Beyblades

darksky

Jun 8, 2010
I still have mine in a little shoe box.
Feelsgoodman.jpg

Ironically, one of my friends suggested I take mine in to college to battle with him, after he completely annihilated me at Yu-gi-oh last week :(

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
Wasn't like a cartoon about super powered spinning tops?

=\

Then again Yu Gi Oh is a cartoon about children's card games.

If anyone ever wonders why animé doesnt have main stream acceptance stuff like this is their answer.
you never had a youth or something?
this is more about nostalgia.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Beyblades were awesome. The local Woolworths once even did a competition. I came about 6th out of 20-odd.

You don't mess with a wide-blade, low-sitting beyblade. Need to get some power on it to make sure it doesn't rock, but it works damnit.

ASaw they were on sale on Amazon again. I wonder if they're still down in the shed...

[Fallacy]

Oct 27, 2008
Beyblades.
I used to bloody love those things, at the time they seemed about the coolest thing ever. Ahh, nostalgia trip; simpler times.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I think I still have a lot of them somewhere. They were fun for a while.

Counterwise

May 1, 2010
I still got the gray one. Plastic, ray was it's name I think. They used to be the bizang. Warms a special place in my heart, or is that the booze?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It was a couple of years after my time, but I watched a bit of the series.

Yu-Gi-Oh may have been a show about childrens' card games, but Spinning Tops? Seriously!? IIRC only the main cast could see the cool monsters and the rest of the Stadium full of people would flip their shit over 20 seconds of spinning tops hitting each other and falling over.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Those things were the most face-wrecking toy a kid could buy. I don't know how something that dangerous/awesome was allowed on the market, but I'm glad for it. I have several tops and a couple of plastic "arenas" at my parents' house. Wolborg and Draciel were my personal favorites: they could seriously mess you up.

WereWraith09

Jul 22, 2009
I remember I was the first kid at my primary school to get one. The one and only time I was officially cool!

Then all the Maori kids started using the tops off old Drink bottles, launched off a pencil with string... To be honest they worked better than the real thing, but at the time it was WAR!!!!

sonicguru

Apr 21, 2010
loved them, i had a tool box full of parts and launchers. i like the anime as well and to quote it 'let it rip!' good times.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
I watched the TV shows, but the actual toys were crappy cheap gimics, so no, I didnt buy any, and among my pokemon, Magic, Yu-gh-io, RP friend none had any either.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
A Pious Cultist said:
ShadowsofHope said:
I don't play it anymore like that, but it's not a "children's game". Just like videogames aren't, despite media attention, "solely for kids".
It was actually a reference to that whole Yu Gi Oh Abridged thing that people I know over the internet keep talking about.
Fair enough, then.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Man... I was top fucking dog of my school because of my beyblade. It modified, probably illegally, and next to impossible to beat. NEXT to impossible, my bliss was shattered when this one girl with an even more illegal wieght disk, seriously, this ************ was insane. Then, on the final day of grade 6 (year 6, 6th grade, whatever), me and her had one final round. Mine hit hers just right, and it richet'd off he stadium thing, went horizontal, and still in full spin, hit the nearby cement barrier that keeps cars from parking on the grass, and split in half. That's right, after years of almost always losing to that fucking weightdisk, I destroy it on the very last go. That was that.

Kawatoo

Feb 13, 2009
Me and My friends were just talking about this show today, I had one that unmodified made my brothers completely blow up just hitting it once it was so great that fucker had like golden attack rings. I think I still have it to.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I used to love them, I watched the show too for a while. It's too bad the toys were such shitty quality, because they could have been really lasting as a toy. I remember they were banned at my school after some kid launched one during class and shattered his teacher's vase.

Funny that this thread popped up, because just the other day I noticed a couple cardboard stands in different stores with Beyblades on them. I thought the fad had died out like 6 years ago, but I guess they're back now.