Beware: Windows 10 May Update Windows 7-8 While You Are AFK - Update

GreyNicor

Mar 5, 2014
Someone already mentioned it but it needs to be mentioned again:
There exists a tool that completely disables and deletes the windows 10 popups and updates and all the stuff you do not want if you do not want to upgrade.
It is called 'gwx control panel', it's the first link on google.
I'm personally using windows 10 because I got it for free as a student.
But my parents did not want to upgrade and were annoyed and installed this for them, they never had a problem with popups or anything since.
The escapist should really do a PSA on this since so many users do not want to upgrade and are annoyed by the popups.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
Lat time I checked, there were over 400 Windows updates waiting to be installed on my PC.
Just turn off the auto updates and you're good.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I went to 10 and couldn't roll back to 7 even when I wanted to. I have issues on my other computer as with windows 10 in the task manager, it constantly says I'm using 100% of the disc. I can barely click shut down. They've effectively bricked my computer. When I have some time I will have to delete and reinstall 7 from scratch. ugh...

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
wait, "Cortana" and "Microsoft Edge" really exist. I mean, come on, that's totally someone trolling the average internet person. Guess not

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Frezzato said:
Oh. Oops, I assumed that everyone either already knew/didn't care about this or was using Windows 10.

I heard about this dick move over a month ago and sought out a solution, which can be found here [http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/]. Read up on the matter and then use the GWX Control Panel. I can't say with absolute certainty, but it seems safe, plus it works.

I avoided updating my Windows 7 machine for several months because every time I did it tried to download Windows 10, no matter what I tried. Then I installed the GWX tool, eliminated all remnants of Win 10 (and the reminders) and, finally, updated Win 7.

*EDIT*

[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I love you. I'll download that first thing when I'm back from work today. So you've been running it with no issue?

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
I believe the statement by Microsoft is accurate, I think it's highly likely that the users who had their OS "forcefully" upgraded, actually reserved their free upgrade a year ago, and have since forgotten about it because Microsoft was super slow with those reservations.
It's highly unlikely that Microsoft would just upgrade people's OS for three, especially since the free upgrade time has stopped January the 1. So the only logical explanation is that these people reserved their free update, and forgot about it.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Thank you for posting the article and raising awareness : )

So far from what I have found it is automatic updates and the check box "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" are the usual culprits. Microsoft has moved Windows 10 from optional to recommended so it will slip in the update unless it is blocked. This will work for now but I wonder what will be the next step in their nefarious plans.

At work I have our WSUS server and group policies set to block Win 10 prep and install KB's.

There have been plenty of articles about how aggressive Microsoft has gotten with pushing Windows 10 on the user base. It is really shocking how brazen they have gotten over the last few years.

My Kodi media center I have already turned off windows updates as it has a bad habit of using over 50% processing time while I am trying to watch a movie.

The other computers in the house I have scripts set to strip out all that funky town Win 10 prep and preinstall.

I may have to move my surfing and general office stuff at home over to my Linux computers if this becomes any more of a hassle and then just have one computer dedicated for Windows only games.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Qizx said:
I love you. I'll download that first thing when I'm back from work today. So you've been running it with no issue?
There was an update today, maybe 135MB, which required a restart. I think it's the second major update since I used the GWX Control Panel, and thankfully there's no issues so far with either Windows Update or the control panel.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I just saw the article's thumbnail on the main page...

Beware: Windows 10 May Update Windows 7-8 While You Are AFK

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Be aware people MS does not give two shits about your settings, with every auto-update they might change to whatever they want the default to be. Ergo you might have a regular update that changes your settings to "OMG WANT WIN 10 SO BAD, PLZ!", and next time it comes around to check your system will do the dirty with MS.

This is why I always told people to disable auto-updates, and why Win 10 doesn't even give you an option.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
If you are so worried then go to your installed updates and remove the following. KB2976978, KB2990214, KB3035583, and KB3044374. In the optional updates uncheck and select hide update for an update that states free update to Windows 10. Boom, done.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It's so funny to read threads like this. I COULDN'T WAIT to upgrade to windows 10 and here are people panicking like it's the end of the world that they might accidentally be upgraded to a slightly better OS.

Anyway, this only happens if you previously reserved an upgrade. Microsoft isn't trying to force you to upgrade against your will, and they also don't eat live kittens.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I use windows 10, but I made the choice to. This is forced BS and shouldn't be a thing they can do. It's going to cost them.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Olas said:
It's so funny to read threads like this. I COULDN'T WAIT to upgrade to windows 10 and here are people panicking like it's the end of the world that they might accidentally be upgraded to a slightly better OS.

Anyway, this only happens if you previously reserved an upgrade. Microsoft isn't trying to force you to upgrade against your will, and they also don't eat live kittens.
We panic because we've had very negative experiences with Microsoft's auto updates. I shouldn't worry that updating my OS or hell any Windows update won't break my computer for a week and cost me a hundred USD to fix becuase Windows would rather crash within five seconds of opening than telling me what the issue is. My worries are justified.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Olas said:

It still would've been nice to get a reminder:
"You reserved a copy of Windows 10 on such-and-such a date and now it's here. Would you like to download and install it? Yes/Later/When I'm good and ready"

Good software design involves making it's operation and intent as transparent as possible to the user. Even mediocre software design recognizes that doing a whole bunch of irreversible stuff without asking is a bad idea.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Now, see, the thing they're doing here, is trying to redefine "consent" and frankly, they might as well be upfront about it and threaten everybody directly, instead of trying to drag this out.

Win10 might be perfectly fine for some folks, but that's because it was agreed upon. People must be given a choice if they are told that it is a choice. I would have even accepted them sending a hitman.

I would like for yall to reflect on this the next time you try to nag somebody into agreeing with you.

Tommy1138

Oct 22, 2015
I'll mention this because it just happened to me lately. Windows 10 home updates automatically and you have absolutely no control over it. Also the updates may not necessarily play nice with your existing software. One played havoc with one of my drivers and basically turned my laptop into an expensive brick until a repair place reset my computer and rolled rolled me back to Windows 8.1. I was not bloody happy about it.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Microsoft it seems is preparing to drop the biggest bomb with Windows 10.

Step 1: Make it free for everyone
Step 2: Force the rest to upgrade
Step 3: Press the 'fuck everyone over' button
Step 4: ?????????????
Step 5: Profit