Biden v. Trump Election Mega Thread

Who will win the election?

• SleepyJoe

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • It doesn't matter who wins, because we will all lose in some way.

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
The right winning an election still does not inherently teach the Democrats to move left. They just assume they're not being centrist enough. Doesn't help that the donor class pays the establishment to think that way.
That is exactly what they do. The more right the district goes, the more right the democrats feel they have to go in order to win it.

Reactions: Tireseas

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Huh, I thought they're would be more mental gymnastics involved in justifying the biden allegations. Little disappointing that it's just a lazy "fuck 'em". The onky good rapist's a blue one I guess. Oh well dems and libs go on claiming to be the good guys.
*shrugs* If they both did it, oust them both.

If both are true and we call for democrats to remove Biden, then we call for Republicans to impeach and remove Trump. We still didn't hear out the woman who claimed Trump and Epstein raped her as a 13 year old because she was afraid to speak. And given how the members of the Republican party have been acting, I say it's a valid worry.

I'm fine with both getting what's coming to them if they both did it. Yes, indeed fuck them both if they are rapists. And also fuck people who try to silence people because it's politically inconvenient for the truth to come out. But likewise I have no time for people who try to make Democrats the only ones who have to follow the laws and rules and give Republicans some sort of pass because we expect less of them, so it's ok if they do less.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
*shrugs* If they both did it, oust them both.

If both are true and we call for democrats to remove Biden, then we call for Republicans to impeach and remove Trump. We still didn't hear out the woman who claimed Trump and Epstein raped her as a 13 year old because she was afraid to speak. And given how the members of the Republican party have been acting, I say it's a valid worry.

I'm fine with both getting what's coming to them if they both did it. Yes, indeed fuck them both if they are rapists. And also fuck people who try to silence people because it's politically inconvenient for the truth to come out. But likewise I have no time for people who try to make Democrats the only ones who have to follow the laws and rules and give Republicans some sort of pass because we expect less of them, so it's ok if they do less.
Though we don't have any credible reason to believe they BOTH did it, we have credible evidence that Trump has raped and sexually assaulted multiple women but we don't actually have credible evidence Biden has:
Just read the articles linked there.
Even Trump's former wife said Trump raped her under oath, where she could be prosecuted for lying. Trump has a long trail of court documents and pay off hush money here, and a parade of credible women making these accusations, which is a huge difference than the only constantly changing unreliable accusation against Biden. To conflate those two things as the same is honestly pretty screwed up considering the differences here.

If someone said this about you, wouldn't you want people to actually look at the allegation here instead of just comparing you to Trump of all people?

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
What if their candidates are shifting to the right and losing votes though? That's what happened in 2016 and revealed in 2012, 2012 in particular lost 5 million votes for Obama after his left wing image got trashed as a cover for right wing policy.
That's one possible explanation. In each of those elections, the Republicans also increased their vote on the last election. So, if Dems lost votes and Republicans picked them up, a strategist can conclude the country is shifting to the right.

Note, I don't subscribe to the latter explanation. But it's an obvious and fairly robust one statistically.

Meanwhile over here we have the Democrats throwing wrenches into their own primaries. One of the most prominent fuckups is Amy McGrath who the DSCC (Chuck Schumer's group of the DNC) endorsed early and poured funds into making sure she won the primary.

It has since become a debacle, with McGrath getting pounded by Mitch McConnell in a move that surprises literally nobody. Even now the best thing strategists can come up with is it's making Republicans waste time, and that's not even agreed on.

Long story short, McGrath isn't the only one, Democrats will overturn grassroot support if it means keeping right wing candidates running, even ones who say stupid shit like McConnell doesn't lick Trump's ass enough.
Yep, the primary process is a fucking mess and needs a severe attitudinal and systemic overhaul. The point remains, though, that grassroots support doesn't necessarily translate to actual meaningful country-wide support, regardless of interference. It's just not a good indicator. It only really tells you about a small, relatively contained section of the populace.

Well not following policy has caused their voterbase to shrink twice while successfully tricking people into believing you'll work left wing policy got the single largest turnout for a general election ever. And it's taking finance margins of 5 to 1 to win against left wing policy in primaries. I think there is substantial evidence that the Democrats focus on right wing policy to appeal to centrists isn't working.
I agree, it's self-defeating, and they desperately need a gear-change.

Where we disagree is that I identify perennial left-wing infighting, abstentionism, and devaluing one's own vote as integral parts of the reason this is happening in the first place.

There are a lot of progressives who've been effectively abandoned by the American electoral system. They could, potentially, become an enormous and powerful voting bloc. But they're also highly unreliable voters-- much more so than "centrists" or right-wingers.

In a way, this speaks to their benefit: they actually care. But there's a danger than progressives have overestimated their own leverage, and misinterpreted how their actions will play on the national stage. A large amount of abstention or an unreliable nature within a voting bloc threatens to make that bloc an unwise investment of time or resources, speaking purely strategically.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
That is exactly what they do. The more right the district goes, the more right the democrats feel they have to go in order to win it.
That's because the Democrats are morons. Probably shouldn't reward them for that.

Eh I should edit that. The dems aren't morons. They know what they're doing. Keep the show going and they get to keep reaping the rewards. Joe biden is a millionaire. He doesn't need to be president, he'll still be filthy fucking rich. He'll get some consultancy work, or deliver some speeches or write a book. He just needs to make it look there's two sides to this.

Last edited:

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Though we don't have any credible reason to believe they BOTH did it, we have credible evidence that Trump has raped and sexually assaulted multiple women but we don't actually have credible evidence Biden has:
Just read the articles linked there.
Even Trump's former wife said Trump raped her. Trump has a long trail of court documents and pay off hush money here, and a parade of credible women making these accusations, which is a huge difference than the only constantly changing unreliable accusation against Biden. To conflate those two things as the same is honestly pretty screwed up considering the differences here.

If someone said this about you, wouldn't you want people to actually look at the allegation here instead of just comparing you to Trump of all people?
Oh, completely.

I'm merely stating if there was malfeasance committed, I'd want the political person brought up on charges. No matter if they are on 'my side'.

I'm more annoyed that everyone is gung-ho of prosecuting Democrats to the fullest extend of the law whenever anything comes up for them, but everyone shrugs and goes "Oh, you" when it's a Republican.

We have a litany of things to try Trump over.

I'll never make light of rape. As a victim of it myself, I know how it shapes you. I'm stating I wish to see people have as much anger for both sides and the acts they do instead of this "GOTCHA, DEMOCRATS AREN'T PERFECT" thing that a lot of people seem to be reveling in now.

I mean, can we for a moment just see the bias against Democrats in this very poll? Joe Biden's name isn't even one of the choices. It's Sleepy Joe. We don't call Donald Trump the "Commander-in-Cheeto" or the "Orange Angry Man". He gets to have his name.

I'm not a democrat any more. I'm a progressive. But it gets tiring to always hear how Democrats aren't perfect while the Republican party is actively committing crimes this very day to get their party ahead.

Reactions: lil devils x

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Double-standards for Democrats is a tale as old as this nation. Remember when Bill Clinton was pursued for getting blown by NEWT GENGRICH, who at the time was cheating on his second wife(I think it was the one dying).
Barrack Obama has 2 daughter with one woman, Trump has 5 confirmed children with at least 3 women and yet Obama is the anti-Christ and Trump is a strong supporter of family values.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
That's one possible explanation. In each of those elections, the Republicans also increased their vote on the last election. So, if Dems lost votes and Republicans picked them up, a strategist can conclude the country is shifting to the right.

Note, I don't subscribe to the latter explanation. But it's an obvious and fairly robust one statistically.
Well not quite, Republicans didn't really pick up the votes. Romney got a million votes more than McCain, but Obama lost 5 million, that's just a huge turnout gap.

Yep, the primary process is a fucking mess and needs a severe attitudinal and systemic overhaul. The point remains, though, that grassroots support doesn't necessarily translate to actual meaningful country-wide support, regardless of interference. It's just not a good indicator. It only really tells you about a small, relatively contained section of the populace.
But if it happens reliably, and is the alternative to a strategy that has proven to be unsuccessful, it's hard to argue in favor of the unsuccessful strategy like the Dems are.

I agree, it's self-defeating, and they desperately need a gear-change.

Where we disagree is that I identify perennial left-wing infighting, abstentionism, and devaluing one's own vote as integral parts of the reason this is happening in the first place.

There are a lot of progressives who've been effectively abandoned by the American electoral system. They could, potentially, become an enormous and powerful voting bloc. But they're also highly unreliable voters-- much more so than "centrists" or right-wingers.

In a way, this speaks to their benefit: they actually care. But there's a danger than progressives have overestimated their own leverage, and misinterpreted how their actions will play on the national stage. A large amount of abstention or an unreliable nature within a voting bloc threatens to make that bloc an unwise investment of time or resources, speaking purely strategically.
But it's quickly becoming a case of it being no other choice for the Dems. The advantage of our crappy voting system is that a progressive voting bloc can hold a national party hostage. But that only works if the threat is credible.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
That's because the Democrats are morons. Probably shouldn't reward them for that.
So basically is what you are saying is then make the district go even further right than before under the right wing control and make sure that can never change. Got it.

There are not enough progressives districts in the US to hold a majority with progressives alone, so they have to unite with moderates and conservatives to gain a majority. The ONLY way to gain a majority to have control over what can even be voted on at all is to flip BOTH moderate and conservative districts, and a good number of them at this point, as the entire country has been moving right over the last few years under GOP rule.
See how this works:
Democrats = Conservatives, moderates and progressives.
GOP= Conservatives, moderates and far right.

District is held by the GOP.
There are not enough progressives in the district to win the district on their own.
Dems offer a moderate or a conservative democrat candidate in an attempt to flip district.
Progressive Dems boycott over this, thus they lose the election entirely.
District is still held by GOP.
(repeat)

Yea, Punish them! that will fix this.. That makes plenty of sense. You aren't harming moderate and conservative democrats, you are just harming progressive democrats and rewarding the far right, who has been getting the most gains as of late. That mindset is why we now have a supreme court that will rule all progressive agenda unconstitutional. That worked fantastic didn't it?

Reactions: Tireseas and Worgen

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Double-standards for Democrats is a tale as old as this nation. Remember when Bill Clinton was pursued for getting blown by NEWT GENGRICH, who at the time was cheating on his second wife(I think it was the one dying).
Barrack Obama has 2 daughter with one woman, Trump has 5 confirmed children with at least 3 women and yet Obama is the anti-Christ and Trump is a strong supporter of family values.
I thought he was blown by Monica not Newt. I have a Buddy the Dog Plushie with Monica's panties in his mouth and a Bull; Clinton like this:

( yea yea I know what you REALLY meant.. Just had to.) XD

You are correct, in that say a Democrat sexts a woman it is somehow WORSE than say, the GOP speaker of the house being a serial Child molester and no one even bats an eyelash. Yea. It has worked this way for a long time now. These days, the Democrat doesn't even have to have done anything at all, the GOP just repeat a lie enough times and people will unquestionably believe it.

As we saw in 2016, we STILL have people repeating the crap that was proven false about Hillary, as no matter how much proof they have been shown that it was untrue, they still casually throw it around like it somehow really happened when it was just made up. GOP and allies have figured out they can make up whatever they want and people will believe it over the truth more often than not, so it always works well for them either way and the GOP is never held accountable either way so it is a win for them regardless.

Last edited:

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
So basically is what you are saying is then make the district go even further right than before under the right wing control and make sure that can never change. Got it.
The people who don't stand to face the worst of the status quo are often perfectly fine with perpetuating it to punish everyone else.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well not quite, Republicans didn't really pick up the votes. Romney got a million votes more than McCain, but Obama lost 5 million, that's just a huge turnout gap.
It doesn't matter whether or not the Republicans picked them up from the Democrats. Whether the Republicans picked up those extra votes from undecideds, or previous Democrats, or even just population growth, the takeaway for a strategist is that the country has a greater appetite for right-wing politics than it did four years earlier.

But if it happens reliably, and is the alternative to a strategy that has proven to be unsuccessful, it's hard to argue in favor of the unsuccessful strategy like the Dems are.
The alternative is to divorce the entire primary process from money and heavy corporate interference.

But these decisions are not based on throwaway sentiments like, "what have we got to lose?"-- they're based on complex weighing of risk and reward. Unreliable voters are high-risk, and low-reward.

Hence why students have been shafted by the political establishment here in the UK for so fucking long: they're highly unreliable voters, resulting in a depressed turnout. Pundits have long speculated that if the right candidate were to make the effort with the student demographic, they could tap into that well.

Jeremy Corbyn did just that: he promised major ameliorisation of the student loan burden and free tuition (as we used to have), as well as appearing at events like Glastonbury festival. He got a rapturous reception there. Students turned out to his speeches in huge numbers, and he enjoyed a massive boost in activist sign-ups.

And his vote did increase among that demographic. But... y'know, loads still stayed home, because students are flighty as hell, and can be put off by a single policy among dozens. Turnout was still poor.

But it's quickly becoming a case of it being no other choice for the Dems. The advantage of our crappy voting system is that a progressive voting bloc can hold a national party hostage. But that only works if the threat is credible.
Past behaviour indicates to me that the threat is not credible. That's because the possibility that they'll stay home if they don't get what they want is very real.... but the possibility that they'll stay home anyway is very real too.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Disgusting. Unfair. I demand these dying old men suffer for my amusement.
Hyperbolic sarcasm or have you really taken that big of a jump from the cliff already? It's honestly getting hard to tell anymore...

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
It doesn't matter whether or not the Republicans picked them up from the Democrats. Whether the Republicans picked up those extra votes from undecideds, or previous Democrats, or even just population growth, the takeaway for a strategist is that the country has a greater appetite for right-wing politics than it did four years earlier.
Only if we ignore what happened in those four years. Obama got revealed as a much more right wing candidate than what was initially promised. He went right and his turnout plummeted. It takes willful ignorance to look at what happened and say "Yup, the country moved right". Of course Democrats are paid to be willfully ignorant.

The alternative is to divorce the entire primary process from money and heavy corporate interference.

But these decisions are not based on throwaway sentiments like, "what have we got to lose?"-- they're based on complex weighing of risk and reward. Unreliable voters are high-risk, and low-reward.

Hence why students have been shafted by the political establishment here in the UK for so fucking long: they're highly unreliable voters, resulting in a depressed turnout. Pundits have long speculated that if the right candidate were to make the effort with the student demographic, they could tap into that well.

Jeremy Corbyn did just that: he promised major ameliorisation of the student loan burden and free tuition (as we used to have), as well as appearing at events like Glastonbury festival. He got a rapturous reception there. Students turned out to his speeches in huge numbers, and he enjoyed a massive boost in activist sign-ups.

And his vote did increase among that demographic. But... y'know, loads still stayed home, because students are flighty as hell, and can be put off by a single policy among dozens. Turnout was still poor.
And the "weighted risk and reward" approach nearly cost the election in 2012, did cost it in 2016, and whether it will work against someone like Trump after four years in 2020 is still up in the air. Clearly the methodology at work here is severely flawed.

Past behaviour indicates to me that the threat is not credible. That's because the possibility that they'll stay home if they don't get what they want is very real.... but the possibility that they'll stay home anyway is very real too.
Past behavior on propping up centrists on a centrist platform in the presidential election has so far only worked once in 40 years for the Democrats without there being a major right wing spoiler candidate. I can appreciate coldly calculating odds, but it's blatantly obvious the Democrat plan isn't working and is the least pragmatic path they can take. You can say students and young people don't vote regularly and that's true. What's also true is the highest Dem turnout came when they lied to young people and got them to vote. What categorically hasn't worked is appealing to the center. It has objectively failed every time. The one time it's gotten a candidate into office, it was an incumbent and they still plummeted in popularity, losing over 7% of their total vote. And they lose more when they go further right.

The only way they can come to the conclusion that going right is successful is if they ignore their own voting numbers. Which is precisely what they do.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The most absurd thing I have come to realize over time is that we have people willing to rant online, march in the streets, but then many of those same people then skip out on election day. Younger voters are unreliable, it was like Bernie's primary "youth" turn out, they just didn't. We can only win elections if they get off their arses and vote, no matter what they did the rest of the time matters if they missed the most critical part.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So for those who say people hated Hillary more than Biden or were less inclined to vote for her than Biden.

Ken Bone (who the media had fun mocking for his reddit posting history) voted Hillary in 2016 but will be voting independent in 2020

So it seems like people are moving away from the Democrats at least the undecided ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.