Bethesda Reveals Dishonored PC Requirements

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Stealthygamer said:
I highly doubt those graphics cards are the minimum, since they are top of the line. Otherwise, pretty darn simple specs, and the hotkeys sound awesome
Top of the line? They are both two generations old and were the lowest level/cheapest enthusiast cards available at the time (I'm not counting the 5830 because they were essentially a broken 5870). Not bad cards either of them, but pretty far from top of the line.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
octafish said:
Stealthygamer said:
I highly doubt those graphics cards are the minimum, since they are top of the line. Otherwise, pretty darn simple specs, and the hotkeys sound awesome
Top of the line? They are both two generations old and were the lowest level/cheapest enthusiast cards available at the time (I'm not counting the 5830 because they were essentially a broken 5870). Not bad cards either of them, but pretty far from top of the line.
The 5850 was AMD/ATI's second best graphics card when it released, while the 460 was Nvidia's 3rd best. Yes, they are two generations old, but one would still need to spend around $130-150 to get that level of performance nowadays. That's definitely not the level you want to set minimum requirements when making a PC game.

(And nerd nit-pick: the 5850 technically was a "broken" 5870 as well. That's the way PC graphics cards work: AMD and Nvidia design and manufacture chips, but those chips don't always come back as fully functional. Rather than simply dispose of the imperfect chips, they disable the non-functional parts and sell the chips at a lower specification, e.g. the Radeon HD 5870 has a full 1600 shader processors while the Radeon HD 5850 uses the same chip with only 1440 shader processors active. It's a simple cost saving procedure for graphics chip makers).

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Redhawkmillenium said:
I doubt that Geforce GTX 460 and 5850 are the real minimums.
Don't be too sure. From the other requirements it looks like Arkane have opted to go full DX11 with the PC version (rather than basically DX9 with a thin coat of DX11 features here and there that's common) and they might have gotten a little carried away with themselves in the process.

At the end of the day, the final verdict is going to be based on if PC gamers think the resource demands are worth the results.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Neat, its nice to see a developer apart from dice and crytek making use of the PCs better hardware. I'm sure it will run fine on lower end cards if you turn settings down enough.

And the GTX 400 series are not that new, they have been out since 2010 and are 2 generations old.

I would expect to see more of this though, with the new console generation approaching devs are going to be raising the bar with regards to specs. So if you still have XP (which you really shouldn't if you want to play newer pc games because no DX10 or 11 ) then I would swap to win 7 while its still available.

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
m72_ar said:
This specs are for what exactly? What does this game have that warrants such a spec?

And minimum 5850 really?
For what? I'll understand if the graphics looks like the second coming of christ but they are not even at Skyrim level let alone Crysis 2.

Remembering I can run Crysis 2 on extreme on a W7 32 bit with a 2GB RAM and a 1GB ATI 5770 on a Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, I really don't get how this game has a higher spec than Crysis 2 or Skyrim.

These days the only thing on my PC that is different is that I run 4GB RAM and I still run everything flawlessly with some tweaking.

inb4 Hurr Durr RAMs are cheap.
They are but a 64 bit W7 is not, especially if you live in australia

I'm all for the PC GAMING Master Race ultra high spec rig when it is obvious what you're getting. but this game is a multiplat game with an okay graphics and a freedom of choice. None of which requires a spec above and beyond what is currently on the market
These are the most reasonable PC requirements I've seen in forever and the game looks fantastic, and what's this "master race" bullshit? Games will require the specs they require.

(Apologies if you're obvious troll).
No I'm not a troll.

Since when a reasonable PC spec, is higher than the req of two of the most high tech shooter today namely Crysis 2 and Rage.

I would accept that spec if the graphic will make my eyes orgasm constantly, but Dishonored graphic is only average to good level, the physics are nothing that we've never seen before. The entire game is sold based on the freedom and storytelling which does not require high tech. Therefore does not warrant a minimum req higher than Rage, Crysis 2, or Skyrim.

tl;dr: How come a multiplatform game with middling graphic and physics has a higher minimum spec than Crysis 2, Rage, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Redhawkmillenium said:
octafish said:
Stealthygamer said:
The 5850 was AMD/ATI's second best graphics card when it released, while the 460 was Nvidia's 3rd best. Yes, they are two generations old, but one would still need to spend around $130-150 to get that level of performance nowadays. That's definitely not the level you want to set minimum requirements when making a PC game.

(And nerd nit-pick: the 5850 technically was a "broken" 5870 as well. That's the way PC graphics cards work: AMD and Nvidia design and manufacture chips, but those chips don't always come back as fully functional. Rather than simply dispose of the imperfect chips, they disable the non-functional parts and sell the chips at a lower specification, e.g. the Radeon HD 5870 has a full 1600 shader processors while the Radeon HD 5850 uses the same chip with only 1440 shader processors active. It's a simple cost saving procedure for graphics chip makers).
The 5850 at least had less of a powerdraw than the lesser performing 5830. The high power draw is the real reason I consider the 5830 was broken.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Well, that's the first game I've seen that requires something better than the 8800; it's a good thing mine died on me :D
First I've seen with such high ram requirements too.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
JayDub147 said:
Wait, a gtx 460 is the base? My 9800 gt runs Skyrim just fine, and is perfectly compatible with DirectX 9.
You'll be fine. The game is running on Unreal 3 engine. Most PC specs are higher than in reality in order to force PC gamers to buy better stuff.
Xan Krieger said:
The lack of windows XP support is a dealbreaker for me unless they release a patch that makes it XP compatible.
There was a survey on Steam about which OS are PC gamers using. And only 13% still use XP. It's an 11 year old OS. I'm glad developers are finally abandoning it.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
Wow, the min requirements are absurd :X
Way, way above what the first sentence prepared me for. I guess the majority of us won't get to enjoy Dishonored :(

Edit: And this is coming from someone who ran Crysis 2 on high with solid frames.

YunikoYokai5

Jun 16, 2010
I may get this game, my processor just meets the requirements. Does anyone know what game engine they are using for this? I know the one they used for skyrim caused a few problems.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
REASONABLE? You've got to be kidding me.

These specs are a bit too much. I only have 3 GB RAM total and a third of that is used by Vista so... guess I'll be getting this on PS3 unless I'm inclined to upgrade my RAM and possibly graphics card (ATI HD 5450)

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
That's what you call "reasonable" specs? You do realise those specs are an order of magnitude more powerful than a PS360? Why do we increasingly need more and more power to run these console ports? Does anyone know?

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
And here I thought Bethesda had a bias against the PC, well done, can't wait for Dishonored looks great

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Oh look, the PC specs are pretty much the same as every other console port game from the last 5 years.

Was thinking about picking dishonored up, but not anymore. Oh well, money in my wallet.

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
lets see.. my specs are
Amp Phenom II x6 "six core processor" clocked at 2.60ghz
1tb HDD
8gigs of ram
Ati Radeon 5450hd 1gig card
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
RealTex HD Audio 24 bit 192000hz Thx Sound

hmmm Yeah I should be able run this game okay, what do you all think?
Not really, the 5450 is not for gaming and if the 5850 is the baseline then you are out of luck.

You may be able to get it to run but at low settings I reckon.
He'll be fine. Your right the 5450 isn't a gaming card, its just a basic home theater video card, but it will handle the game just fine. I used the same card for Skyrim on Full HD with most of the settings medium to high and it ran smooth. Bethesda may produce buggy games, but the coding behind them that makes the game run is done well so you can even dip below min specs some time.
Just don't try and fraps on that rig in Full HD. Your computer may die a little -_-

tl/dr You'll have no prob playing it speaking from experience with Skyrim (minus the day 1 bugs).