocking up with enough mana potions that I can use one every ten seconds. Either way despite my efforts Skyrim has never been able to hold my interest long enough to find out

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Also, you don't roll a character in Morrowind. You make choices that determine where points go. There is no randomness involved.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Speaking of somebody who wrote a plugin for Skyrim to try to address the problem, I'd say this top ten list was mostly on the money.

Mathematically speaking, the trouble is that physical damage eventually outclasses magic damage about 4 to 1. Towards the end game, you should be using mastercrafted gear that lets your most meager stab do around 400 damage or more. Now, make it a stealth attack, and that damage is multiplied - my sneaky character was pretty much one-shotting dragons with sneak attacks with bows. Throw in some magical enchantment on your weapon, it just goes even further.

Magic, on the other hand, caps much lower in overall damage, cannot be supplemented by enchantments or smithing (but it can by alchemy, just like physical damage), and they even have the audacity to make it cost mana... granted, if you're wearing enchanted gear, you can pretty much completely remove the mana cost from a spell school or two.

Yeah, there are mods out there that try to address all of these issues. However, I have to wonder why Bethesda is so bad at balance that they didn't fix it before release.

Something not on this list that should be: dragon shouts are redundant with magic. A sword-swinger can get all the cool parts of having powerful shouts to bellow with a nice variety of effect, but a spell-user has spells that render most of those shouts pointless and ends up tripping over the GUI trying to use both.