Bethesda Reveals Dishonored PC Requirements

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Xan Krieger said:
lacktheknack said:
Xan Krieger said:
The lack of windows XP support is a dealbreaker for me unless they release a patch that makes it XP compatible.
They've been dropping XP support for the last three years. I'm OK with it, as it seems silly to me to take extra time to design the architecture to account for the quirks of an OS over a decade old. Any reasons for not upgrading?
Because I play so many games designed for windows 98, been on a real retro binge, so if I get windows 7 a lot of what I play won't run. This is not a matter of hardware, I run games like Deus Ex Human Revolution and Crysis 2 just fine. This is a matter of not being able to play X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter on anything newer than XP.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Totally worth the zero dollars I paid for it.
I think I'll stick to my current idea of my next computer having windows 7 and windows XP on it.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
Galen Marek said:
He'll be fine. Your right the 5450 isn't a gaming card, its just a basic home theater video card, but it will handle the game just fine. I used the same card for Skyrim on Full HD with most of the settings medium to high and it ran smooth. Bethesda may produce buggy games, but the coding behind them that makes the game run is done well so you can even dip below min specs some time.
Just don't try and fraps on that rig in Full HD. Your computer may die a little -_-

tl/dr You'll have no prob playing it speaking from experience with Skyrim (minus the day 1 bugs).
Skyrim uses a different game engine than Dishonored. A better comparison would be, say, the Mass Effect games, which use Unreal Engine 3. My laptop has a Mobility Radeon HD 5470, which is a slightly enhanced version of the 5450. I can barely play it at reduced graphics settings and 720p. Like I said before, it would be better to play the game on consoles than to play it with a Radeon HD 5450.

RipVanTinkle said:
Hmm, these requirements trouble me :'(

Escapists! I call upon your observational skills!
How will my rig handle Dishonored?

Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz
1T HDD
4GB RAM
GTX 550 Ti 1 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
You should be fine. The Geforce GTX 550 Ti is a decent card. No need to upgrade for this game.

Deviate said:
Yes, they are far greater than a "PS360". This should not come as a surprise nor be a problem given that the "PS360" consists of ancient, outdated, shitty hardware that's barely counting as a fucking calculator at this point.

We need more and more power to run these GAMES these days, because the games (when moved to PCs) get makeovers and improvements that lets us play them with glorious new graphics, artificial intelligence (the fact that devs have to lower the AI of the npcs because of hardware limitations on consoles is just so very very sad...) and more.

This is a good thing. It is improvement over the old shite. It's progress, without which we'd still be watching green lines on a black screen.
Yes, and this would all make sense if the given specs were just the recommended specs. But the "makeovers and improvements" you speak of shouldn't matter for the minimum; you should still be able to tune down settings to be as good as consoles or worse. And another poster brought up the point that judging from Dishonored's previews, we haven't even seen a sign of many makeovers and improvements for the PC version. Setting the Geforce 460 and Radeon HD 5850 as the minimum makes no goddamn sense when ultimately this is still just a console port and at heart it should still be able to run on console hardware.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
...quad core? I was under the impression games weren't really utilizing those yet, much less recommending them. Interesting.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Well I rather play this on PC then on Console. Why? A game like this can use a bar with 10 slots for spells and so on.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
4 Gb RAM? But I only have 3 Gb because 32 bit OS can't use more than that, right? I hope it runs with less RAM even if the loading times are longer.

I hope it takes full advantage of quad-core processors though.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
LetalisK said:
...quad core? I was under the impression games weren't really utilizing those yet, much less recommending them. Interesting.
Some games have been making use of quad core processors on PC, such as Battlefield 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Jan 22, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
The lack of windows XP support is a dealbreaker for me unless they release a patch that makes it XP compatible.
Umm windows xp ram limit is one of the main issues why. You have keep in mind that XP it's a 32 bit os that only uses 3.25 gigs of said ram instead of all 4 gigs. The bare minimum is 4 gigs to even run the game so that's why they axed windows XP support. Even thought windows XP 64 bit exist that was one of the worse OS Microsoft has ever made next to ME and Vista.

On the replies I can easily get a 5850 for 100 dollars, so it's not that much of update for me if I really need the card to run this game.

Redhawkmillenium

May 5, 2011
I highly doubt that the game would outright require 4 gigabytes of RAM. It's a dang console port, and consoles only have about 512 MB of RAM. But there are other reasons for not supporting Windows XP, like just not wanting to test on it.