Bethesda: Skyrim DLCs "Closer to Expansion Packs"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Bethesda: Skyrim DLCs "Closer to Expansion Packs"

Unlike Fallout 3, Skyrim's DLC will be all about quality over quantity.

Although the rolling hills of Skyrim were born huge, we always knew that they were set to grow further with the release of DLC packs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114177-Skyrim-DLC-Coming-to-360-First] from developer Bethesda. One of the peripheral queries surrounding DLC (aside from, "Does a game this big really need inflated with anything other than new plotlines?") was just how big they'd be and how many of them we could expect to see.

The answer, as it transpires, is this: DLC for Skyrim will be in the form of large and involving packs spread out over a long period of time. Quickfire Operation Anchorage and The Pitt-style releases are out; instead, according to Bethesda, we should expect to see DLC which feels more like a series of expansion packs.

Speaking to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5885983/bethesda-skyrim-dlc-will-feel-more-like-expansion-packs], Todd Howard, Skyrim's lead designer, laid his firm's plans out clearly. "For Fallout 3 we did five DLCs. That was a very aggressive path for us," he said. "Our plan now is to take more time, to have more meat on [Skyrim DLCs]. They'll feel closer to an expansion pack."

"Because that gap is going to be bigger, we want to put little things out for free in between," Howard continued. "We've already done that for PC with the high-res pack. We're trying to figure out what those things are...We knew before release that we were going to support it in a larger way, with lots of updates every month."

So! Big packs, infrequent releases. Just the way we like it, right? The question now surrounds what kind of content we're going to see in these expansion-esque packs. More plots or more towns? Xbox exclusives [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115750-Bethesda-Shows-Off-Skyrim-Game-Jam-Mods] for the first month of their respective releases.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5885983/bethesda-skyrim-dlc-will-feel-more-like-expansion-packs]

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
I for one am looking forward to whatever bethesda decides to put out. They havent done wrong by me yet with their dlc's so i don't expect them to with Skyrims.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
I'd love to see more brought to the Civil War story. Ulfric has been pocketing that sweet crown for long enough. Also, if the word "Imga" is uttered, I'll make the money rain for just one of those elven wannabes.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Thalmor War! and/or continuation on the Civil War, which I guess would LEAD to the Thalmor War...

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Hammeroj said:
If we take them at their word, it's kind of surprising to me they decided to go this route. And yet, not caring about this at all. Skyrim itself is anything but quality over quantity.
Consider the DLC for Oblivion and Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon were very large, and Shivering Isles remains the best dlc available for any game I've played. This isn't out of turn.

They better include some horse armour for old times' sake.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I just hope they do at least two REAL expansion packs this time. I'm sorry, Knights of the Nine was not, and never will be an expansion. It was shit.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Game developers, read this. Comprehend this. Why can't you make DLC this way? Why can't you make people WANT DLC, not NEED it?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sounds good to me. I'd like to leave Skyrim myself. Perhaps go into other territories since they're already in the game. Maybe deal a crushing blow to the Thalmor, or find a hint as to what happened to the Dwarves. Oh! Or find some snow elves! There are so many things they could do, so many mysteries they could answer. I can't wait for these DLCs.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Did Bethesda just admit that I paid Expansion Pack prices for short mission DLC? Not that I didn't already realize that and become willing to commit murder over it, but still.

Maybe this also means that the Expansion Pack DLC will cost full-game prices now. They could even spin it as a good thing. Why not?

F***ing ****-*** ******ery.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Baneat said:
Hammeroj said:
If we take them at their word, it's kind of surprising to me they decided to go this route. And yet, not caring about this at all. Skyrim itself is anything but quality over quantity.
Consider the DLC for Oblivion and Morrowind, Tribunal and Bloodmoon were very large, and Shivering Isles remains the best dlc available for any game I've played. This isn't out of turn.

Indeed. If Skyrim's DLC is anything like the Shivering Isles then they're onto a winner already.

I thought of horse armour the moment I read the section about Bethesda putting out little free things between updates! I'd DL horse armour if it was free! They could at least make it useful and add pannier bags to the saddle as well.

Whatever the DLC happens to be, I just hope it has a strong storyline and doesn't feel tacked on. Some sort of additional story relating to the Dragons would be good as well, you know, might as well make use of them. Especially if it involves Odahviing or Paarthurnax, yay!

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Nooners said:
Thalmor War! and/or continuation on the Civil War, which I guess would LEAD to the Thalmor War...
This just seems like the logical conclusion to that. I killed Ulfric about a month ago in-game and the Jarls are still sitting about not electing a new High Queen. After that happens, I want full on Thalmor kicking action!

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
the video in the article about skyrim mods you linked to doesn't work (something about copyright). I don't know if it is just for Germany...

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Heather, I think your grammar is a little off.

One of the peripheral queries surrounding DLC (aside from, "Does a game this big really need inflated with anything other than new plotlines?")
Shouldn't this read;

Does a game this big really need inflating with anything other than new plotlines?

or

Does a game this big really need to be inflated with anything other than new plotlines?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Sounds good to me. I'd like to leave Skyrim myself. Perhaps go into other territories since they're already in the game. Maybe deal a crushing blow to the Thalmor, or find a hint as to what happened to the Dwarves. Oh! Or find some snow elves! There are so many things they could do, so many mysteries they could answer. I can't wait for these DLCs.
Snow Elves are already in Skyrim, they're called Falmer and they don't like you.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Make expansion packs, and call them expansion packs. It still irks me that people refer to The Shivering Isles as DLC.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Baneat said:
Hammeroj said:

Why do people insist on calling Shivering Isles DLC?

It saw saw disc-based releases. It costed about $30. Which is the standard price for an expansion pack. Shivering Isles wasn't some DLC revelation, it was an x-pack. An x-pack that was on par in terms of content and price with every other xpack that has been released.

Woodsey said:
Make expansion packs, and call them expansion packs. It still irks me that people refer to The Shivering Isles as DLC.
Ninja'd by 12 minutes. Curse you!